close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who else thinks CLP is for rusty pliers?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by CitizenOfDreams, Mar 24, 2010.

1. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

So, after seeing so many praises (GlockTalk) and product placements (Jerry Ahern's books) of CLP, I finally bought a spray can of Break Free.

First I tried it on a pair of rusty pliers. :whistling: Worked like a charm. The rust was gone, the metal became shiny (except a few spots), the action was light and smooth.

Now, cleaning a Glock was a different story altogether. CLP does wonders to rust, but it's no match for Hoppes #9 in removal of lead, carbon and powder. Also, CLP is the nastiest substance I ever touched since my little sister grew out of diapers.

And what's the deal with cleaner and lubricant mixed in one? Some parts of a modern gun should be lubricated, other parts should be left clean and dry. It's not you granddaddy's World War I autoloader that needs to be oozing oil.

So, in my humble opinion, CLP is nothing but overhyped WD-40 that should be used for cleaning rusty pliers and kept away from guns. Anyone else thinks the same, or am I missing something? :dunno:

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

seems like a good idea for tools, just spray and forget.

3. farley45

farley45

I really like CLP, and I think it works great for how I use it.

I do not like to use it to clean anything. I don't think it does a very good job and can leave too much on the firearm.

4. GAFinch

GAFinch

Does it do better than WD-40 on tools?

5. Yamadad

Yamadad

Whatever. I like it. To each there own.

6. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

It doesn't clean out lead or copper, but it does remove most powder residue. After a short range visit, it's a good cleaner. After an extended visit or after a couple thousand rounds, a stronger cleaner is needed. As far as lube goes, it's mediocre at best. That being said, it's cheap, easily available, and better than rem-oil. I use it.