Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
15,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For decades, I kept a 12ga tactical shotgun by the door as the answer to the best, most capable, and versatile long-gun I could have as a home-defense weapon whether I lived in town or in the country.

I've had stock 870 Police scatter guns, then Vang Comp custom 870's, then a Weatherby PA489 Tactical.

Then, in 2016, I started actually thinking about home defense and what would actually work the best. First, I needed a weapon that was maneuverable in my small home. My 40" pump 12 gauge was a bit unwieldy.

Then, I needed something that had a light so I could light up interior rooms and the yard to see what the threat was. My shotgun had a mount and a good flashlight. Good to go.

Then, I needed a weapon that would stop a threat without going through the neighbor's house and killing the next neighbor's kids in their beds. 9mm and 00 buck were about equal.

Next, capacity was considered. This was a door weapon. It is the last-ditch weapon to grab to address a threat. I would grab this weapon and either retreat to an inner room, or venture outside to confront an unknown threat. How many rounds were acceptable? 3? 5? 10? The answer is always the more, the better when it comes to capacity.

I found the 6-round capacity of my tactical shotgun to be horribly inadequate.

The next consideration was tactical utility. How was the weapon in terms of how easily it was deployed or stowed during actual use?

In other words, If I am going through my home with a weapon, and I encounter a situation in which I need to use both hands to resolve, then how easy is the weapon to stow while I resolve the issue?

An example would be if I am alerted by an alarm due to my home alarm system being tripped. I grab my HD weapon and head to the alarm panel. When I arrive, I need both hands to disarm the panel. What weapon and carry system would be superior? What if I encounter an intruder and confront him with my weapon and light and he immediately surrenders and is compliant? I then have to search him for weapons and deploy restraints while using my cell phone to contact 911.

All while retaining control of a weapon.

In every possible realistic scenario of a homeowner confronting a threat either inside or outside the home, the typical 12ga pump shotgun with a light came up as wholly inadequate and vastly inferior to a 9mm AR pistol.

I have the Extar EP-9 with a red dot, single-point sling, 32-round Glock mag, and red dot sight.

It is the answer to every weakness of the 12ga pump for home defense, for less money, more reliability, and ease of use.

Air gun Trigger Toy Wood Gun barrel

·
NRA Life Member
7,073 Posts
Thats awesome you found something that works well for you!

This is just me speaking personally...I'm not going to go clear my house. And I clear buildings often at work. I feel confident that I have enough measures in place that I will be provided ample enough warning that somebody is about to make unlawful entry into my home. As soon as they breach, they will be met with a leveled 12 gauge. The 8 rounds loaded in the gun, and the other 11 rounds attached to the gun will be enough. The issue will end right then and there. If they decide to tuck tail and run, all the better. I will not run outside even with a WML to pursue them. I don't have to smoke somebody and I will turn the surveillance video over to LE.

God forbid this even happens...every situation is different. I may react differently, but this is my plan A.

·
Novice
2,191 Posts
To each his own by whatever commando magazine you have read. For my home defense it is a handgun. If things are going sideways the AR's are locked up. I really can't imagine a scenario in my suburb where I will need more than a handgun and one reload.

It's your fantasy, live it how you like!

·
Super Moderator
5,982 Posts
Who else replaced their HD shotguns with something vastly superior?
I'll go with "No One" for $500 Bob. :)

The OP might have replaced "a" shotgun with something more appropriate for him, but "vastly superior" is just hyperbole.

Yes I have an integrally suppressed 9mm in the rotation, and a pistol, and a suppressed AR and a pump 12g loaded with slugs. Don't know what I will choose, and under what circumstances, but so far, in the half a dozen times I have put a gun in my hand while I was inside my locked, alarmed home, it has always been a pistol.

Choices are good, training is better.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
This is just me speaking personally...I'm not going to go clear my house.

I feel confident that I have enough measures in place that I will be provided ample enough warning that somebody is about to make unlawful entry into my home.

I will not run outside even with a WML to pursue them. I don't have to smoke somebody and I will turn the surveillance video over to LE.

God forbid this even happens...every situation is different. I may react differently, but this is my plan A.
^
^
This 100%

I live in a 2 story home and everyone sleeps on the top floor. We have a security system with 5 cams. if the alarm trips at night, I only need to defend the top of the stairs. No need to play Rambo against possible multiples in the home. No one is getting up those stairs. Once LE arrives and the numbers are in my favor, then the situation has changed.

Stairs Wood House Wood stain Rectangle

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Glad you found your solution.
I think I will have to disagree with you on this one. First option in a home invasion situation is whatever I have on me.
Fallback gun Is a mossberg 930 SPX. Used to be a mossberg 500 but as I’ve aged some I seem to shoot the 930 better. And more comfortably.
And as many before have said. I’m not going in search of an intruder. If they want us they have to come down a fairly long hallway to get to the bedrooms. I’ll just defend that and wait for the cavalry.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For decades, I kept a 12ga tactical shotgun by the door as the answer to the best, most capable, and versatile long-gun I could have as a home-defense weapon whether I lived in town or in the country.

I've had stock 870 Police scatter guns, then Vang Comp custom 870's, then a Weatherby PA489 Tactical.

Then, in 2016, I started actually thinking about home defense and what would actually work the best. First, I needed a weapon that was maneuverable in my small home. My 40" pump 12 gauge was a bit unwieldy.

Then, I needed something that had a light so I could light up interior rooms and the yard to see what the threat was. My shotgun had a mount and a good flashlight. Good to go.

Then, I needed a weapon that would stop a threat without going through the neighbor's house and killing the next neighbor's kids in their beds. 9mm and 00 buck were about equal.

Next, capacity was considered. This was a door weapon. It is the last-ditch weapon to grab to address a threat. I would grab this weapon and either retreat to an inner room, or venture outside to confront an unknown threat. How many rounds were acceptable? 3? 5? 10? The answer is always the more, the better when it comes to capacity.

I found the 6-round capacity of my tactical shotgun to be horribly inadequate.

The next consideration was tactical utility. How was the weapon in terms of how easily it was deployed or stowed during actual use?

In other words, If I am going through my home with a weapon, and I encounter a situation in which I need to use both hands to resolve, then how easy is the weapon to stow while I resolve the issue?

An example would be if I am alerted by an alarm due to my home alarm system being tripped. I grab my HD weapon and head to the alarm panel. When I arrive, I need both hands to disarm the panel. What weapon and carry system would be superior? What if I encounter an intruder and confront him with my weapon and light and he immediately surrenders and is compliant? I then have to search him for weapons and deploy restraints while using my cell phone to contact 911.

All while retaining control of a weapon.

In every possible realistic scenario of a homeowner confronting a threat either inside or outside the home, the typical 12ga pump shotgun with a light came up as wholly inadequate and vastly inferior to a 9mm AR pistol.

I have the Extar EP-9 with a red dot, single-point sling, 32-round Glock mag, and red dot sight.

It is the answer to every weakness of the 12ga pump for home defense, for less money, more reliability, and ease of use.

View attachment 1096916

You are going to find yourself in a wrestling match if you search anyone.

Best have them lay flat on the ground until police arrive. Let them do the pat down.

·
Registered
795 Posts
^
^
This 100%

I live in a 2 story home and everyone sleeps on the top floor. We have a security system with 5 cams. if the alarm trips at night, I only need to defend the top of the stairs. No need to play Rambo against possible multiples in the home. No one is getting up those stairs. Once LE arrives and the numbers are in my favor, then the situation has changed.

View attachment 1096937
You could defend that location with a stick.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You defend your home with what you train with most. At least that's how I was trained. Before I believe the largest or fastest caliber was the best course but after hearing that idiom from someone I believe it more. I do have an AR15 or SBR AR staged but it's my handgun that my primary and is my home defense tool. I live in suburban setting too if that's a factor.

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,433 Posts
Sold all of my SG's. Had them all set up quite nice but decided to go with a PCC platform as a back up to my pistols (19X has the role of HD pistol). Works better for me (y)

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
You defend your home with what you train with most. At least that's how I was trained. Before I believe the largest or fastest caliber was the best course but after hearing that idiom from someone I believe it more. I do have an AR15 or SBR AR staged but it's my handgun that my primary and is my home defense tool. I live in suburban setting too if that's a factor.
It is much easier to get good hits with a shogun than a handgun, besides, a 12 gauge owns handgun distance gunfights.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts