GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Sneet
15,544 Posts
Iowa Service Hobby, In Des Moines. It was a place where people hung out. I joined IPMS and the meeting were held there. I still have the Binks airbrush I bought there when I was 16. It still has the $35 price tag on it. I built a lot of plastic airplane models, using Microscale decals. The store still survive, under another name and different side of town. I always stop in when I go out to visit Mom.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Fortunate here, there is one close.

Models, airplanes, cars, tanks, Railroad Trains, tracks, grass, people, cars, trucks, exacto knife blades, balsa wood, rockets, wheels, remote control cars.

They don't have any race cars, track, etc though

Reactions: TGT

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
They are few but, STILL exist!
This is the one I go to for most everything. It's only 15 miles form the house.
Hobby Express. Cranberry Township, PA
front-to-back, side-to side and floor to ceiling...

Trains, Planes, Boats and automobiles along with just about every tool, battery, motor, glue, wire, radio, receiver and parts to make them all go! Also, TONS of art supplies you can't find anywhere else. (Well, maybe China and a 4,5-week wait!)
Here's just the train section!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMgSW0haebg
Looks like a road trip is in order for me! I’d go broke if I lived close to there.

·
Moved on...
9,886 Posts
Looks like a road trip is in order for me! I’d go broke if I lived close to there.
If you are into radio-controlled anything, the very back of the store, the entire back of the store, is nothing but radio-controlled cars and whatever else. They also have a decent supply of hard to find drone batteries.

Reactions: jimcorbin

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,254 Posts
I miss having store where people knew what they were selling. Over the past few years I've gone to various stores looking for:
- Belt Dressing
- Contact cleaner (AKA Tuner cleaner) for electrical contacts
- A Pumice stone
- Rubbing compound

And all I get are blank looks from 19 year olds.

Reactions: TGT

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Loved those places as a kid. Model trains, rockets, planes, tanks, cars, accessories and a whole shelf full of Avalon Hill board games. When I was a kid I had all the time but no money or attention span, now I have the money and attention span but no time...

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
....a whole shelf full of Avalon Hill board games...
YES! Avalon Hill board games! I do miss those. They are still around, somewhere, but it is near impossible to find anyone to play with.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
YES! Avalon Hill board games! I do miss those. They are still around, somewhere, but it is near impossible to find anyone to play with.
Some of the titles are still in print under other companies but AH is defunct as a wargaming creator. They are a Hasbro subsidiary now and the only original AH games they still make are Acquire and Diplomacy. I remember being a teen and dreaming about attending their convention for the tournaments. I also loved reading back issues of The General, their scenarios and after action reports were great.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts