Who else misses the old style Hobby shop?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TGT, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Eddy Current

Eddy Current

I loved hobby shops and Radio Shack as a kid. I built model cars, and loved wiring things up. Spent hours at RS, going through switches and lights, got interested in CB radios. Spent all my allowance money on a Used CB radio at one point, and hooked it up in the back seat of my mom’s car. :p Growing up was fun back then.

orangejeep06 and TGT like this.
  2. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I sure miss the shops. I still do model railroading but now I have to buy online. The last train shop we had here closed a year ago. I still have some AMT model cars in the boxes in the basement. I might get around to building them once I retire.

TGT and orangejeep06 like this.

3. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Well the times have changed, kids for the most part do not even go outside to play. Electronix's have replace good what use to be what we did, go outside, and play. Waiting for mom to screem you name loud, ________ dinner time.

I go out to dinner, look across the dining room, and family of four is at another table. All four are on electronic devices. If a resturant does not have FREE Wi-Fi, they are not busy. So most place have a sign on door, FREE Wi-Fi.

Don't people talk no longer?

orangejeep06 likes this.
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

Anyone ever build a "Visible V-8" model?

orangejeep06 and yep380 like this.
  5. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

They are few but, STILL exist!
    This is the one I go to for most everything. It's only 15 miles form the house.
    Hobby Express. Cranberry Township, PA
    front-to-back, side-to side and floor to ceiling...

Trains, Planes, Boats and automobiles along with just about every tool, battery, motor, glue, wire, radio, receiver and parts to make them all go! Also, TONS of art supplies you can't find anywhere else. (Well, maybe China and a 4,5-week wait!)
    Here's just the train section!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMgSW0haebg

jimcorbin, TGT and orangejeep06 like this.
  6. gunowner1

gunowner1

We had a bait shop like that. We would go buy minnows, or blood worms and a 50 count of 22LR. Fish in the morning and shoot cans in the afternoon.

TGT, orangejeep06 and Kawabuggy like this.
  7. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

Were you in Chicago when Stanton Hobbies was around? I remember them from the 60's into the 80's, and they shut down not too many years ago. That place was great.

8. yep380

yep380

You, and probably everyone else. Me and my buds rode our bikes everywhere, all day, everyday.

Yep, me and my dad.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  9. rogn

rogn real dogs

Our little town of maybe 4000 had 2 old school "sporting goods" shops and they didn't sell tennis rackets but they might order them. One had a fair amount of tackle but his focus was guns and some basic smithing. They would always take time to talk with and direct the snot nosed kid/teenager and try to steer them(me) right. Good selection of guns. The other one at the other end of town looked like he had turned his front room/parlor into his store. tables and shelves along the walls and a couple of big tables in the middle. It was hard to believe how much stuff he had crammed into that little shop, more focus on fishing tackle but I think I bought most of my guns from him. If he didn't have it he'd get it quick. And a good source of hunting and fishing information. Both shops were real and didn't tolerate BS from employees or customers.
    There was a good hobby shop in town too. The stuff was fascinating but I built a few models but was never happy with the results, kits were too crude and I didn't have the skill to redo the kits. However I did buy a lot of Jet-x fuse from them. I built a number of home made rockets some of which were rockets and some were bombs. That was interesting so I made a lot of real bombs and canons and such. Made a lot of my own propellants. If kids today did what I did back then the FBI, Homeland security and a bunch of other agencies would be working overtime. Never caused any harm out side of shooting down a pretty big dogwood tree in the yard. That took some creative explaining!
    Those were good times in so many ways. We as a generation built models, rockets, and rode bicycles and walked a lot. Went off all day by ourselves and got back for dinner. Didn't have to worry much about those with evil intentions. Was a different kind of world then.

TGT and orangejeep06 like this.
  10. pgg00

pgg00

We had a few as kids. Great places. Don't see those anymore. Kinda sad

pag23, TGT and orangejeep06 like this.
  11. as400guy1

as400guy1

Nope.
    Lived in burbs until 2001

JohnnyE likes this.
  12. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

I remember my cousin getting th Visible Women by Revell, I remember taking him to our Barber Shop for advance education one day when I was sent for haircut.

Back then the Barber Shops had both Playboy, and Pent House to read while waiting for a hair cut. Boys back then did not fight getting a haircut.

My dumb cousin made the mistake of telling his parent about his advanced anatomy lesson. Let's say I got in troble, and a** whip in.

image.jpeg

13. TGT

TGT

Collo,
    Do you remember the "Choo Choo" diner in Huntington Village when your hamburger plate arrived to you via a Lionnel Train? My Mom took me there a couple of times in the early 60's. I didn't get to know any of the Hobby Shops out there except a Slot Car track, as I moved out at 13. The Estes Rockets, plastic models, .049 Cox Planes, Gilbert Chemistry sets, etc, was the foundation for the hobbies I still engage in today....r/c planes and wood working.
    This 34" Guillow's Stuka was one of the first Radio-Control Planes I built about 30 years ago. The Big Bertha Estes Rocket has been converted to accept home-made black-powder engines that I was making up until 9-11-01.
    IMG_0027.JPG
    Radio Control 34" Guillows balsa and tissue covered Stuka.
    IMG_0024.JPG
    Big Bertha model rocket.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG

Estes "Big Bertha" model rocket I dug up from 19 years of storage a few months ago. I modified it back in the day with a larger engine chamber. The small factory Estes engine seen in the photo demonstrates how much larger my home-made black-powder engines would fit at the time. Put a stick on those engines and add a little bit of heavy charcoal granules to make quite an impressive skyrock for July 4th too. lol. That all ended for me on 9-11 when I sensed hobby pyrotechnics would likely be frowned upon.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    yep380 likes this.
  14. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Awe man. Worst day of my life was when the local hobby shop closed my senior year in high school. Place was called hobby world. I used to build middle all the time. Planes, cars, tanks and ships. I even got into wwii diaramas. I had a one on display at hobby world when I was in Middle school. It was a couple german soldiers by a brick wall that a sherman tank was busting thru. When my eyes were good and I didn't shake I could do some detail! I used to drill over the RC cars too. Always wanted the porsche 959 rally car that tamia made. We have a hobby town about an hour away but it's a small one.

15. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Oh, and my favorite models were the robotech ones. We had a place called k b toys, kinda toy close out place but it always had the robotech models.

16. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

What scale are you looking at?

17. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I didn't know this was there and I stay in Cranberry a couple of days every few months for work..

18. Tvov

Tvov

Connecticut has a few large hobby shops... I think the best is Time Machine Hobbies in Manchester. Great place. Has a model railroad club attached to it, with a big layout upstairs that they run one or 2 days month open to the public.

They also set up "The Portal" across the street in a small office building and moved all their "gaming" stuff there - board games, Magic, Star Wars, 40K, etc. They regularly host gaming nights which can get crowded.

If everyone wants these places to stay open, you need to shop at them!!!

TGT and tuica like this.
  19. tuica

tuica

I’m fortunate to have one about 15 minutes away. I still have all of my Scale Modeler magazines from the late 60’s, early 1970’s. Not Fine Scale Modeler. But Challenge Publications, who were also responsible for Air Classics, and Sea Classics.

And because I’m a Saver, I still have many of my aircraft, and armor models. Along with a goodly remnant of my Minitank, and Airfix soldiers collection.

TGT likes this.
  20. as400guy1

as400guy1

My son and i did 40k back when the company had "bunkers".