GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
18,151 Posts
I had to go 50 mile to find a good hobby shop, well, it was the only one in the area. They had the planes both static and RC hanging from the ceiling. They also had a large RC German panzer on display.

Reactions: pag23

·
"Cynical Little me"
7,149 Posts
We had "Hobby Models" in the 'hood for decades and hell yes I miss places like that. It was a candy store to model builders like me and as a kid I was in there all the time.

Now the 'hood looks like Hell, I wont go into details and wish I had better news to report. I wont even go back there. I also miss the old Kodak store back when film was actually a medium used. I still love the colors and grainy look of film.

·
NRA Life Member
4,778 Posts
A lot of them closed down in the last 5 yrs near me, and I miss stopping in and picking up a kit or two.

There are still a few around but I am pretty much done buying kits right now... Heck I haven't built anything in awhile either.

I might start selling a bunch of what I have...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
To me this whole thread brings back the glory days of being just a kid and learning "life". Politics were not even on the radar nor were the pressures of what is considered today's PC culture. I was into buildings model cars, balsa planes but mainly rockets. The introduction to igniters was incredible, in fact I now have a few small cannons. Same principles just larger projectiles and more gun powder!

·
harborrat
2,112 Posts
I've got one right around the corner from me. The only time I've ever been in there was once when I was redoing a damaged antique chalkware statue that originally was finished with a bronze wash. They had every color of spray paint you could imagine. I got the "antique bronze" and it worked fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I was a kid in the 70's, there was a hobby shop that we used to go to all the time. Al's Hobby Shop was run out of the basement of Al's tiny suburban ranch house which had an outside entrance. In the mid 70's, Al looked to be about 80 years old, so I can't say how much longer it was open after the early 80's when we were driving and had other interests. His tiny basement shop was packed floor to ceiling with plastic model kits, balsa airplane kits, model rockets, flight line planes, RC planes, kites, and all the other stuff you'd expect in a hobby shop. We'd all ride our bikes there at least once a week in the summer. It was in the next county and was about a 15 - 20 minute bike ride away.

I can't even imagine today's parents allowing their kids to go without parental supervision to an old guy's basement. That was half the apeal back in the day. We could get there on our own, buy a new rocket kit, or some nitro fuel for our flight line planes. We'd figure out a way to strap our purchases to our bikes and we'd ride home. He also had a several acre back yard where he trained people to fly flight line and RC planes. Not once did we ever tell our parents where we were going or how long we'd be gone when we were kids. I think in all the years I went to Al's Hobby, I was driven there once by my dad when I bought a plane too big to get home on my bike. We also never left Al's without buying a candy bar or an ice cream sandwich. Good times!

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
One of the largest model railroad hobby shops, Caboose Hobbies in downtown Denver, lost its lease a few years ago and decided to close. Someone bought much of the inventory and reopened as Caboose Hobbies in Lakewood, A suburb of Denver.

Don’t know how well the new store is doing. Hopefully well.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Yep! Ours was called Wimples Bait Shop!!
Ours is still open,it’s called Dag’s. Just a very small shop but way more knowledge and such that the big box outlets will never have..

Reactions: TGT and flyover

·
Anti-Federalist
17,736 Posts
I built model cars in junior high and high school back in the 60's and my last year of high school I used to race slot cars but not the kind of cars that ran on a round track. For a while in southern California there were 1/24th scale drag strips that were black Formica and about 50 feet long. ET's were measured in seconds and tenths of a second and good qualifying time was about 1.25 seconds. at the end of the drag strip the about ten more feet covered with a loose silk parachute for the cars to run into and slow down after the timer was tripped and the power shut off.

There were no commercial slot car dragsters ore even kits made back then and you had to make your own car ftom scratch.

We made the frames out of sheets of 1/8th thick magnesium and bolted the frame pieces to the sides of a big square DC motor with a re-wound armature, and at the front of the frame was an aluminum axle with two small narrow skinny tires made of O-rings mounted on narrow aluminum wheels.

The rear tires were originally foam rubber airplane tires for gas-powered balsa wood planes and were round tires that had to be turned on a lathe so that they were teh same size and had a flat surface like racing slicks. Cutting them down also made them more like 1 24th scale size from what they were originally.

A good friend and I started mounting 1/24th scale model car bodies on our dragsters and turning them into funny cars. My friend had a 1965 Chevelle el Camino body that was super lightweight because it had no windshield or rear "glass" and the bed of the truck was covered with a "tarp" that was made out of paper.

My car was made by some company that made cars out of very thin clear plastic that you could paint on the inside and the paint job would look perfect but you'd have to mask the windows. They came with an interior but I left that out and "tinted' the windows black. I happened to find a 1965 dodge and painted it to look like Landy's 1965 Dodge funny car. That same year, we used to see Landy run that car at Lions drag strip in Long Beach, Ca.
That's really cool info. Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Their is one in Everett Washington that I tried to visit each time I went up for work.

I miss Slot and Wing Hobbies from my childhood. Owner had a huge rc B17, ball turret moved and it could drop drop bombs as well. IIRC it had a 16 channel radio to control all the stuff it could do.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The Caboose, Huntington village N.Y. I would imagine it's long gone. Mid to late 60's my Mother would take me there. I was a big fan of the English Matchbox and Corgi metal cars. Later on the Tamiya plastic models.

·
woo woo
30,326 Posts
I used to have a bunch of HO scale slotcars as a kid...Tyco, Aurora/ AFX and a big track.
There used to be a hobby shop on 68th and Kenmore Way, it was like being in wonderland for a kid like me; every imaginable AFX magna traction (the slow ones), baja bugs, vegas, Porsche 917s and the Tycos like the Scoal Bandit or Richard Pettys STP car, all in the jewel cases.
They had everything.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics

Brought back some nice memories, a nice period of time in my life

·
Registered
820 Posts
I used to go to "Arlen's Hobbies" in downtown Puyallup WA in the mid- late 70s to mid 80s. He was a great guy, (kinda looked like Tom Clancy did on the flap of some of his early books). My first airplane model was an Aurora brand P-51. He had trains, paint, plastic kits, metal models, balsa, magazines. One of the cool things that came out were fighter planes that had like a "chrome" plating on them, so a P-47 or P-51 could look like the unpainted versions I read about. A "friend" of mine stole a little bottle of Testors black paint, just to smash it on the nearby RR tracks. I didn't look at him the same way for years. (He has turned into a fantastic man/husband and father). I still have a BUNCH of kits, a P-40, B-29, etc., probably two dozen. Taught our boys to build models as well. When middle kid came home on leave from the Marines, he and his brother built cars.

·
NRA Life Member
5,367 Posts
My Name is Pierre, and I used to be a Hobby Store Addict...
:cheers:

I went clean for a while when chasing the wimmens... then there was the street racing... but I never inhaled...

Then... I got a *whiff* of competition shooting...

My Name is Pierre... and I am a Glock & AR15 addict...
:waving::waving::waving:

21 - 40 of 110 Posts