Who else misses the old style Hobby shop?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TGT, Oct 30, 2020.

1. flyover

flyover

I had to go 50 mile to find a good hobby shop, well, it was the only one in the area. They had the planes both static and RC hanging from the ceiling. They also had a large RC German panzer on display.

pag23 likes this.
  2. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

We had "Hobby Models" in the 'hood for decades and hell yes I miss places like that. It was a candy store to model builders like me and as a kid I was in there all the time.

Now the 'hood looks like Hell, I wont go into details and wish I had better news to report. I wont even go back there. I also miss the old Kodak store back when film was actually a medium used. I still love the colors and grainy look of film.

TGT and Ranger357 like this.

3. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

We need to talk....

pgg00, TGT and orangejeep06 like this.
  4. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

A lot of them closed down in the last 5 yrs near me, and I miss stopping in and picking up a kit or two.

There are still a few around but I am pretty much done buying kits right now... Heck I haven't built anything in awhile either.

I might start selling a bunch of what I have...

5. Wojo88

Wojo88

To me this whole thread brings back the glory days of being just a kid and learning "life". Politics were not even on the radar nor were the pressures of what is considered today's PC culture. I was into buildings model cars, balsa planes but mainly rockets. The introduction to igniters was incredible, in fact I now have a few small cannons. Same principles just larger projectiles and more gun powder!

pgg00, TGT and orangejeep06 like this.
  6. skorper

skorper harborrat

I've got one right around the corner from me. The only time I've ever been in there was once when I was redoing a damaged antique chalkware statue that originally was finished with a bronze wash. They had every color of spray paint you could imagine. I got the "antique bronze" and it worked fine.

7. JeffG78

JeffG78

When I was a kid in the 70's, there was a hobby shop that we used to go to all the time. Al's Hobby Shop was run out of the basement of Al's tiny suburban ranch house which had an outside entrance. In the mid 70's, Al looked to be about 80 years old, so I can't say how much longer it was open after the early 80's when we were driving and had other interests. His tiny basement shop was packed floor to ceiling with plastic model kits, balsa airplane kits, model rockets, flight line planes, RC planes, kites, and all the other stuff you'd expect in a hobby shop. We'd all ride our bikes there at least once a week in the summer. It was in the next county and was about a 15 - 20 minute bike ride away.

I can't even imagine today's parents allowing their kids to go without parental supervision to an old guy's basement. That was half the apeal back in the day. We could get there on our own, buy a new rocket kit, or some nitro fuel for our flight line planes. We'd figure out a way to strap our purchases to our bikes and we'd ride home. He also had a several acre back yard where he trained people to fly flight line and RC planes. Not once did we ever tell our parents where we were going or how long we'd be gone when we were kids. I think in all the years I went to Al's Hobby, I was driven there once by my dad when I bought a plane too big to get home on my bike. We also never left Al's without buying a candy bar or an ice cream sandwich. Good times!

pgg00, TGT, Combatcomm and 1 other person like this.
  8. railfancwb

railfancwb

One of the largest model railroad hobby shops, Caboose Hobbies in downtown Denver, lost its lease a few years ago and decided to close. Someone bought much of the inventory and reopened as Caboose Hobbies in Lakewood, A suburb of Denver.

Don’t know how well the new store is doing. Hopefully well.

TGT and JohnnyE like this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

I think I made every WWII plane and battleship there was....

...man, that glue used to get me dizzy...stink up the whole kitchen...almost couldn't wait long enough for it to dry, so I could begin painting it...

TGT, lazarus66, flyover and 1 other person like this.
  10. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

The one I remember had a slot car track in the back room.

I spent a lot of my lawn mowing money on slot cars.

pgg00, TGT, flyover and 1 other person like this.
  11. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Ours is still open,it’s called Dag’s. Just a very small shop but way more knowledge and such that the big box outlets will never have..

TGT and flyover like this.
  12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

That's really cool info. Thanks for sharing that.

TGT and seagravedriver like this.
  13. bfg1971

bfg1971

Their is one in Everett Washington that I tried to visit each time I went up for work.

I miss Slot and Wing Hobbies from my childhood. Owner had a huge rc B17, ball turret moved and it could drop drop bombs as well. IIRC it had a 16 channel radio to control all the stuff it could do.

TGT and orangejeep06 like this.
  14. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

The Caboose, Huntington village N.Y. I would imagine it's long gone. Mid to late 60's my Mother would take me there. I was a big fan of the English Matchbox and Corgi metal cars. Later on the Tamiya plastic models.

15. Berto

Berto woo woo

I used to have a bunch of HO scale slotcars as a kid...Tyco, Aurora/ AFX and a big track.
    There used to be a hobby shop on 68th and Kenmore Way, it was like being in wonderland for a kid like me; every imaginable AFX magna traction (the slow ones), baja bugs, vegas, Porsche 917s and the Tycos like the Scoal Bandit or Richard Pettys STP car, all in the jewel cases.
    They had everything.

16. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Thanks for the post and pics

Brought back some nice memories, a nice period of time in my life

17. lazarus66

lazarus66

Built a bunch of airplanes but ships and armor, too. Sadly an overabundance of fireworks wiped out my collection.

TGT, papershoot and flyover like this.
  18. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

I used to go to "Arlen's Hobbies" in downtown Puyallup WA in the mid- late 70s to mid 80s. He was a great guy, (kinda looked like Tom Clancy did on the flap of some of his early books). My first airplane model was an Aurora brand P-51. He had trains, paint, plastic kits, metal models, balsa, magazines. One of the cool things that came out were fighter planes that had like a "chrome" plating on them, so a P-47 or P-51 could look like the unpainted versions I read about. A "friend" of mine stole a little bottle of Testors black paint, just to smash it on the nearby RR tracks. I didn't look at him the same way for years. (He has turned into a fantastic man/husband and father). I still have a BUNCH of kits, a P-40, B-29, etc., probably two dozen. Taught our boys to build models as well. When middle kid came home on leave from the Marines, he and his brother built cars.

19. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

My Name is Pierre, and I used to be a Hobby Store Addict...
    :cheers:

I went clean for a while when chasing the wimmens... then there was the street racing... but I never inhaled...

Then... I got a *whiff* of competition shooting...

My Name is Pierre... and I am a Glock & AR15 addict...
    :waving::waving::waving:

20. katana_user

katana_user

I still model railroad... I struggle sometimes getting what I need. Wish we had a time machine!

Michael

TGT, JohnnyE and orangejeep06 like this.