Who does your taxes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bearshoegun, Jan 18, 2010.

1. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

I used to go on base and use the tax preparers they had available for free but it was a simple ordeal. Then we switched to tax preparation software but now need a more detailed preparation.

Is H&R block what most people use or do they just plug in your data into software I can buy?

Whats the more popular/detailed route to go? Thanks.

2. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

My accountant does ours. You can do your own I'm sure, or use turbo tax.

3. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken

I do my own, it really is not hard if you have all your papers in order.

4. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I use a local CPA...small firm but old firm, but the best I've seen. Doesn't really cost any more than the H.R. Block places that open up in January, and disapear come the end of April.

It's nice to be able to deal with the same person over the years, something that 's hard to put a price on. If your taxes aren't complicated then you can go almost anywhere and probably be OK. When I started working foreign, the taxes got a lot more complicated, and my last CPA had me paying in extra BIG time. My new guy got it all back by filing amendments to previous years and it was a substantial amount.

I'd recommend going to a CPA, find one you can trust and stay with him. If you're taxes are simple this year, they may change in the future and become more complicated, and it's nice to have a standing relationship with a good tax person.

But NOTHING and NOBODY will ever make dealing with taxes a fun time!:steamed:

5. area727

area727 G23

My wife, because she's a CPA :tongueout:

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Local accountant for me. Same person that handles my business accounting, and has for years.

7. AWJGlock19

AWJGlock19

AWJGlock19 does mine! Ha! If you have a fairly simple situation, turbo tax should be fine. We have mortgage deduction, interest income, child care deductions, charitable contributions, etc. stuff like that. If you have a small business or something then maybe a CPA, but if your situation is normal turbo tax should be fine.....

8. W4CNG

W4CNG

My wife does. She is a CPA with 3 other sets of initials behind that one. She is a Principal in her firm and it's Free. Yes, find a good CPA and stick with her.

9. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

Do my own and agree with the turbo tax comment for most situations..........

10. community

community Member

I have always done my own with Turbo Tax even though I have to use most of the Schedules (A,B,D,E, etc) works for me. knock on wood, but never been audited.