close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who Do You Think You Are? Home Edition...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G30Jack, Mar 19, 2010.

1. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

Has anyone done the geneology thing? My daughter got hooked watching the show on TV and did the ancestry.com thing. I've been helping and it's seriously cool to see where the family lines take you.

On my paternal g-ma's side we are some of the first settlers of VA and MD in the early 1600s. Further back we are Norman invaders that got "huge tracts of open land and a castle in a swamp". Tracing another line got us to Edmund De Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March and Phillipa Plantagenent, so far. The lines are expanding into Wales, Scotland and Ireland, so I'll be interested to see where they end up.

2 weeks free on ancestry.com. Well worth the investment of time and bonding with my daughter, priceless.

2. paul45

paul45

Early 1600's, .....Norman invaders.....did "they" keep such records from 400 to 1000 years ago?

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

My uncle does that. He's got a bunch of stuff where one line of our family came over on one of the famous ships and promptly went to prison for something or other. It figures :supergrin:

4. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

Hell.. I don't even know who my father is and my mother's family is all dead.

My 'family tree' is like that little sapling that sticks its head up through the ashes after a forest fire. :faint:

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I tried that ancestry.com stuff but I can't find s***.

6. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

The English of that period were good record keepers. Everything went through the church. And you'd be surprised what is available from the 1600s.

7. Mass10mm

Mass10mm Armed Yankee

My family came from Quebec (most recently), and from France before that. Back in the 1960's, a relative got involved in genealogy and traced us back to 1648, when a single mother and her 10-year old son showed up in Quebec. I am a direct male descendant from that boy, and I have the names, dates of birth, marriage, and death of everybody in between.

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I got one branch that walked the Trail of Tears. You want to know horrid record keepers? American Indians. Woof!

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

1076 - first census of the Britons. (Why the hell do I still know that crap?)

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

My brotehr is SO into all of that. Went on vacation to Ireland to find stuff. Has done tons of research. I honestly don't care. Knowing how far back I can trace my lineage won't put food on my table or help me raise my kids right. But if my kids ever care, he's already done all teh work. ;)

11. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

Part of the fun is doing this with my daughter. Still very cool to know who your ancestors were.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  12. Adjuster

Adjuster

How do you know that its not all just bullcrap? Do you actually get to see a photo of the document from the 1600's or something. I see a high potential for scam in these lineage websites.

13. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

That would be tough to trace.

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Yeah, a fully oral history only.

15. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

It's a lot like starting your research on Wikipaedia. You start with the website's information and you write each of the public document places (such as the clerk of records for a county or state) listed and ask about the specific person's birth certificate or marriage license. They send you a photocopy of the document.

You can take it as far as you want to take it. Either believe the original website or write for each public record or anywhere in between the two.

16. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

same here.

17. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

How does one see a book of records to trace your family back like on that credit card commercial?

18. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

The way it works is you put in what you know. And you get hints. For instance, I saw the 1910 census book page for my grandfather. You also depend on the other several million people that have done research before you. You are leveraging all that effort to continue your lineage. If the dates don't match, verify. There are a butt ton of databases on line with all this information. Millions of people put in hundreds of millions of hours researching, cataloging and doing data entry. That's a lot of work I can coat tail onto.:whistling:

19. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

There is no information on my father's side.

20. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

I went to a library on a whim where I knew I had family. They had the actual bound census books. This was 25 or so years ago but if you know where to look, all of this stuff is available to you.