Who carries regularly? (Or, what the hell happened, Texans?)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jame, Aug 4, 2019.

1. fredj338

fredj338

It's not a farce but it is misplaced sense of security. Most people carry to feel safe & their gun choice is comfort based. They do not shoot their little guns because that isn't comfy. So they will never engage in such a fight, even if they were forced to & they would likely die in the exchange.
    So IMO, if you choose to carry, even a pocket gun, you need constant practice after some good training to really be prepared for your uknown fight. I won't carry a gun I can't fight with contact to 100y, 1-3 or more shooters. Train, practice, repeat.

2. Gfive45

Gfive45

3. dubito

dubito

I carry regularly. Lately, I've been carrying my Kimber K6s .357 Magnum with 3" barrel.

Last month, I had to leave my Parish after the Rector decided to push for the posting of "no-gun" signs. In addition, the Archbishop decreed that guns could not be carried in the Narthex, Nave, or Altar areas.

In my final e-mail to the Rector, I contended that "no-gun" signs advertise to active shooters that the congregation would likely contain unarmed and helpless targets.

4. R_P_K_

R_P_K_

I carry everywhere except at work (in the facility). I do not carry with any other expectation other than to protect myself and my loved ones. I'm not being selfish, I'm being practical. I'm not trained or paid to intervene. If I stop a shooting and others are saved because of it it is because of the circumstances that were presented to me. Everyone stating that we should carry more rounds or bigger pistols are talking of situations they play out in their minds. No pistol is a match against the AR, AK, or basically any rifle. If I have the opportunity to flee and get my family, friends out safely that is the obvious choice. Liberals like to say " where were the good guys with guns?". Well this good guy is probably looking for a safe way out. Im I'm not a coward nor am I instructor zero.

5. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

After hearing that there was another threat at a Walmart in Laredo I made damn sure I had my gun and a few spare mags. I live nowhere near there but I’m always wary of copycats.

My motto is this. POGO. Pants on, Gun on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan R Whitaker, Misty02 and glock1097 like this.
  6. wnr700

wnr700

Adding two things I am considering adding to my EDC bag.

Simple plastic old fashioned door jam and a sleeve for the hydraulic part of a door. I have seen sleeves made of recycled fire hose.

GlockyQ likes this.
  7. helidude350

helidude350

A law that lets Starbucks ar15 carriers fire at will that shoot 60 additional victims in the crossfire plus the 22 already down? I don’t see that as being very popular.

I’m amazed he found an employee in the store that actually had access to the gun cabinet.

Misty02 likes this.
  8. fredj338

fredj338

I don't even understand what you are saying.

Bruce M and R_P_K_ like this.
  9. fredj338

fredj338

People don't engage out of fear of being sued. Most don't engage because frankly they are not skilled or trained & often carrying the wrong gear. You don't need a full size duty pistol, but you do, IMO, need something more than a pocket gun with 5-6rds.
    While I would not choose my g26 to go against a marginally skilled rifle shooter, it is a viable option for me. I am trained, I do have skills to engage out yo 50y plus if needed. All that would have been required is turning him into a defensive shooter until the Calvary shows up. So while o am not going looking for the shooter, if he is within my range, yes I likely would have engaged.

10. KikoMonster

KikoMonster

I agree. If you have time to truly deliberate the legal consequences of the aftermath then you probably had better options.
    Unfortunately, those in Broward County forgot their job duties.

Misty02 and fredj338 like this.
  11. Misty02

Misty02

Perhaps those armed were able to get out of Dodge safely without having to engage the shooter? I know I would if the opportunity was there.

PhotoFeller, SevenSixtyTwo and R_P_K_ like this.
  12. napp32

napp32

Have to disagree with your first point. Having been under fire in one situation doesn't guarantee how you will react to another scenario.

As for your question. It is always good to have a plan in your mind....just don't expect things to go as planned when the shooting starts.

Misty02, fredj338 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  13. Misty02

Misty02

In spite training, carrying a G19 and 3 17 round mags, given the option, I would not likely engage an active shooter with a rifle either.

PhotoFeller, SevenSixtyTwo and R_P_K_ like this.
  14. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

I have been under fire yet I cannot answer that question with certainty. The times I was under fire I was lucky enough to have at least a Marine rifle squad with me. As an LEO I responded to "shots fired" and "man with a gun" calls. Happily I was never fired upon in that role. In an active shooter situation like in Texas, considering my age and my condition, I like to think I would at least take cover and engage the shooter if the opportunity would occur. But for certain, I don't know. I hope I never know.

15. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Everything is a compromise - if I was just running to Walmart to pick up 5 things I forgot the day before when food shopping and was in my gym shorts I'd probably only have my 642 in my pocket - I wouldn't engage an AK until he took a break to reload and if I could close the distance which means I'd have to be close to begin with, and even then thats a big IF on many fronts.

If I had my G26, more comfortable. But still, facing an AK is a WTF scenario. Truck guns are rarely likely to be used but its possible some were trying to get theirs. I am still debating just a cheap PSA 10.5" to be kept chamber cleared with 28-29 rounds in the mag and just keeping it in a locked box in the truck - for the $350 for each car it will cost and its a total beater its not a bad idea, but again, very unlikely to be retrieved in that scenario, although I guess 6 minutes is a lot of time to run to your truck and come back to engage.

The only problem is if he hung out by the entrance it would be very easy to see an armed citizen running back towards the store.

So many variables, but have an action plan. Train yourself mentally to always be situationally aware.

What I find baffling after seeing the security surveillance is that he actually walked in with the AK wearing ear and eye pro - I know in my Walmart I'm observing any person walking in or out as I'm pulling up trying to park. Amazed that someone in the parking lot was able to see him outfitted and walking in casually and wasn't able to alert or find help sooner. Its not like he hid it under a trench coat (Unless I am mistaken)

I'll say again though, everything is a compromise - for the "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" scenario, deep concealment is key and my Glock is not going to cut it in the middle of summer in the South, or if I'm just running down the store (compromising to not put my Glock and rig on but still being armed with a J frame)

However, after seeing this event, I just have rocketed P365 to my summer carry rotation as opposed to another J frame.

16. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

I’m a coward and you’re a delusional self righteous egomaniac. I have no doubt, the second you heard a 7.62x39 round wiz by your head with more coming, you’d be scrambling your wet pants the **** out of there with everyone else. You can picture in your little self absorbed mind a perfect adolescent video game scenario but, reality would have you listed as just another fatality. No fanfare in your name. No hero status. Just another count of the dead. Hopefully, you wouldn’t add to the list of innocent victims with your heroic fantasy. :flag:

PhotoFeller likes this.
  17. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan

As MurrayNevada said (he and I have VERY similar backgrounds - Semper Fi) I just don't know. Would I be alone? Highly unlikely as I hate stores. How close am I to the shooter? Far away then its "grab the wife and AMF". Very close and would probably HAVE to engage to save lives (most importantly my wife and mine). I've done quite a bit of CQB and active shooter training as a Fed LEO and now as a retiree - the latest being 3 weeks ago - and still maintain that I don't know.

18. fredj338

fredj338

I think you would if the attack were directly on you or yours. I would. Most of the victims were shot right in front of the attacker with little time to do much of anything. I am sure if your husband just breeched the door when the shooting started & you were behind him, he goes down, you will probably try to stop that attack right in front of you. I doubt you run & leave him there to bleed out. There are literally dozens of diff ways that could have played out depending on where you are in relation to the shooter. All that is sometimes needed is to change the attacker into a defender. He had a plan, by engaging that plan is now out & he probably did not have a plan B. If nothing else you buy time for others to run or hide because they can not or will not fight.
    I have never liked the run, hide fight order of dealing with an active shooter. In my mind hiding has diff meaning. Running is good but we cant always run. If you are an older person or with an older person, running may not be possible, with small children, same thing. In some instance fighting is your best option. A rifle or handgun, inside 20y your skill against his. Beyond that the advantage certainly goes to the rifle. It is not the best scenario but it doesn't mean you don't fight because all you have is your g19. Train, practice, carry enough gun. You rarely get to pick your fight.

Misty02 and FL-obiwan like this.
  19. Orive 8

Orive 8

Agree 100%, I know many carry small little pocket guns daily. Some because they really have too in order to remain utterly concealed. Others, because they are - shall we say "a little on the lazy side".

From time to time when I go to put on one of my smallish guns (currently the two that would fit that criteria are my S&W .38 snub or Glock 42) my wife looks at me and says "Really, are you being lazy today?" While not a full size gun, her EDC since she switched to it in 2005 has been her 26, she's a petite 5' 1 3/8" tall woman. I guess its her way of saying "man up", and carry a "real" gun.

And again, I do know that there are those that have to carry the small pocket gun in order to make it work, but I know and I have heard too many that say "I'll just slip my little LCP/Glock 42/snubby/etc... in my pocket, cuz I'm just heading to the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk."

glock1097, Gray_Rider and fredj338 like this.
  20. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

F058249F-B9E6-4EA1-BB25-41CE1079F0B5.jpeg Honey, I’m gonna run by Walmart to pick up some milk for da bebeh!

Misty02 and glock1097 like this.