Who carries max capacity mags exclusively on sub compact single stack 9’s?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Will Beararms, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

I have always carried full or mid-sized pistols. Handed a Walther PPQ M2 this week with 8 round mag. It and the palm swells of the grip fit my hand well vs. some of the other options.

I have an LE Edition on the way and plan tp carry all 8 round mags. Does anyone else do this with their single stack 9mm sub compact? I don’t see where concealment is an issue. With three 8 rounders and one in the chamber, I will carry a total of 25 rounds and I am good with that.

R13 and Deputydave like this.
  2. Pluto57

Pluto57

My single stack is a .45. The XD/S has 5,6, and 7 round magazines available. I carry it with the 6 rounder and use a 5 round for a backup mag. The 6 and 7 round magazines are too bulky with the sleeve to carry as a backup mag.

3. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

If we can consider the Sig P365 in that category, I carry mine with a 12+1 mag in the pistol and a spare 12-round mag in my Kydex mag holster. That's also 25 rounds on person. I generally carry an EDC sling bag with various items including an additional 10-round magazine in a Ammo Armor case. If I'm going on an extended trip I'll carry a second 10-rounder in the sling bag.

Intolerant, R13, Schrag4 and 4 others like this.
  4. Gokyo

Gokyo

My Kahr P9 flush magazine holds 7+1.

I do not carry it with the extended 8 cartridge magazine.

When I do carry spare mags ( which is rare) I carry two extended 8 cartridge mags.

Recently I have been carrying my Kahr P45 more.

All the above applies but flush fit is 6+1 and extended are 7+1.

Caver 60 likes this.
  5. 45caldan

45caldan

The only time I’ve carried my Shield with the extended mag is with a jacket

Intolerant likes this.
  6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I carry my P365 with the 12 rounder but because of the longer grip, not the extra rounds. The extra rounds are a bonus.

R13, DocPoison, -JCN- and 2 others like this.
  7. TeaDub

TeaDub

I'm the opposite. I carry my sub compacts (single and double stacks) with the shortest mag offered. I do carry a longer one as a backup.

8. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

same, 6 rounder in gun, 8 rounder in single carrier @ 8 o'clock.

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

I do the opposite. I carry only flush mags in my tiny guns. I usually trade the extended mags for flush ones when I buy the gun. 6rds in a PM9 or G43 has proven to be plenty and now a flush 10rd in a 365 would be even better while still being pocketable.

10. Caver 60

Caver 60

For everything except the 365, I use the short magazines, and carry extra extended round magazines.

But the 12 round 365 magazine only adds an extra fraction of an inch to the height of the pistol with the 10 round magazine. And I have extra 12 round mags for it. The 15 round is just too long for me to carry with.

DocPoison likes this.
  11. CAcop

CAcop

For my 938 I use the 6 rounder off duty and the 7 rounder for around the office in plain clothes with no plans to leave the office. 7 rounder for back up regardless of what mag is in the gun.

12. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

When pocket carrying, I have a flush fitting mag in the gun. When carrying IWB, I'll use an extended mag.

I always carry an extended mag as a spare.

smith10 and Caver 60 like this.
  13. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

I agree with in pocket carry, flush fit mag and in pocket holster.
    Tried a couple of nice fitted leather ITP holster, and barely get the pistol drawn! i now use the cheapie Uncle Mikes #3/#4 Pocket models. They shape to the gun and it draws easily. The flush fit mag holds 6 rounds(Kahr CM9), spare 7rd in back pocket. That nice finger extension feels great, but hangs up on drawing from my cargo shorts, or my Wrangler jeans shorts.

Uncle Mikes wear thin, but at $10 a copy, get a couple at a time.
    Ive been trying out a Sticky rig for my 442 S&W snubbie, and it seems well made and can double as IWB. Im old school and like a heavy duty clip on, like Bianchi, DeSantis, or even a Tagua!

Bought some budget kydex models and their clip on seems good too and holster is formed to fit.(Fleabay, $19.95 sans shipping). They do generate a noisy draw, but it doesn't bother me. Hope bad guys don't hear it, hate to do a house clearing after a draw out. I was taught to draw and keep at a mid ready position, if suspects are indeed inside

14. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Mine as well. The P365 gets most of the carry time and it is with the 10 rounder. Back when I carried my G26 it was always with the 10 rounder. My spare mag is always a larger capacity like 12 or 15 rounds because I don’t have to worry about it printing.

Lagamor, TeaDub and Intolerant like this.
  15. fastbolt

fastbolt

Did you mean the Walther PPS M2, which uses 6/7/8rd mags? The PPQ & PPQ SC use double stack 10-15rd mags.

FWIW, I still carry my S&W 3rd gen CS9 with the standard 7rd mag, although I often carry an 8rd mag from my 3913 or 3913TSW as a spare for the CS9 (instead of a spare 7rd spare mag).

Now, before I retired I carried an issued late production 4513TSW (3.75"/.45ACP) for my plainclothes duty weapon, which used 7rd standard mags. I usually carried the 8rd mag from the issued (uniform) 4566TSW as the spare mag/mags.

Now that I'm retired, whenever I carry my original 4513TSW, which has the cutaway grip frame and uses 6rd mags for a flush fit, I carry with the standard flush fit 6rd mag and often carry a spare 7rd mag from the later production 4513TSW days. Not always, but often. I don't lose sleep over +/- 1 round.

Having an extra round in a mag might be handy, granted, as long as the extended length to the grip doesn't interfere with carrying the weapon as desired. Otherwise, why not just opt to carry a larger weapon in the first place?

Nowadays I usually only carry 2 spare mags when I'm traveling outside my normal activity area, or if I'm going to be in more remote areas for a while (and when on road trips I'll slip an extra couple of additional spare mags in my pack or case, as the loss of a mag or 2 can be a risk under some circumstances).

If I were going to buy a new single stack subcompact, like the ubiquitous S&W Shield 9, I'd carry the 7rd mag in the weapon and the 8rd mag as the spare. That's me, though, and my formative years as a young cop meant carrying a 6rd service revolver and my Commander with 7rd mags on my off time. ;)

Capacity still isn't a guaranteed substitution for aiming & skillset.

16. R13

R13 Cracking the skye for a decade

B76990A7-E934-4893-AEF2-B2BBDECFB9C5.jpeg 50BFC8A5-6A2B-4112-B2FF-7C8B36CEBB4A.jpeg I always carry my G43 with my TTI +2 extension and a vickers +2 as a backup mag. I’ve put a lot of rounds through both with not one hiccup. I don’t even have any flush fit for it anymore. Not just for the extra rounds, but also for a better grip and doesn’t print at all. I don’t pocket carry, just not my thing. I don’t carry my 43 as much anymore since I switched to carrying my M&P or G45.

Will Beararms likes this.
  17. Intolerant

Intolerant

Shield45 EDC
    Shortest mag possible in the gun for concealment, 3 extra carry mags on my belt.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Nope. If capacity counted more than concealability, I'd be carrying a different gun. My wife and I each have a Glock 43 with 1 flat-bottom 6-round magazine in them and 2 7-round magazines for reloads (usually only carry one of them).

rock_castle and fastbolt like this.
  19. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

I also carry s “flush fitting” 7 rounder mag (with MagGuts +1) in my G43 plus 1 round in the pipe; and a spare 8 rounder mag (with MagGuts +2 extension) on my weak side or in my pocket. 16 rounds of 124gr HST +P should be adequate for most defensive situations I may encounter.

20. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

I carry compact double stacks as primary EDC guns. That’s usually a g23. I carry the 13 rounders and the 2 spares are 15s. I add another spare if I’m going out with the wife. She carries a 43X.