Who carries a gun they hate?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by H&K .45 AUTO, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

It will never have the punch of the 40 no matter what magic you believe in 40 just has more power to do the work each shot.
    And yes I carry a magic 9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Triple Taps

Triple Taps Previously k9patrol

Some say just practice more and it will build your confidence in the g17.

Even if your department issues Attack Monkeys instead of firearms, it may be possible to practice more with it to help you build your confidence in the new Attack Monkeys.

However, would you ever have the same level of confidence as you had in your firearm?

I personally have more confidence in my Sig Sauer P226 in .357sig, than any Glock I have carried.
    I also have a 40 barrel, but like the .357sig better.
    You have given your reasons why you do not like the Glock gen 5 pistol itself.

Some pistols are just a better fit for you, without considering any caliber.
    I purchased one of the first Glock 19 gen 5 pistols that arrived at our local LE supply store.
    I disliked it enough that I soon passed it on. I just dislike the Glock gen 5, and liked the gen 4 better.

I lean toward giving at least 3 carry options, and allowing officers to pick their own sword from the 3 options.

Also, 9mm, .40, or .357sig could be 3 caliber options.
    However , if all officers have same pistols and calibers, they could share magazines if needed. That is a good reason for all officers to carry the same weapon with same caliber.

3. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Is your M&P a .40? If so, I would take that gun over this 9 mini meter all day/everyday.

4. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    1st gen 9mm.

5. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Lets put it this way... I wouldn't care what pistol I carried, if I were allowed to also walk around with my rifle slung all day. At that point, just like it is for the bad dudes you are referring to, the pistol would be an afterthought. In that instance, I personally would rather carry additional rifle mags than even worry about carrying a pistol at all.

When a pistol IS my primary source of protection, I would prefer it to not be chambered for a round that was chosen for its minimalist nature. It is the cheapest. It has the least recoil. It is the easiest for weaker shooters to qualify on. It inflicts the least amount of damage. These are not qualities that I find reassuring in a weapon that stands as my primary source of protection against evil when I am a person who frequently goes into harms way.

I want a gun that people describe as having too much recoil, too loud, too much blast, etc.

0311B50 and Blackshirt like this.
  6. VicFangio

VicFangio

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. It has far more to do with where you hit them and a little to do with what you load. My department had a very liberal carry gun policy and is involved in alot of shoots. The vast majority (probably 80%) are with 9mm. I've personally seen a baddie take a 9mm pill to the gut and it dropped him like Thor's hammer.

If you're unlucky enough to work for a department that has a company gun train with the thing and get proficient. Otherwise I feel for your partner due to your need to carry a Webly 455 in a cross draw holster or whatever antiquated method you use.

7. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

I consider 9x19 weak enough that I have to change tactics with them, as I do with .32s, .380s, and .38s. For me, 9mm is for breaking contact...no more. I need something I can win with; that will penetrate glass and a leather motorcycle jacket and still have substantial kinetic energy when it reaches the target. I feel a little undergunned without a rifle, so using a "good enough" pistol cartridge is simply out of the question for a primary sidearm. I used .45 ACP all my career at the behest of our management...I guess I drank the kool-aid.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  8. Jesuvuah

Jesuvuah

It also probably the most common round, which would mean you would see more frequent failures.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

9. Triple Taps

Triple Taps Previously k9patrol

Maybe, bad dudes and bad ammo are a good match.

I did not care for the Beretta M92 over the Sig P226 either, but you go with what is given.
    Hand grenades for back up or a Barrett M82A1, depends upon the distance.

Preference is good for us to have, but your department may just like peeing you off, by being cheap. They may not wish to spoil you.

10. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I loved my Sig P226 that was my issued gun until a couple of years ago.

They replaced it with a G17. Hate is a strong word. I don’t think I can claim to HATE it. But it is probably third or fourth on the list of guns I would choose if i could pick my duty gun.

I also had lots of holsters and spare mags etc...I had collected over the years for the Sig so it was quite inconvenient and expensive for me to make the switch.

It almost pains me to admit that I like the Glock. I find them dreadfully boring. It’s never my first choice when going to the range for fun. However, I shot a 287/300 on the FBI Bullseye when I qualified for firearms instructor school. That was significantly higher than I shot with my beloved Sig P226 in .40.

I also really dig the baby Glock backup gun combo. I never fully appreciated it until I started carrying it. I bought a G26 immediately after the switch and have even started carrying the baby Glock off duty in place of my S&W 442 that was my backup and off duty carry gun for most of my career.

So I can’t really say I hate it anymore. But I’d still prolly pick something else if given the choice. Like a P220 or a Beretta 92.

I personally think mandatory carrying of an issued pistol is retarded. A few simple guidelines is all that’s needed to ensure no stupidity ensues. It’s a very personal choice for most people. Our admin, that insists patrol carries the issues gun, happily carry whatever they want that is owned personally....along with the dicks and narcs.

I gotta say that being warm and fuzzy with a G22 and having “no faith” in a G17 seems extreme to me. I liked my .40 also, but I didn’t lose sleep over the switch to 9mm. Cheaper ammo, reduced recoil, and more capacity can be a good thing. Hopefully they issue y’all a good round in 9mm to carry. I would also think switching to the baby Glock for a backup would be a smart choice so you don’t lose your mag interchangeability.

pgg00 likes this.
  11. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg

https://www.policeone.com/police-he...5-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/

The ability to get off rapid on target shots on a threat is far more important that whatever handgun ammo you're using. 9mm, .40, .45, they're all good a poking holes in people, "knockdown" power in handgun ammo is a myth and there is little difference at all in caliber among modern hollowpoint ammunition.

If you're in a situation where a Glock 17 isn't going to get the job done, you need to fight your way to a long gun.

http://abesguncave.com/9mm-vs-40-sw-vs-45-acp/

0311B50 likes this.
  12. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I’m in a similar boat. Went from the M&P40 2.0 to a Gen 4 17. I shoot it well enough, but I don’t have the faith in it I had with the 40, despite all the Gel testing. At least the duty round is the 147gr HST, one of the best for caliber.

13. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I’ve never got to choose my primary sidearm. Sig 226R .40 to Gen 3 G22 to Gen 4 G22.

I don’t like the G22 because I have to work to shoot it effectively. Even the G23 size is much easier. The G27 is easier for me to shoot than the G22. The G22 is just not naturally a fit, for me. The small difference at the base of the grip is enough to be uncomfortable.

The good news for the OP: He is supposed to keep shooting until the threat is over. He is also provided two more rounds, to do this. Sure, people survive being shot. Your odds of being in a gunfight with someone who still has fight in them after catching 18 rounds are much in your favor.

Okay, there’s two bad guys. Chances are good they both don’t need nine rounds. Maybe one needs four and the other ten....you still have ammo left.

Oh no, three bad guys! That leaves up to six shots, each.

See where I’m going? Even with a less ballistic ally superior round, you aren’t sending one and hoping fir the best. If you send less than three rounds, from a semi-automatic, you have poor training.

pgg00 likes this.