Who Can Tell Me About 6.5x55?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Neener Neener, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Neener Neener

Neener Neener

I have someone offering up a CZ550 in 6.5x55 as part of a potential trade. I have no clue when it comes to this round. I did check a couple of ammunition sites to see about the price of ammo, and the one thing that bothered me was they were all out of stock. Anyway, it is a beautiful rifle. The person who has it tells me it is a great cartridge with minimal recoil and a very long rage. Educate me...........

2. banger

banger

This is kind of difficult to answer.

6.5X55 is also known as 6.5 Swedish Mauser.

I have used this round extensively... but only in 1896 Swede Mauser's and to a lesser extent in AG-42B semi-auto.

Perhaps I should state for the record that as I shoot surplus rifles, I generally shoot military type ammo (FMJ).

The rifles that I use have always provided EXCELLENT accuracy, mild recoil, and a pleasantly mild report.

With the fact that I do not use "sporting loads" my hunting type information is limited to reports that I have read indicating that the round is still in wide use in Nordic countries. It has also been indicated that the Swedes and Norwegians use this caliber to take any and all game in northern Europe, up to and including Moose.

I hope some of this helps.

3. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

The 6.5X55 is one of the finest hunting cartridges. I would love to own a Model 70 featherweight chambered in it. BTW the 550 is a good rifle.

4. John Watson

John Watson

Only down side is if you reload the only brass I believe is through Norma and it's expensive. I reload for my K-31 and it is a very accurate round.

John

5. up1911fan

up1911fan

I'd rather have a .264 Winchester myself.

6. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Nosler makes brass for it, and what K31 is chambered in 6.5x55? I think you're thinking of 7.5x55.

The 264 is a belted magnum, and the only thing it shares with the 6.5x55 Swedish is the size of the bore.

This is good info. The 550 is a great rifle, and the 6.5x55 is a great cartridge. If you get it and don't reload, I suggest you start. Factory rounds are made to work in the old Swedish Mausers that can't handle the pressure the 550 can.

7. Neener Neener

Neener Neener

What's the max distance one can expect accuracy from this round (Hornady or Federal)?

8. banger

banger

I can tell you this, Swede 1896's are zeroed at 300 meters. At that distance, with ball ammo, if I don't do 6" or less, there is something wrong.

BTW, it is usually me and not the rifle or the ammo.

This round is simply "magic" when it comes to distance shooting. Personally I have not come across any ammo that was not accurate in this caliber.

However, understand like I wrote above, I use Swedish rifles and fire Swedish ammo.

9. Paul7

Paul7

I've used a sporterized Swedish mauser twice to kill Barbary Sheep, that are supposed to be pretty tough. They went right down. I'm at the age where I appreciate the mild recoil and report. I talkled to a guy who said he'd killed elk and black bear with it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  10. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

Like all 6.5mm rounds, the 6.5x55mm is blessed with bullets that have both excellent ballistic coefficient and excellent sectional density. This lets the round perform in excess of what might be suggested by its mild mannerisms.

The 6.5x55, with a bit larger case loaded to its somewhat mild design pressure, is only about 100fps behind the excellent smaller-cased .260 Remington (which is also a 6.5mm cartridge). And the .260 Remington is used very successfully in 1000-yard target shooting.

For hunting, the current Hornady reloading manual shows the 6.5x55 pushing 140-grain bullets to 2600fps, and recommends it for all but the heaviest species of North American game.

I'd not hesitate to buy a good 6.5x55 rifle and use it for hunting about any lower 48 states game out to 350 yards or so.

-ET

11. blueiron

blueiron

A very underrated round. While I do not own one, a good friend does and after much shooting with it, I wish I had one. Excellent accuracy, mild recoil, efficient use of powder, and ample power for deer and antelope. A bit mild for big elk, but there are Swedish hunters who use it to effect on moose. If you hunt and are skilled, you should have no problems with anything expect the largest and meanest bears.

Surplus Mausers are excellent shooters and the ammo was plentiful [I do not know if it still is].

The caliber is a hidden gem.

12. Esox357

Esox357

I would recommend reloading for it but the round reminds me of the 25.06? It has been used to kill elephants though I wouldn't recommend it. Its suppose to be accurate and deadly on game. I think it is a neat round and would buy one had I not purchased a 25.06. Esox357.

13. vafish

vafish

I haven't had a 6.5x55 since i left Australia.

Great pig hunting round in my experience, I think it would be excellent for white tailed deer as well.. The Swedes even use it for moose hunting.

If I found a 6.5x55 in a trade I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

14. Neener Neener

Neener Neener

I will share my quandary with you.

My end of the trade would be a Noveske N4 with a Daniel Defense Omega Rail on it.

His end would be a CZ 452 in .22 mag with an Intensity 6-20x44 scope and a CZ 550 in 6.5 with my choice of a NIB Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or Leupy 1.5-7x33 scope. He has about $2100 in his two guns, I have about $1850.

While I the CZs are absolutely beautiful, not to mention top quality rifles, I cannot make up my mind whether I want to get rid of my M4. It's making my head hurt!

15. Chainlink

Chainlink

6.5x55 =357.5 OK

Pretty much anything I would have said had been covered. :p

16. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

This could be the best sniper caliber out there.
    It suppose to provide better accuracy at the longer distances than .308, at least according to the local folks.

17. 45caldan

45caldan

I've been keeping an eye out for a carbine ever since I shot my friend's 96.
    It was a very accurate rifle and had mild recoil.

18. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

I have been shooting 6.5x55 since 1987. That was before it became a popular surplus rifle caliber. I have loaded everything from 87 gr to 159 gr bullets. Anything lighter than 110 gr is too light for the surplus guns; they have a slower twist. However the Remington Classic 700 was offered in this caliber with a faster twist and it prefered the lighter bullets (120 vs 139 standard).

The factory Norma ammo is very good, but you need to make sure you get the correct bullet. They make both a target and a hunting load. Both are very accurate and loaded about 10% hotter than any of the American loads. The European Sellior and Belloit ammo is also very good from the factory. But they are hard to come by here in the USA (mainly because they are expensive and few distributors carry it).

THe standard bullet was 139 gr. It is very accurate, and the 6.5x55 still holds records for long distance accuracy that have not been broken in almost 100 years. I know of no other rifle cartridge that can match that.

The 159 gr bullet (Hornady makes them) is very good for wild pigs. It's BC is over 4.25, and it will shoot through 12" of oak and expand.

The 139 gr is good for deer and I would not have a problem using it on Elk. The Swedes use it for Moose, which are considerably tougher.

I have used the 120 (several versions) on antelope. They work well, but if I was looking for one load the 139 could do that.

The light bullets are best for coyote and ground hogs, the problem is finding the right bullet for the gun.

Every one of my 6.5's will shoot well under MOA. My hunting rifle (which has taken all of the above menioned critters) will cloverleaf 5 rounds at 100 yards all day long.

19. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

Winchester also makes brass for this round. I have a couple of 50 round bags in my brass stash.

One of the bags has a price of $25.50 for 50 rounds, but I can't remember how old it is.

20. 390ish

390ish

If you reload, it is probably the best cartridge you can buy other than a 375 H&H.