close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who are dealing with autistic kids

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tongix, Mar 29, 2012.

1. tongix

tongix

2. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

Everybody got a diagnosis now!

3. tongix

tongix

Remains a mystery but i bet they already know it but will refrain from making any conclusions .

4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

waiting for the they aint got no austism , that crap is made up crowd in 3,2,1

5. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

Uhm.... Larger population = more cases??

6. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

My son has autism.
    It's on the ASD and his disability is called Asperger's Syndrome.
    Best kid I know; socially awkward in terms of reading people's hidden agendas or cues; trusting to a fault, kind and caring to a fault as well.
    He starts college in the Fall, has carried a 3.84 GPA through high scholl in 75% AP classes. He has tested out of Calculus, Trig, Stats, Physics and Advanced Algebra and earned college credits in those classes. National Honor Society member.
    Worked at 3M in software testing and developement last summer and will again this summer.
    If you met him you likely wouldn't know he has Autism, you'd just see what most would call a nerd.

7. Naelbis

Naelbis

Given enough time everyone is going to end up labeled wih some disorder. That said, I personally suspect that the rise in autism cases stems from diagnosis creep and environmental factors. We are causing autism somehow, we just haven't figured out how we are doing it yet.

8. ca survivor

ca survivor

miss diagnosed a LOT!!

9. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

This.

A friend's kid was acting wild in school and they tried to hint at the fact that he might have autism, ADHD, and about 10 other things. A kid being a kid is now a disease.

10. powder86

powder86 SHOOT SAFE!

I worked in a lab and did research on Autistic children.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4F2g70IBNo&list=FLvnQBDnR-6iEhaT7KyRDCFQ&index=105&feature=plpp_video"]Mikle South Speaks at EETC 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

this is a great video to learn about autism.
    you don't have to watch the whole thing to get something out of it. it's a report on some research Dr South had been doing, but it covers a lot of basics for understanding autism better, for those who may want to learn a little.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  11. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I deal with two. One of them is nonverbal at the age of 8. He does understand the handsign for NO, mostly. He pretty much wanders around pushing any button and flipping any switch he can find, often running into people or smacking them on his way past, or he spins in circles. Sometimes he plays with Matchbox cars. The other one is 7, VERY verbal (he hardly ever stops talking, and it's mostly about something somewhat related to what we're doing - at least, I can usually follow the logic of his topic jumps), and he spins in circles. I work with him in TaeKwonDo class. He needs a lot of help focusing on task, and he doesn't understand left/right, or "mirror me" or "do what I do" with any consistency. He can follow up to two directions (kick, then punch), but he cannot keep track of which foot/hand to kick/punch with, unless I tap the leg every time. I can't just say, "Kick with the same foot."

I often wonder if part of the reason there were fewer autistic children in the past is because a) people used to lock their mentally handicapped and/or psychologically disturbed and/or simply undiagnosed but problematically odd relatives in the attic... And if many of them simply didn't survive because autism is often accompanied by digestive issues that if left untreated would have weakened them to the point that simple childhood illnesses would have killed them. Also, constant adult supervision was not always possible, and many more may have died of accidents that today's warehousing/schooling at least mostly prevents.

I'm not entirely certain we are causing it, particularly since reading about behavior changes in people caused by contracting toxoplasmosis from cats. If that causes cysts in the brain that cause behavior changes, what else have we NOT found yet?

Mrs.Cicero

12. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

Are there any known contributing factors that may cause one would be parent to be more prone to birth a kid with autism over another person?

13. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

This is most certainly true.

I am so blessed to have an autistic son- I can't imagine someone who attributes autism to misdiagnosis being charged with caring for one of these wonderful people who is like them on the inside, but can't show it.

For the misdiagnosis crowd-
    Spend a day with someone with autism- you'll feel good and you'll also understand the frustration they must feel just bursting to get out.

14. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

When they broaden the definition of autism, of course more kids are going to fit into it. I won't say it is misdiagnosed, but definitely overdiagnosed.

15. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Your description is very similar to my experience the first time I saw an actual real autistic child.

I have been around ONE true autistic kid, and about FIVE who's parents "claimed" they were diagnosed with it. The difference was like night and day. The one with it did things similar to what you described. He couldn't keep his hands off of anything, and would go from happiest kid in the world to raging spawn of hell in 1 second flat. I had never seen anything like it.

With the other "supposed" autistic kids, they mainly just screamed and ran around like a bunch of wild-asses. That's not autism, that's lazy parents. After seeing that kid above and seeing these, I asked the mother why they didn't show some of the same symptoms and she said "Oh, he's just mildly autistic, not severely". And yea, those kids ran around destroying everything the entire time and the parents would do absolutely nothing, because they believed the kids were "sick" and "couldn't help it". :upeyes:

16. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

They say there is a higher incidence of autism when both parents are highly educated in high tech fields. This higher autism rate has been noted in Silicon Valley.

It can be a case of too much of a good thing.

17. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

My nephew has severe autism, and is non-verbal. He is very sweet for an autistic kid though.

18. .44 magnum

.44 magnum

Two of my three children are autistic. My oldest daughter is 6 years old and still in diapers, and only can speak in very short sentences when prompted. My 3 year old son is just starting to pronounce his first words, and is given to extremely violent outbursts. I have relatives who's children have Asperger's Syndrome and it seems that it is quite different from my own children's Autism which is higher on the spectrum. Both of my children are involved in specialized treatment programs and have been making good progress. My wife and I know that our daughter will likely need help for the rest of her life. However, our son is lower on the spectrum and is showing more signs of improvement, so there is hope that he could one day lead an independent life.

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I know someone with Aspergers. She's always been socially awkward and had her quirks, but as soon as she was officially diagnosed (and I do agree with the diagnosis) she began using it as an excuse to act however she wanted, effectively driving away all of her friends and most of her family. Very sad.

20. dbcooper

dbcooper

One of my 4 is autistic, starting to communicate a little but it's rough some days.