GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,029 Posts

I have been told to spray with plain water, soapy water, various insecticides, neem oil, and even use live lady bugs. So what does the GT braintrust say?
My reply will not get banned..find someone you know who chews tobacco...get some of his chewed discards ( yeah, mildly gross)...put in some water to make juice and carefully pour on leaves

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My reply will not get banned..find someone you know who chews tobacco...get some of his chewed discards ( yeah, mildly gross)...put in some water to make juice and carefully pour on leaves
Now that's one I haven't heard yet. I chew tobacco all the time, I'll just start spitting on my plants.

LOL just kidding.

·
X-Nuc
1,386 Posts
I had two jalapeno plants that overnight turned like that. They were just over a year old. My brother who gave them to me and is a better botanist than me said to just get rid of them. They were at the end of their life cycle and it's not worth the effort.

The pic of the leaf looks exactly like mine. I had read that a 1:10 milk:water mix would work. It didn't and those little white flies were everywhere. Sent them both (and the flies) to the landfill.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
All I know is if you happen to make any Tabasco sauce I’d sure like a small bottle.
I slice them open and bottle them with garlic cloves in distilled white vinegar.

I gave away almost all of the bottles I put up. I need to get this whitefly problem under control or just plant new seedlings next year.

Reactions: snappy

·
Registered
19,319 Posts

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I had aphids all over my rose bush. Soapy water took care of the problem pretty quick.

·
NRA Life Member
28,703 Posts
LOL! I think Gulfstreams go a little too fast for crop dusting.

By the way, that looks like the Brevard County mosquito control plane.
I used to work for the BCMC District in the summers. My father flew the county's first Snow S-2 from Texas to Titusville when they bought it. Before then, they flew Stearman PT-17's as mosquito control airplanes.

BTW, Safer Insecticidal Soap will do the little buggers in.

Reactions: Hannie Caulder

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Reactions: flyover

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Your peppers have been around a few years. My wife had some kind of ornamental pepper in the ground and it was looking good until the frost got it Monday night. The peppers looked like it had multi colored Christmas tree light bulbs. Central Florida weather is great for peppers. A quick Google search suggests soapy water or a handheld vacuum, if you don't want to use insecticide.

"According to the National Gardening Association, the following simple homemade mixture should be helpful to control and deter whiteflies: Use a mix of dish soap and water. A good squirt of soap to a gallon of water should work. As mentioned above, only spray in cooler temperatures; late in the day is best."
"If all else fails and your whitefly population is persistent, you can (carefully) use a handheld vacuum every few days to remove them from your plants. This gets rid of both nymphs and adults. Just be sure NOT to empty your vacuum into a trash can inside your home afterward!"

https://www.almanac.com/pest/whiteflies

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You need to make a spray of hot pepper liquid and few drops of dawn and make sure to get the underside of leaves. After a rain you may have to redo. They should move to cooler climes away from your plants. Works for mites too. Oh, and spray the soil in the area as well.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
I like neem oil. It's a natural product that comes from the neem tree.

I spray down any plants with it that have pest issues and they go away for a while.

Dish soap and water works too though.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

I have been told to spray with plain water, soapy water, various insecticides, neem oil, and even use live lady bugs. So what does the GT braintrust say?
I had a similar problem with spider mites too. I made the mistake of buying a plant from a hole in the wall place next to a permanent flea market. I tried pesticides from Lowe's, soap and water....I might not have tried the neem oil though. It helped for a short time, but then I started to see them again. That time it didn't take long before all of the plants on my patio were dying or dead.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Whiteflies are attracted to the color yellow - deathly attracted.
There are yellow 'sticky strips' made, much like the sticky strips that one uncoils and hangs for regular flies. Can also make at home with yellow paper, coated with Vaseline, or Napalm, and hang close enough to the infected plants to attract the little bastiges' attention but just far enough off that one swoop and they're stuck.

Hot sauce combined with the soapy water spray supposedly improves the kill rate.

Reactions: jp3975
21 - 40 of 43 Posts