close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

White kid won college scolarship meant for black...wasn't there a movie...?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fnfalman, Jun 12, 2012.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

2. VELO

VELO

The scholarship was sponsored by Riverside's Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club.

Wasn't it MLK who said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."?

Ironic, no?

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

Hmmmm How could they possibly fix the wording...

Is it that hard or do they want to have a scholarship that does not officially discriminate based on race but just does.

For the record I support them awarding their scholarship however they want to include racially biased. It is their money do what you want with it but it is not that hard to be clear on what you want. As long as it is funded with private money does not matter to me give your money to whoever you want however you want same for any group.

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Ironic, yes.

All {insert word for judging someone for being different, since I can't say "racism"} is wrong.

Regardless of the judger. Or the judged.

5. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

7. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

"All applications for this scholarship must be submitted in person, by the applicant at the Scholarship Headquarters. Scholarship Headquarters is located on MLK Drive in East Riverside situated between "Rollo's 24 Hour Market, Soul Food and Liquor Store", and the "Bump Dat Bootie" social club. Hours of operation are 10:00pm to 3:00am each Friday and Saturday night. Parking is available 3 blocks away adjacent to the East Riverside Bloods Clubhouse. All races are encouraged to apply.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  8. Jon_R

Jon_R

I was wondering who was going to smack that softball I tossed up there. :tongueout:

9. Random

Random AtticRat

Man, that sucks.

10. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

they would have had to cancel the check if I won it. I wouldnt give it back.

11. Dexters

Dexters

I've always wondered if Joe Whitemale applied for "Minority Scholarship" and he got it. Then the administrators see Joe Whitemale and say you can't have it because you are white. Joe Whitemale says he is a minority. Who decides and how do they decide without genetic testing? If they use genetic testing they would need to establish a standard and do it for all their applicants.

I'm sure I have some African genes in me - my family came from southern Italy - a lot of mixing there.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I wnat Washington on my team!!!
    No!!! I want Washington on my team!!!
    Guys, my name is Watson

13. Haasemd

Haasemd

As a college kid, it is kind of depressing when I go looking for scholarships. I see hundreds of scholarships but none of them apply to me because I am a white male. How about someone make a scholarship for only white males? That would probably be considered racist but I mean come on. I am 60k+ in debt with student loans but I supposedly do not need financial help. I am not saying racism is a good thing or anything but I just wish there would be a little more help for white kids who are paying for their own schooling.

Take my comments how you wish, I am sure there are several who will disagree with them.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Cry me a river.

I'm Asian and I got turned down on grants and work-study programs because I wasn't Native American, Black, Hispanic OR Pacific Islander.

I paid my loans off and have had a damn successful career.

Big whoopdedoo.

15. Dexters

Dexters

You couldn't do it if you said 'white' but if you set up a scholarship by:
    Scottish
    Welsh
    Irish
    etc.
    I think it would work.

16. Haasemd

Haasemd

hahaha like I said take it how you like. I will be fine and have them paid off but it would be nice if there was help when I was a freshman :rock:

17. Jon_R

Jon_R

I don't support public money being used for scholarships that are either need based or discriminatory in any way on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, etc... I am okay with discriminating based on intelligence. Sports scholarships don't care one way or another but the sport should fund it from its income almost making it "private" money.

I support private money being used for scholarships and in any way the group putting up the money wants. If no group has the guts to create a white male only scholarship then so be it but I support the right to do so.

18. Jon_R

Jon_R

Are you saying there is a law I could not create a Jon_R white male scholarship I pay for out of my pocket to a student I pick? I would like to see such a law.

19. Jon_R

Jon_R

How about third generation South African.... :whistling: Are they not African American?

In this case it is private money they can give it to anyone they want and require any proof they want. You have the option to decline. IMO they would not have to do it for all applicants. It is not subject to any protections like EEO, Hiring Standards Laws, Fair Employment Act, etc. A group of people have 1K they want to give to someone that they want to. Strange they didn't care enough though to actually meet the person vs. a telcon. They got lazy and then embarrassed but at least they are helping someone. On their terms sure it is their money.

20. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I was in the warm up box as soon as I opened the thread.:supergrin: