White House Lawyers Actively Reviewing Docs For Declassification

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Sep 12, 2018.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

"White House Lawyers Actively Reviewing Docs For Declassification

September 11th, 2018

• President Donald Trump is insistent on releasing FBI and DOJ documents related to surveillance of campaign advisers, but he has received pushback from White House lawyers, according to multiple sources.
    • House Republicans have pressed Trump to release the documents.
    • Congressional sources say they expect Trump to release the records, but they have tempered their expectations on when they will be made public.
    White House lawyers are actively reviewing controversial FBI and Department of Justice documents relating to the 2016 presidential campaign for possible declassification, multiple sources with knowledge tell The Daily Caller News Foundation.

The review process is being led by Emmet Flood of the White House Counsel’s office at the urging of an insistent president, two sources with knowledge of the process told TheDCNF. A source close to the president noted that Flood and his colleagues within the counsel’s office are generally opposed to declassification, out of the concern for the precedent it would set as well as any unintended consequences of making the information public.

Sources cautioned that declassification could occur as soon as this week, though the uncertainty reflects the nature of the review process itself.

http://amp.dailycaller.com/2018/09/11/white-house-lawyers-declassification?__twitter_impression=true "

Hartford, Ramjet38 and kiser64 like this.
  2. kiser64

kiser64

Turn-about is fair play! I hope they get some good ones out before November. Of course, then the Dems will be b******g about documents released, as oppose to those not released...It's always a no win for POTUS, but I dig the gamesmanship! (At times)...

Atomic Punk and DonGlock26 like this.

3. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

2A9D1104-9823-48A7-A644-3D92DA236DFA.png

If it shows what we anticipate and have been told it shows, heads would roll. If it’s going to fizzle, it would be a bad idea. Until there is proof, there is only speculation.

4. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Some of the info redacted is beyond ridiculous. There is much that can and should be released.

cbetts1, DonGlock26 and Ramjet38 like this.
  5. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

Sooner the better.
    Poop or get off the pot already!

refugeepj and Ramjet38 like this.
  6. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Not necessarily - timing is everything. Hint - November. I'll bet President Trump has an excellent strategy.

7. JFrame

JFrame

I'm beginning to suspect that the general opposition to declassification has nothing to do with national security, and everything to do with preserving the sanctity of the Swamp.

Jump, refugeepj, Doc McGlock and 13 others like this.
  8. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

As I've said before, if we eradicate all the corruption cancer, the body politic would succumb.

DonGlock26, Ramjet38 and JFrame like this.
  9. thewitt

thewitt

Release it all. There cannot be much that needs to be redacted. Certainly no dates are important to national security - though they will point out timelines and perjured testimony.

10. p.d.

p.d.

Sources and methods......sources and methods....... Yeah, none of us dummies in the peanut gallery are smart enough to have a clue about how their super secret squirrel methods play out. (Cause we slept through junior high where the same type of games were played):crazy: And sources........top echelon of the Bureau and editorial boards throughout N.Y. And D.C.

Ramjet38, bdcochran and JFrame like this.
  11. Duramaxsky

Duramaxsky

Let's get the swamp drained already. Then prison for the guilty. If not why should the rest of us follow any laws?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

12. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

"A source close to the president noted that Flood and his colleagues within the counsel’s office are generally opposed to declassification, out of the concern for the precedent it would set as well as any unintended consequences of making the information public."

Huh? What are the "unintended consequences" of keeping this secret? The leftist media are being fed leaks from unnamed sources and these guys are worried about what, the truth getting out? Give me a f***ing break already!

13. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Unintended consequences can be the outing of CIA/ NATO intel agents in the field who had no knowledge of this plot. It can also tell our enemies how we tap their communications and which ones we are currently listening to.

And if trump releases this classified info then the left can sue for the release of classified material and use this as precedent if not handled correctly

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  14. thewitt

thewitt

"A source close to the president" is the same nonsense that wrote the so-called op-ed.

Fake News!

15. janice6

janice6

Which is more important. The citizen's faith that the government will guarantee real justice will prevail, or the politicians in government, that give justice the finger in lieu of political power and money.

Sometimes you have to spill a little milk to clean up the house. It's easier to clean up a little spill, than the burn down the house and have to rebuild it, or lose it entirely.

16. bdcochran

bdcochran

No. There is a procedure for review and declassification. Please provide a citation to any lawsuit that was ever successful in having classified material declassified.

You have a 35 page dossier that is on line. There weren't any secret sources disclosed.

You are assuming that Bruce Ohr (who was not counterintelligence, but was organized crime) had secret sources of information. You have had an opportunity to see portions of the special court applications as well.

I have dealt with declassified information in the past. There is a lot of junk simply labeled classified and the time and money is simply not spent declassifying. The review for declassification is not done routinely by lawyers in the White House either.

17. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

There is a SCOTUS case pending.

And no case has been successful yet. That’s one reason among many reasons for the review by lawyers. “White House lawyers “is the quote. I know there is a procedure to declassify.

Go look at the FISA warrant applications and the redactions. It’s different than a dossier made by an “outside” group. Dossier that was already released . FISA can contain “ sources and methods” and/or embarrassing information to a foreign power that might effect our relationship with them.

And the big one we are waiting for is the last application which has not been declassified. The one Rosenstein signed. It is after most of the info was proven false about Steele being a credible source. How did they describe him and his info?

18. bdcochran

bdcochran

I will speculate. Essentially, the last application was rubber stamped. Despite the checks and balances purportedly in place as directed by Congress in approving the secret court system, there would be no incentive to thoroughly review an application. If a mistake was made, no one would ever know because the application was secret. I doubt that Rosenstein sat down in a conference room and discussed Steele being a discarded source. I doubt that Rosenstein sat down and challenged his subordinates on the content of the application. It was the FBI investigation and he had faith that the FBI was following written procedures. Moreover, if someone lied to him, he had no way of checking.

Harry Truman had a sign on his desk: "The buck stops here." Carved by a prison inmate. Yes, the buck stops with management. You already have read reports that Bruce Ohr was demoted twice (whatever that means). You have read accounts that his wife worked for a source. You have read accounts that indicate that counter-intelligence was not in his line of responsibility. You may have also read that he was supposed to report on his wife's activities. If a subordinate does not follow written procedures, the buck still stops with the manager. If the guy isn't a direct subordinate, the buck still stops with the guy who puts his signature on the line.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  19. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

It seems to me the risk of losing midterm elections is greater than problems that might result from declassification of the documents.

Shining light on Democrat corruption to take Trump down (FBI, CIA, DOJ, Hillary campaign, Dem National Committee) could influence Independents, women and lazy Rs to vote for Republican candidates. Every vote will be needed.

Losing the midterms means losing the battle. Declassification is the last arrow in our quiver with only 53 days left until Election Day. Trump must declassify, and I believe he will.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  20. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I understand the rubber stamp part. I would have sign off on paperwork of others all the time. The person signing off on it is signing off on just the facts on the paperwork and that he knows himself. In other words, from a legal standpoint, not a managerial one, he is checking over the paperwork is done correctly unless he has knowledge that relavent omissions or falsehoods are in it.

That’s why the last request is perphaps the smoking gun because it was known Steele was unrealible and Ohr testimony says he said the info was unreliable to them.

Just the fact Rosenstein is a witness in this whole mess should have left him ineligible to be involved.

21. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

I don't subscribe to the 'rubber stamp' processing of a FISA warrant by anyone in the chain of approval. This is supposed to be one of the most serious surveillance activities in the book, so the warrant should be processed with due care by everyone involved.

Since 99% of FISA warrants are approved, the process may have become routine. I trust more diligence will be employed in the future.

Dave Brubaker likes this.
  22. bdcochran

bdcochran

I don't disagree. In retrospect, some day, we may be able to fill in the blanks and connect dots. The overreaching problem is knowing, factually, who knew what at given time. I would like the federal employees (particularly the FBI agents) to perform like Joe Friday. However, we now appear to know that no matter how rigorous the reviews internally, there have been some rotten apples.