close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

White Beans 'n Rice

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Tennessee Slim, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I didn’t put in a garden this year but I will nonetheless have a ‘canning weekend’. I always pick one cool autumn weekend to cook and put up 10 quarts or so each of chili, gumbo and white beans.

Most everyone who’s a fan of Cajun or Creole food has heard of (and probably eaten) red beans and rice, but wassup with the white beans? I know that was my reaction. Then I tried them. I think this recipe is vastly superior to any red beans and rice I’ve ever eaten (and I’ve taken many an expedition into the deepest, darkest Delta in search of their best). Serve with jalapeño hushpuppies (recipe to follow) and a cold beer. Moreso than anything else I cook, this dish screams out for a cold beer as an accompaniment.

This comes from the late, great Justin Wilson.

Title: White Beans with Rice and Andouille

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb. white beans
    2 large yellow onions
    2 cloves garlic
    1 green hot pepper (or 1/2 tsp hot sauce)
    white wine or unsalted sauterne wine
    1/2 C olive oil
    1/4 lb. country ham pieces**
    2 lbs andouille or polska kielbasa
    salt
    water

Wash beans, pick over and put them in a glass bowl, add onion, garlic and pepper. Cover with 50-50 mix of water and white wine. Let soak overnight. Check periodically and keep covered by 1 inch of liquid.

Put olive oil in bottom of large, heavy pot. Add sausage and ham; heat. Add bean/wine mixture and, if needed, water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to slow simmer. Cook several hours until beans are tender. Add salt 1 hour before serving. Serve over steamed rice with hush puppies.

I usually let the beans soak 12 hours, then begin cooking them the following morning. I normally cook double the recipe; with that sheer volume it might take the better part of an hour to begin boiling. Once boiling I cover the pot, reduce the heat, and go off to work. In 8-10 hours away I've never known this to burn or, more importantly, to overcook. The longer it cooks down, the more concentrated (and robust) the flavors in the soup become.

** Country ham, also sometimes referred to as Virginia ham, is a southern delicacy. It is salt-cured, then hickory smoked. Its flavor is very distinctive and crucial to the true character of this dish. Don't be fooled by any sugar-cured imitator that calls itself by either name; any similarity between them and true country ham ended when it ceased being pig and started being pork.

2. noway

noway

{Most everyone who’s a fan of Cajun or Creole food has heard of (and probably eaten) red beans and rice, but wassup with the white beans?}

the white beans are pretty much not common and unheard of in most parts of the US ( i.e Navy/Roamn/etc.... )

I bet alot of grocery store don't carry anything outside of pintos. Here where I'm at I have a big selection of red, black and white beans.

3. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I'd have to say, though, decent black beans are as good a bean dish as any, ¿Verdad?

4. noway

noway

I have to say red or pintos are my favorite any day of the week.