Glock Talk banner

Whiny Voice: "Cop hassled me over open carry..."

293 13
This has to be a classic. I had a much longer post composed, but I would have had to report myself for language, insults, rudness, etc.
gapfast;11762063 said:
It's a monday night around 10:00 pm in a small country town in TN.

I was at a friends house. A LEO called my friend and wanted to talk to him about something that happened over the weekend. (no big deal though)

Anyway as my friend was talking to the leo in the car i walked outside to get me a smoke. As i was walking back inside he yelled over the intercom "come here buddy" as i approached his car he asked if i had a carry permit for the weapon on my side?
-did he have a right to ask?
-i was on private property
So i said yes i do have a permit. He then asked to see it. Well my wallet was in my truck right next to me. I know i'm suppose to have it on my person but didn't think much about it since i was at a friends house.

He made a real big deal about it.
He also said my gun was suppose to be concealed. And that i couldn't open carry.
-i'm pretty sure i can open carry right?
-He also asked if the gun i was carrying was the gun i got my permit with.
-does that mean if i buy that .45 i been wanting i can't carry it?

I did everything he asked me too.

what would you have done and said?:dunno:
gapfast;11766074 said:
Thanks for the insight. And all the thoughts.

To paint a better picture of why the cop was there:

My buddy has made his girlfriends parents really mad i guess. He got her pregnant bla bla bla. The want something to be done since she is under age. (17) My buddy is 20. Thats why they were there. Just to talk to him and warn him. Not to serve anykind of papers or to snoop around.

I forgot to post the one thing that made me mad.:steamed:

When i handed him my permit he asked "Mr. *****, where do you work?"
I responded and told him that i worked at a boat plant.
He responded "Then why do you carry?"
maybe i read into it a little much and he didn't mean anything by it. But to be honest it really offended me. Like he was calling me a coward or punk. i dunno though. maybe i just took it wrong way.
gapfast;11767856 said:
I done a little research. I can't find one thing saying it is illegal. so i'm thinking i can OC. I would hate to file a complaint. Just because it's a small town. I would hate for him to be mad at me.
Yes, with your HCP you can open carry.

You're new around here. Welcome to GT and Carry Issues.

Enough of the niceties...

I had a longer post planned, but let me give you the short version.

Your friend is a year shy of statutory rape, a Class E Felony - up to 7-years in jail. The officer was there at 10:00 PM to give your friend a warning. You don't mention how the exchange went between him and your friend. No matter...

You amble out to have a smoke(?). You are open carrying. My personal opinion is that is definitely neither the appropriate time nor place for open carry. You are interjecting a firearm into a situation you are not a party to. As far as the officer is concerned, you just increased his pucker factor considerably.

Can he ask you questions? Of course he can. And, like someone else said, you don't have to answer them. My guess is he was just getting you to talk to see if you were nervous, angry, calm, antagonistic, friendly. Had you or your friend been drinking?

Look, I am an advocate for open carry, but not when a cop comes callin' on official business at 10:00 PM. I wouldn't even consider it, too much room for a misunderstanding.

:cool:
I think what really frosted my ass was this, "My buddy has made his girlfriends parents really mad i guess. He got her pregnant bla bla bla."

"bla, bla, bla"? No big deal knocking up the girl? If I had a *****-slap key on my keyboard, his sorry ass would be on the ground. :impatient:

Okay, it is the Christmas season...I need to get into the mood. [NOTE TO SELF: Buy eggnog mix. Go to ABC store - buy bourbon. 1 quart eggnog & 2 quarts bourbon. That's the ratio, right?]
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Unfair Facist
30,612 Posts
Sounds like a Dumbass that hangs out with dumbasses.

I am willing to be that Tenn law requires he has his permit on him whenever he is carrying and by his own admission he did not.

Some people better learn that once they obtain a permit the rules for them are different from that point on.

· Registered
583 Posts
:steamed:And they wonder why we turn into JBTs. It can't be their fault or their stupidity that they walk into a situation ARMED and we don't know who they are or what their intent is. Could they think about what they are about to do? NOPE, not when their IQ is the same as their show size.

As for their lax behavior in life, i.e. knocking up the GF is no big deal. Darwin would be proud. Reverse evolution at work.

· Super Moderator
62,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thread is turning into another cops can't do nothin' right...don't pick on the poor boy...it ain't that way in my state........

Comprehenson is not flourishing over there.

· Unfair Facist
30,612 Posts
Ya gotta fight fer your 2A rights by gawd.

:rofl::rofl:

· Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
69,083 Posts
Russ,

I've said it before, you're a saint.

TBO

· Super Moderator
62,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dragoon44;11775836 said:
Ya gotta fight fer your 2A rights by gawd.

:rofl::rofl:
Some of these guys remind me of the question, "Now, why is that dog chasing that car? What the hell is he gonna do with it when he catches it?"

They keep chasing the concept of a pure 2nd Amendment without "reasonable restrictions". What the hell would they do if they had unrestricted carry? What if no one challenged them when they carried? It would be very boring. They would carry concealed because at that point they'd realize the only people paying attention to them are the bad guys...oops, sorry, I know that never happens:upeyes:...and to gain an advantage over bad guys, you would conceal.

Damn, for not qualifying as an expert by my own definition, I think I'm pretty friggin' smart.

I know, it's in the eye of the beholder, but I must be commended for trying to undumb someone who hangs with a stupid almost-statutory-rapist and who walks out to a cop an hour before shift end with a pistol on his hip to get a smoke that he could of had going out the back door...At least I try...

I would hate to be on a ride-along and have some ignorant CHP carrying a-hole approach the car open carrying. I know the rules say I am not to become involved in anything, but forgive me now, because I would explain in no uncertain terms that if the officer doesn't arrest them, I'll make a citizens arrest for gross felony stupid.

I'll leave out the story about the time I cold-cocked a guy with my Model 15 up side his head while in the Air Force for being very, very stupid and flapping his lips inappropriately. :cool:

· Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Duty Calls.

· Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
69,083 Posts
RussP;11779289 said:
I'll leave out the story about the time I cold-cocked a guy with my Model 15 up side his head while in the Air Force for being very, very stupid and flapping his lips inappropriately. :cool:
Which GNG poster is this? :headscratch:

:tbo:

· VIVA MEXICO !!!
3,684 Posts

· Premium Member
4,307 Posts
RussP;11786149 said:
NOW THAT is an avatar waiting to happen...!!!
You are welcome to it. I am sticking with Lenny for now.

· Zippy's Friend.
6,662 Posts
Lenny was my nickname for awhile. It had more to do with "Of Mice and Men" and something called "Retard Strength" than a TV show.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts