close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which waders for recreational kayaking?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by sjfrellc, Jan 29, 2006.

1. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

I've never used waders before, but I want to go kayaking in a 9 1/2 foot general use kayak. I'll be on Kent Lake in Michigan and the Huron river in cold winter weather or cold spring water.

Chest high waders might be tough to use with Personal Flotation Device (life vest). I'm not sure whether to get the waders with the boots or slippers. Would Cabela's dry-plus waders work? for cold weather do I need a larger size to wear warm socks underneath or long underwear?

2. noway

noway

How cold is it ? The reason why I ask, you don't want a heavy thick wader on since you will be generating heat from the paddling thus you could lead to sweating and then when you stop to rest you will be cold. If your kayak has a skirting, I would get the thin pair of hip waders and draw the skirt in and wear clothes in layer with a poncho. Chest waders might lead to impairment and read the next sentence below;

(important )

"Remember with waders and boating if you should ditch you will be taking on water and weighing a ton or more"

I struggle to get into my sml boat after ditching in waters 70degs and wearing nothing but the thinnest chest waders and yes I struggle. The lake was only 10ft deep and I had to paddle and push myself to an area that was 4-5ft just to push up in the boat. I would bet in a colder enviroment like Lake Mi or so I would have never made it.

Just something to think about and make sure you wear your PFD ;)

3. cdarney

cdarney

No Waders!!!

You will die if you dump. If the water is very cold use a dry suit. If the water is moderately cold use a wet suit. If the water is 75F or better and it's nice out, go naked.

Don't use cotton either.

4. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Well I probably am going to wait until spring in Southeast Michigan an start in warm weather, and maybe gear up for winter kayaking next winter.

I agree with the you dump you die scenario, but the kayak is a relatively stable all purpose kayak and unlikely to tip over in calm conditions on small inland lake or river kayaking. I'm mainly concerned about getting in and out near shoreline.

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

MAJOR exactly....Period!!!

Do not wear waders in a kayak or any real small craft. It is a death looking to happen. The wet, or dry suit, is the way to go... i agree with cdarney here....!

(yes, we do do have some water here in W. TX; like the Brazos!) ;f

Have fun, but stay safe man!

CanyonMan

6. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

Thread

Go see the links in this thread. They have a lot of information regarding proper outfitting.

Do not use waders...see the dry/wet suits available..

Be safe..use PFD's and carry a marine radio or cell in a WP enclosure.

Good luck.

7. KB4IFS

KB4IFS MOLON LABE

I'd go farther and recommend a course on kayaking. As an experianced open water sea kayaker and surf kayaker, I can tell you you'll dump sometime. Usually at the time least expected. All your preparation, or lack of it, can put you in danger. As far as temperature of the water, your still at risk for exposure even in the 70's. Chances are you'll lose gear also. BTW dry suits made for kayakers are extremly expensive. Maybe you can try something else from another sport but it may limit you. At the least I'd go with a wetsuit or a suit for surfers with taped seams and neoprene cuffs. Add boots, hoodie and gloves. BTW, gloves will limit your dexterity. I'm not trying to put you off, but more than one person has learned the hard way. AS far as the craft being stable with calm weather. Weather chages rapidly and doing a self rescue with a wetsuit, trying to save gear not tied down, trying to get in a kayak with gear in the way is something you need to practice BEFORE it happens. It's not as easy or simple as it looks. Take the course.

8. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

All good advice, instruction will be forthcoming. Some of the Universities have winter classes in indoor pools.

I am very patient and won't be kayaking foolishly.

Of course, When I picked up a Kayak magazine, one of the first things are notes of three separate expert kayakers dieing at different places.

9. KB4IFS

KB4IFS MOLON LABE

I'm happy your open minded to suggestions. It sounds like Sea Kayaker Magazine. It's excellent and informative. The opportunity for a course sounds good. Who knows, you may meet others like yourself to go out with. Good Paddeling.

10. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

OK,
    I'm gathering information on hitting the water on my local state and metroparks. I covered 200 miles on my mountain bike in the local parks last October. Can't wait to hit the water. Will be safe. Check out these pictures of Kent Lake and Huron River.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So maybe freezing cold air and water temperatures won't be so pretty and a storm wouldn't help the cause, but kayaking could be worth the paddling, Right?

11. KB4IFS

KB4IFS MOLON LABE

A great paddeling spot. Go for it!