1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my inflatable boat Excursion 4?

Minn Kota Endura C2 30

Newport Vessels NV Series 36lb thrust

Any experienced users comments will be appreciated.

·
Spewer of TROOF
9,706 Posts
I like a minn Kota with autopilot

mines a few years old and still works good.

the autopilot has a compass and self corrects when your boat drifts

·
Registered
27,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like a minn Kota with autopilot

mines a few years old and still works good.

the autopilot has a compass and self corrects when your boat drifts
That's an incredibly sophisticated motor.

Reactions: catman71

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have an Minn Kota Endura C2 55 lb thrust and love it. Most sporting goods shops will have Minn Kota parts and accessories if you need something.

Dont see too many Newport Vessels motors.

·
2,386 Posts
Minn Kota is everywhere and so are accessories if you need a new prop or wire harness or whatever. I have a 40 on my inflatable Excursion 5, been using it for about 9 years.

I made my own mount from electrical conduit and wood. I wired it up with quick connects and put a 12V marine battery up front out of the way.

That combo works fantastic for fishing on a small bass lake that prohibits combustion engines. I try to conserve the battery, but it lasts all day easily. The 40 amp motor top speed is about as fast as briskly walking, I mostly use it to access the far side of the lake and manouver along the shoreline. I don't use it for actual trolling.

·
Back to work...
2,898 Posts
That's an incredibly sophisticated motor.
It's a GPS feature on nicer trolling motors dubbed "spot lock". Fairly common nowadays.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Minn Kota is everywhere and so are accessories if you need a new prop or wire harness or whatever. I have a 40 on my inflatable Excursion 5, been using it for about 9 years.

I made my own mount from electrical conduit and wood. I wired it up with quick connects and put a 12V marine battery up front out of the way.

That combo works fantastic for fishing on a small bass lake that prohibits combustion engines. I try to conserve the battery, but it lasts all day easily. The 40 amp motor top speed is about as fast as briskly walking, I mostly use it to access the far side of the lake and manouver along the shoreline. I don't use it for actual trolling.
Makes sense. I purchased a C2 30 a few days ago after surprisingly finding it in my local WalMart. I tried to cancel my Amazon order for the Newport but I couldn't and they suggested I refuse delivery. I just did that before the driver could unload it.

Availability of parts is important. Thanks all.

·
2,386 Posts
Here's my Excursion 5 and Minn Kota 40 lb with the family.

We've had a handfull of small holes in the bottom from kids standing up in the boat while the bow is beached. Usually tiny pin holes from pine cones or something. That's expected with an inflatable. They patch right up with a piece of Gorilla duct tape on site, and I patch them correctly when we get home. Other than that the boat had been fantastic.

·
Registered
27,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yea, I won't use it for trolling, either. Did you build a wood floor for your Excursion 5?

·
2,386 Posts
Do some math, higher lb thrust motors use more battery power. And make sure you wire it up with heavy wire for efficiency. Quick disconnects or wing nuts etc make for eady setup and take down.

·
2,386 Posts
No wood floor. Thought about it... But the lake we frequent is walk in only, no road or boat ramp. We have to carry everything 1/4 mile from the car to the lake. We use a big wheeled hand truck to strap stuff down and wheel to the lake. The battery and electric inflater etc go in a rubbermaid container, folded boat on top, then oars etc on top of that. Fishing gear in a backpack. I can do it in one trip. Adding wood floors would just make transportation that much harder... The floor is fine with a few kids in it, but when I'm alone with just me plus the battery the floor is definately uneven because of the weight unevenly distributed on the large floor. Not that big of deal. I'm sure the boat would move more efficiently with a flat bottom but oh well.

·
Native Mainiac
23,857 Posts
It's a GPS feature on nicer trolling motors dubbed "spot lock". Fairly common nowadays.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Been toying with the idea of getting a new trolling motor that I can link up with my Hummingbird sonar and have it also follow a predetermined depth around the lakes, Not like I need it, but pretty cool toy.

·
2,386 Posts
I use marine batteries from Costco for around $90. They last me 2 summers of light use. I try to never drain them below 30-40% and I keep them on a good trickle charger periodically in the off season but they still seem to loose power after the second season. I have 2 batteries and I swap them out if necessary. We often go camping at our spot for 3-4 days and 2 batteries last just fine for light use on the lake. Not all day use. Dragging kids behind on tubes or in the water really drains the batteries quick because of the additional drag.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
After I had nothing but problems with my Minnkota I fixed it for the final time and sold it. Bought a Motorguide. My dads Minnkotas have not been without problems either. For a transom mount trolling motor there is no way I would buy a Minnkota. The upper end Minnkota bow mounts have a feature or two some of the competition do not but the competition is catching up on features and exceeding Minnkota in durability, which is not that hard. For an inflatable a 40lb will be fine so would a 55lb. Just because you have the extra thrust does not mean you have to use it. If you are on a budget the Motorguide r3 freshwater 30" 30lb is only around $130.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
I’m a Motor Guide guy.

Have used them my entire life. My current one is a 12v 46lbs thrust foot control model.

She is 13 years old now and still going strong. Not as quiet as she was when new, but running well enough I’m not willing to replace her yet.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I just got a Minnkota 50lb thrust. Any battery recommendations? Looking to stay under $100.00.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts