close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which to carry? G19 (3.5) or G26 (5.5)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by brianr34, Jan 24, 2010.

1. brianr34

brianr34

I am new to Glocks within the last 3 months. My first purchase was a G19 with night sights and it came with a Glock 3.5 connnector. I purchased the G19 to be a multi purpose handgun (home defense, IDPA, range and potential CCW)

I am considering CCW so I recently picked up a G26 with a stock 5.5 connector. I figured the G26 would be easier to conceal and maybe it was best to CCW a stock connector.

At the range I shoot the G19 much better than the G26.

Here is my question.

Is it OK to CCW the G19 with the 3.5 connector? My thought is, it is important to be accurate with your CCW gun. I have read that there are some concerns using the 3.5 connector on a CCW from a legal viewpoint.

If anyone has experience with CCW the G19 with the 3.5 connector, I would appreciate it.

2. t-shooter

t-shooter

The Glock 19 in its original form is an outstanding personal defense firearm. The presence of a 3.5 lb disconnector will likely make the ordeal of a post shooting legal process even worse. Have a Glock armorer return the 19 to factory original condition and carry it until your skills with the 26 are equal to the 19. You have 2 excellent defensive firearms.

My two cents worth.

3. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Go with whatever you shoot better. In your case, the G19.

What state do you live in?

4. 9mmkungfu

9mmkungfu

Go with the 19. A shoot is either justifiable, or not. The connector won't make a difference in that respect.

5. brianr34

brianr34

6. brianr34

brianr34

I like to shoot IDPA, so I would prefer to leave the G19 with the 3.5 connector and CCW it also. Ideally, you should IDPA with the same gun that you CCW to become more familiar.

Just a little bit concerned about the 3.5 connector for CCW.

7. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I carry a G19 with an OEM Glock 3.5lb connector.
    I pick the G19....

8. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

+1 well stated.

G26/3.5 connector/Aro-Tek Night sights/Crimson Trace laser/Brommeland MaxCon V IWB leather

9. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

My I suggest a Glock 26 with 3.5 connector and NY-1 trigger?

This gives a very smooth 8 lb trigger pull. Excellent for CCW.

That setup is on all my carry Glocks.

Deaf

10. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

I think this is garbage.

I carry with a minus connector. I have no problems with it easier.
    It is a FACTORY part, and if it makes you better with your firearm, then it is a good thing.

11. Ron_Miami

Ron_Miami

True, but the factory says that it is not for self defense weapons.

12. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Heck either. Two excellent guns for self defense purposes, both of which will save your hide if you do your part.

13. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I go 3.5 in all my Glocks, but I've been shooting 1911's for years. Even with the 3.5, it's far from a light trigger with the long takeup and natural creep in a Glock.

14. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Dude, FWIW I carry a G23 with a Ghost 3.5# connector in it. If you have to use your weapon, the connector weight will be the last of your worries. This is the same argument as using super duper deadly anti-baby JHP rounds. If you are accurate with it, use it. If you are capable of deploying your weapon within the confines of the law, and are proficient in safe and proper weapon handling skills, use it. If you aren't competent in any of these areas, leave both guns at home. You get my point.
    Model 1911's have lighter triggers than Glocks, and guys always mess with the trigger to make it just right. You don't hear them *****ing about this issue.

Besides, crappy ammo, and long heavy, gritty trigger pulls are for the children....

15. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

There is your answer right there. Which gun do yo want to be carrying if your life is on the line? The one "easier" to carry, or the one you shoot the best with?

The 3.5 connector is a factory part therefore it does not take the pistol out of Glocks Specs for the pistol. Thus it is not a problem.

16. Torontogunguy

Torontogunguy

Now this really ticks me off. Too many expert opinions on here. First thing the DA is going to point out to the jury is that the gun was modified to have a hair trigger. ESPECIALLY A GLOCK which is just barely double action. I can promise you that you will have an issue with a modified gun to a 'hair trigger' without a minutia of doubt.

My Glocks have NY1 triggers. Even better and safer. And heaven forbid should it come to court, the impression of the jury will be that you took steps to ensure that your gun was the safest possible.

I use several Glocks but my carry's are a G26 and a G30 with NY1's. I don't find too much difference in accuracy between them and the full size Glocks with 5.5# triggers, even in competition. (IPSC/IDPA)

Do some reading, especially Ayoob, et. al. You will then have no doubt, having read into real court cases, that trigger jobs, etc., prejudice juries against justified shooters 99% of the time. It is psychological and it is fact.

Sorry, I get rattled by poor advice.

And for the record, I got some really good advice on here over the years and it has taken me a couple of years to have it sink in and to do outside research and that advice was ALWAYS carry with one in the chamber. I could not see myself doing that with Glocks out of the box and hence the NY1 triggers and if you read Ayoob you will begin to see the light in terms of safety and juries. Oh, and try having an attempted carjacking without one in the chamber and tell me what you are going to do when the driver of the car that just bumped you from behind starts walking up to your window? What happens if it turns out to be innocent bump... what happens if it turns out that your head is now being smashed into the steering wheel and you have no chance to chamber a round and can barely draw.

All is not as simple as it seems and the advice you get on forums like these is not always the best of advice. So. MY ADVICE? Research it for yourself and make your own decision because sure as heck the greatest volume of advice you are going to get is from those that have nothing better to do with their time than give terrible advice. You can bet on that.

17. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

I usually carry a G19 with a 3.5 connector because that is what I am comfortable with. I do not like shooting the Glock with a 5.5 connector and would carry something else instead if I was worried about it.

The 3.5 connector does not make for a light trigger by any means and I would never feel uncomfortable with it in any situation. I carry my guns in a quality holster where the trigger is covered and not in the waistband of a pair of fubu sweats.

Mind sharing some specific examples of a trigger job hurting someone in a justifiable shoot Torontogunguy?

18. Dragoon44

Installing the Glock factory made 3.5 trigger connector is not a "trigger job" or a "modification" of the gun.

The kind of "modifications that MIGHT cause a problem for you in court are the ones that take the gun out of factory spec for the gun.

All Trigger jobs are not a problem either. Ones that make the trigger pull lighter than factory spec are iffy. But ones that simply make the trigger pull smoother are fine.

"Factory spec" does not mean as is out of the box either. Many guns can come out of the box with a much heavier trigger pull than the factory spec calls for.

19. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

While technically not a modification/trigger job, the problem is that the factory specifically recommends against the 3.5 for anything other than target shooting. While probably not much of an issue with a criminal trial, the issue can and probably will be an issue in case of a civil trial. There was an outstanding thread here a while back on this topic titled "3.5 trigger on a carry gun", I believe in Carry Issues. Worth reading.

20. Dragoon44

I personally would not use a 3.5# connector on a glock. But the point remains it is not a modification that takes the gun out of factory spec for a glock.

As far as Glock holding the 3.5 connector is for target guns. The same thing could be said about a Colt Gold cup. It's unlikely a prosecutor or a plaintiffs attorney is going to get any mileage of of the person defending themselves with a "target gun".

Although the point does make a good case for using your carry gun in combat type competition.

" I carry the gun I train and shoot competition with" is going to stymie opposing counsels attempts make and issue of you having used a "target" gun for self defense.