close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

which to carry and why?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by AWMP, Mar 3, 2010.

1. AWMP

AWMP

I have two pistols I keep going back and fourth carrying.

Which would you carry and why?

UP - Enjoy the 1911, history, thin carry, great trigger, nice big round, CT

Dwn - Heavy (good holster and belt make it not too bad), limited magazine capacity, difficult shooting off hand (drills in case injured)(CT helps), expensive and hard to find ammo locally (45acp)

Smith and Wesson M&P

UP - magazine capacity, cheaper ammo, easy recoil (even off hand) (quick follow up shots), lighter for carry (by weight but good holsters make both easy to carry), CT

Dwn - a little thicker for CCW, smaller holes

Nighthawk Talon 1911
    45acp
    8+1 , spare 8 rd mag carried
    Commander size
    230 grain hollow point
    Crimson Trace

Smith and Wesson M&P
    9mm
    Thumb Safety (one side)
    Crimson Trace
    Full Size
    147 grain HST
    17+1, spare 17 rd mag carried

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. fastbolt

fastbolt

I can't pretend to give an answer that will work for you.

I've answered that sort of question for myself, but the reasoning behind the answer is a bit less than clear and distinct. ;)

Pick whichever you like. One, or the other, or both ... or still some other one yet to be chosen. Train and practice with whatever you choose to carry. As much as is feasible and affordable.

Yes, I own a number of 1911's. I like the 1911-style platform.

I also own and use a number of other alloy & plastic framed pistols ... as well as some revolvers.

I shoot a fair amount. (Back up to 500-1,000+ rounds/mo after a short hiatus following my retirement. ;) )

I carry what suits me when it comes to my manner of dress, my planned activities and where I plan to travel to engage in those activities.

It's just a handgun chambered in one of the more commonly used service calibers, you know.

I told you I wasn't going to be of any help, right? ;)

3. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I'm curious as to why you would switch carrying between two totally different platforms.

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Just what I thought. If it were me I would carry the 1911. You should just pick what gun your most comfortable with, and carry it. If the 1911 is too heavy get a better IWB holster.

5. tango44

tango44

6. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

Carry the one you are most comfortable with... if you are equally comfortable, then the .45 trumps the 9mm every day of the week in my book! :rofl:

7. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

[​IMG]

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Which can you get the first and best hit with under stress?

9. AWMP

AWMP

Both have same type thumb safety, makes switching between the two easy. Ammo cost of 9mm is a big reason for lots of range shooting.

10. AWMP

AWMP

Will find out over the next couple of weeks. Currently in tactical pistol course with 1500 rounds going down range during day and night fires. (28 hours range time over three separate days with two class days)

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

I had a fair number of years throughout my career to choose from among many of the best quality holsters available.

Even the 'best' holster can't consistently and effectively mitigate the addition of an extra 15 (or more) ounces of weight hanging on a gun belt over the course of 8-18 hours. After a while a 24oz (plus ammo) gun simply comes to wear better for some folks than a 39oz (plus ammo) gun.

When I carried a 39 oz (empty) handgun it didn't matter if it was an all-steel 4566TSW or a 686 when the weight was virtually the same. Once I decided to carry a compact, alloy-framed belt gun it made quite a bit of difference over the course of a day & evening's normal work activities, though. Less discomfort on my hip and lower back over time.

I'd suspect the OP has carefully considered the inherent advantages and disadvantages of each of the listed platforms, but has yet to decide how to prioritize them when using them to reach a decision.

Personally, if I could shoot one of them (9mm) significantly better than the other one (.45) when having to shoot 1-handed (especially when using the non-dominant hand), and the controllability was inherently better with the same one (9mm) even when shooting 2-handed, I'd consider those to be relevant priorities over the relative 'size' of the (caliber) or the 'history' of the (.45).

Now, if the cost of the .45 was significantly more than that of the 9mm (especially if I was footing the bill), which could translate into less frequent or extensive training & practice? The decision would seem even easier from my perspective ... but that's me.

FWIW, although I finished my career carrying an issued .45 ACP, I only did so because I wasn't allowed the choice of continuing to carry a lightweight 9mm I'd previously carried for many years. Yes, I do like the .45 ACP cartridge. Just like I have an appreciation for the 1911-style platform.

I gave up being a 'caliber snob' some years ago, though.

I can shoot .45's rather well. (I demonstrated being able to shoot a full magazine load from a plastic framed .45 pistol the other day and making all good hits on the head of a typical silhouette target at 35 yards.) I can shoot the lesser recoiling 9mm's well, too, and usually even a bit from the perspective of the reduced felt recoil & faster recoil recovery times and the other factors involved in recoil management and overall controllability.

I don't lose any sleep carrying a 9mm.

Even though I'm probably going to get a M&P 45 compact ... so I might be more inclined to carry it over my full-size M&P 45 ... I'll likely still continue to carry one or another of my smaller 9mm's more often than the M&P 45c (when I'm not carrying one of my J-frames).

I just don't get too wrapped up around the axle when it comes to comparing the various low-powered service pistol defensive calibers and loadings when the more modern ammunition and bullet designs are being used.

It's still just a relatively low-powered handgun when it's all said and done at the end of the day.

12. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I'd pick the M&P.

My reasoning.....more shots, simpler action.

hog

13. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Carry both.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

14. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

I'd carry the 1911 between those 2 choices.

Slimmer carry matters most to me.
    I really don't have a preference between 9mm or 45.

15. bambikilr

bambikilr

very tough call, but, i think by your post, in an away from home situation, the 9 would be my choice, just cause you mentioned more up's & less dwn's with it

16. mesteve2

mesteve2

1911 pistol been working since 1898.

45 been putting bg in the dirt longer.

.45 beats the 9 mini meter.

17. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

Id pick the M&P over the 1911. If you want to meet in the middle, id get an M&P45C.

18. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

I carry and switch between both, now. The MP is a recent acquisition and is just into the rotation after two weeks of practice and range time. 75% is the 1911, a DW CCO so it's not as heavy. The other 25% is now the MP 9mm compact. I use that one for capacity when I go into "gangland" for work.

I like both and use it. If I could have only one and had to sell the other, I would keep the Dan Wesson CCO.

19. Billet

Billet

I'd carry the M&P because I don't like carrying extra mags and I've never fired a 1911 that was reliable enough to...well...rely on.

20. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Now thats an idea. :cool: