Which thread lock for night sights

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Rusty Gun, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

okay guys I have done three searches and read a bunch of posts and still don't have an answer to the burning question..."what thread lock should be used on the front sight on a glock".

I just acquired a set of front and rear meprolight tru dot night sights for my glock 19 gen 4. I have a sight pusher and the fancy little front sight socket and anticipate no problems with the change. However I have heard many variations on what kind (color) of locktite to use. I have red, blue, and I think some purple locktite from other projects but will add to my inventory if you have a better suggestion.

So here are my questions...Can you recommend a product (locktite or others) that provides secure mounting but If you elect to remove/change sights in the future can be removed without a blow torch and cuss words? Second question ... Is there any merit in adding a dot of locktite to the rear sight dovetail?

Thanks in advance for constructive comments.

2. callelk

callelk

Blue Loctite, never the red or any of the bearing mount stuff.

Most rear sites have a set screw and I have not ever seen the need for anything else.

3. mtstream

mtstream

You're always going to find a disagreement on this issue. I switched from blue to red after a long continuous firing training session (gun got very hot). The blue couldn't hold up to the heat and the front sight came loose.

I only use red and the smiths I respect like Dawson's Precision only use red.

FYI - Glock's manual says "medium strength" but if you ever get the privilege of removing factory installed night sights, you'll figure out real fast that they're not using medium.

SJ 40 likes this.
  4. Dave.1

Dave.1

As mtstream said, plenty of opinions to go around.

I've read posts where people use the 262 Loctite with good results and also a member posted about assembling the front sight on the pistol and then using a tiny drop of Green penetrating Loctite. Those or Blue, all of them seem to work for someone.

Two things I always remember. Check the sight screw (and any others like grip screws on other pistols)every time you clean and do a function test. And, if you're removing the sight screw, touch the head briefly with a hot soldering iron to soften any thread locker that you or someone else may have used.

Dave

5. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

The last Dawson sights I installed (it has been a while) specified green (290) in the instructions. According to the manufacturer, it is a medium-high strength "wicking" thread locker, "ideal for small screws".

Rusty Gun likes this.
  6. mtstream

mtstream

Dawson's recommends 262 (red) for front sight screws. XS Sights ship with "red thread locker."

7. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

In the Glock Amorers Course they recommend Loctite 242 (Blue) for the front sight.

If you ever want to think about changing it don't use the 262 (Red).

8. bobonit

bobonit McCroskey

You can use red, but be warned. You will need to hit it with a heat gun for a bit to loosen it up. The person that installed the rear site on my Gen2 19 used Red. I was able to heat it up and get the screws out in a few minutes.

9. mtstream

mtstream

I just recommended using 262 along with two sight manufacturers who also recommend 262 Glocks - if you're going to then said "don't" you should at least back that up with something.

I've also never had to use heat to remove front sights installed with 262 - the threads are so small that it easily breaks loose. The only exception was the factory installed night sights but even heat didn't loosen whatever was used to secure them.

I personally don't apply loctite to the dove tail for rear sights on Glocks but I have removed some that had it and they did require heat to get off.

10. njl

njl Crusty Member

Red / 271 is what is generally recommended. I've put on more sets of night sights than the average non-gunsmith, and I originally used blue, and thought WalterGA was funny for continually saying "those who use blue will be happy to find that Brownells sells replacement front night sights." until one day I was cleaning my G17, and noticed the front sight was loose. Since then, I've been using 271 and have never had one come loose unless I wanted it to. I have successfully removed/reused sights done with 271.

11. tango44

tango44

I have installed and used several Meprolight set on Glocks and never used loctite.
    My oldest G26 has a set that I installed on 2005 and after 11rounds never had a problem with it!

12. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

No need to take it personally, lol, you can say what you want, I am just relaying what they told us in the armorers class, take it for what you like, use gorilla glue for all I care.

13. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Thread lock? We just got back online! :2gun:

14. VN350X10

VN350X10

I've suggested it several times before, the GREEN, self-wicking has given me the best results on Glocks.
    I've installed well over 200 sets of sights, a LOT for LEO's, who tend to be less than careful with their firearms !
    The drill goes like this :
    1) Clean the area with acetone, it leaves no residue.
    2) Install the front sight, making sure that it's a good fit in the hole, sometimes the sight tennon is a bit big for the hole in the slide; File & fit (the sight!) as necessary.
    3) Tighten the sight screw, making sure the sight is SQUARE with the slide
    4) 1 small drop of green at the edge of the hex head of the screw. If all is correct, you should see a small bead of "wet" at both sides of the sight blade. What this has done, is filled the area around the sight tennon, acting as "grout" and holding the sight in place. I suggest giving it 24 hrs. to completely set up before shooting.
    Done in this manner, I've never had a front sight loosen on any of my installs even with a cop on the other end of the pistol's grip !

Part of the success is the clean factor, as ANY OIL will cause the Loctite to fail, as it won't cure properly.

uncle albert

Aggiesam1983, MSW and Rusty Gun like this.
  15. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

Very complete response thanks for your insight.

16. birddog1

birddog1

I use blue on my Trijicon HD front sights.

17. MJT

MJT

I had the front sight on my G43 come loose twice on me during training sessions and that was with blue loctite on it. I am going to try the red and deal with having to use heat if I need to change it out again.

18. VN350X10

VN350X10

Again, I strongly suggest my method for installing with green, self wicking Loctite.
    In 19+ years of gunsmithing on a semi-regular basis, I've had no failures, even with LEO's.

One sight did come loose, after a dept. armorer put the slide in a heated solvent ultrasonic tank.
    I might not of had that one clean enough,(??) as after re-installing for the officer, it's now gone thru the same ultrasonic bath 4 additional times & is still tight.

uncle albert

19. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Red

It is not as hard as you think, especialy on the tiny fastener that secures the sights....the larger the fastener, the harder the Red will work. Blue will work loose.

20. Dave.1

Dave.1

Don't have any sights to install at this point but I have a Comp-Tac IWB holster that I just got. Always a pain to adjust, back the screws out then re-tighten so I thought I'd give VN350X10's method with the Green a try.

Cleaned and dried everything, adjusted the screws for retention and applied the Green. It wicked in just as VN350X10 said. Going to let it sit overnight and start carrying tomorrow. I'll see how it works. If everything holds I'll try it on the new sights when they get here.

Dave