close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which SUV?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by method, Oct 21, 2012.

1. method

method

Of these two... '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited or 2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG.

I've always loved the 1 year only 5.9 Grand Cherokee. Handsome, ballsy, and typically very well cared for. There's one local with 68k miles for $7500.

A couple weeks ago I remembered the Benz. 100 hp and 30 ft/lbs of torque ballsier than the Jeep. I know the first ML's weren't well regarded when they debuted in '98, but most of the ills had been addressed by the time the Alabama Hammer (ML55) came about in 2000. There's one of these local as well, 125k miles, asking $9000, but currently being auctioned at no reserve, starting at $5000. I took a cursory look at it this week, looks good on the outside, wheels could use a refinish, will need tires and rotors halfway soon. I might go drive it tomorrow.

Which would you choose?

2. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

Preferably, neither. If those are the only two options, I'd choose the Jeep. Cheaper maintenance, cheaper parts, better availability of parts, easier to work on.

3. crazycooter91

crazycooter91 Roll Tide

between the two, I would go with the jeep just do to the fact that it would be easier to find parts for in my town (small town in north alabama) and a good bit cheaper than parts for a mercedes benz (even though that model is built within 2 hours from me).

but if that's not an issue for you, get the mercedes

4. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Nothing made by Chrysler is worth owning.

5. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

You'll pay for the Mercedes twice, once when you buy it and the second time when you try maintain it.

6. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

7. ND40oz

ND40oz

I'd be worried about the 46RE in the ZJ, I replaced mine at 52k, with 68k on it, it's probably time for a rebuild or a new one.

8. fgutie35

fgutie35

Neither. What you are going to spend on parts for the "Meche" (Mercedez), you will waste it on the thirsty sailor 5.9L on gas. Im in the market for a high towing, fuel efficient midsize SUV and so far the champions are:
    2004/2005 Toyota 4Runner
    2004/2005 GMC Envoy XL
    For the same price range you mentioned. Both of these vehicles configured with V6 engines 4WD and Tow Package.

9. method

method

The transmission is a particular concern of mine on the Jeep. Just hear too many bad things about Chrysler transmissions.

From the little I've read, the Mercedes gearbox seems solid.

10. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I say neither as well. There has got to be other options around you. But if I HAD to choose between the two, I would choose the Jeep only because of the cost and availability of parts in the long run.

11. method

method

There really are no other choices in a muscle/Hi Po SUV that maintains some off road capability. It'll be one of these two until a 2011+ Porsche Cayenne manual has a few years to depreciate.

12. TK-421

TK-421

I'd definitely go with the Jeep, like has been stated, easier to work on, easier to get parts, and parts are a lot cheaper. My uncle only drives Grand Cherokees, pre-Chrysler ones, because they can easily do 300k without any major repairs.