which sub-compact glock for carry?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Rodman, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Rodman

Rodman

i cant decide on which caliber to go with 9mm, .40s&w, or .357sig and i need your opinins. this gun is only going to be a carry gun, not a range gun so i am not worried about recoil. i actually had some questions about the barrel being fully supported and i know the .357 sig barrels are supported the best. anyways what do you guys recommend for a carry caliber, basically i mean the most potent. thanks for all the replies in advance.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

IMHO:

Any of the three bullets will take care of business. The 26 has 10+1, the others are 9+1. 9mm ammo is cheapest, and even if it's a carry gun you'll still need to practice. Some of the +P and +P+ rounds are hot! The ammo for the 27 is a bit more expensive but you don't get much more effective than 165 gr. Golden Sabre. .357Sig in the 33 may be a hot round but the barrel is so short it won't make much difference. The ammo is harder to find and expensive.

I chose the 27 because the 26 wasn't available the day I went to buy it. I like .40 anyway. Any of the three will stop the BG.

3. Rodman

Rodman

Harlequin, i appreciate your opinion. i was wonderinf if the short barrel would change the effectiveness of the round but you are right. either round will do the job as long as i do mine. i was just trying to justify which one to buy. i have owned all three in the past but its been awhile. i intend to practice with the gun of course but its mainly going to be my carry gun. i already have a glock 34 so maybe i will just stick to the 9mm. thanks again.
    ;?

4. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

I'd go for the 27. I don't know where orange lake is but if it's near Jacksonville, you're welcome to try out my 27. I also have a 33 barrel for it if you'd like to shoot em' both. I have mag's with +1's and without.

5. Rodman

Rodman

redskyzatknight, i appreciate the offer. its been awhile since i have shot either round in a sub-compact glock. i am not too far from you, about 1 1/2 hours. i was actually in Middleburg yesterday visiting a friend. i might take you up on your offer. where do you shoot? my buddy is a member at the Gateway range, i went there once and its was a very nice range.
    thank you

6. gunsite

gunsite CLM

7. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

That wasn't one of his options.

If you have a 34 that would definitely sway my opinion to the 26. No sense in having a dozen different types of ammo lying around. That's the biggest problem I have is that I have .40 and .45 laying all over the place and nowhere secured to put it.

8. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

I prefer the 27. Shoot only factory ammo so the reloadability of hot stuff is not an issue. Golden Sabres for carry and Winchester Whte Box for practice. Works for me.:) :)

9. Scoob

Scoob

I rented a G27 and G26 a while back at the range and I liked them both. It comes down to personal preference. I've shot a friends G33 and guess what, I liked it too. If I HAD to pick one it'd be the G26 for quick follow ups.

As for most potent, it depends on what you like. The G26 is quicker on target and carries an extra round. The .40 and 357sig carry the same number of rounds, and power depends on how hot of a round your shooting. I like .40 better because it's bigger.

10. mikeb9550

mikeb9550

I shot both the 27 and the 26. I liked the 26 much better. I shot a lot better but I dont know why with the 26 but I am sure it was just me. Maybe I was anticipating the recoil or something.

11. Rodman

Rodman

thanks for the suggestions guys, i really appreciate it.^5

12. anomad

anomad

If you already have a 9mm, keep it simple and stick with the G26. You could even cram a full sized mag in there if you needed to.

13. Rodman

Rodman

well Guys, i went to the gun shop last night on the way home and i did a bad thing. he had both the glock 26 and 27. i was actually going to go with the 27 and buy a 9mm conversion barrel for it. but then i saw the Kahr PM9, i liked it size and weight much better. and i walked out with it, sorry guys i had to do it. i know it wont probably shoot as good but i figured for everyday carry it would fit me needs better. i am going to try and hit the range to try and see how she goes today.

14. dougmc

dougmc

I think you made a fine choice in the Kahr. I have a 26 that gets alot of pocket cary time. I picked up a Kahr yesterday and it felt great in my hand. I considered it- but between the three pockett guns I have now I don't know if I can make enough room for it. But I think you made the right choice in the 9mm caliber. I'm not a 40cal fan. That will probably change one day but I think that if I were to step up from a 38 special +p or 9mm - I might as well go to a 45acp.

15. redskyzatknight

You made a great choice. I have one as well and I must admit, it's almost impossible to leave the house with a Glock anymore. Truly the one gun I have carried that I forget it's there. For IWB, try one of these:

16. Rodman

Rodman

well i just got back from the range and i shot 200 rounds of ball ammo and 36 rounds of Winchester Ranger 115gr +p+. the gun had 2 FTEs when i shot it rapid fire. it happened once on each mag the first time i did it. i then shot rapid fire 3 more times out of each mag and it didnt happen again, a simple tap and rack cleared the case. accuracy was very good for such a small gun. i need to shoot it some more to get use to the trigger reset. i am totally happy with my purchase, now i need an extra 6 round mag with a pearce grip extension and some holsters. thanks guys for all your help.

17. redskyzatknight