close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which stock Glock for Amateur Stock competition?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by nearsightednate, Nov 2, 2006.

1. nearsightednate

nearsightednate

Hi.

I think the title says it all? If I want to compete in GSSF Amateur Stock division, what is the most common Glock used for this? What parts are OK to switch out but still be "Stock"?

Thanks for your time.
    Nate

2. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

In Amateur Civilian you can use any Glock except the G34/G35 or G36. This goes for Am. Guardian as well (this group is like the above only for LEO, Military, firefighters, emts, etc.) and the same guns. In Amatuer Competition, you can use the G34/G35 as well as in the Unlimited Class (this class you can put bells and whistles of any kind on you Glock, including a scope or red dot).

As long as you use Glock factory parts, e.g. triggers, barrels, springs, etc. The grip and the sights can be a different brand.

In Amatuer Sub-Compact the G26/G27, G30 and some others.

For a complete listing, go to gssfonline.com and it will give you the rules, facts and results as well as schedules. Hope you start to compete.

If I was getting a gun to compete the most with, I'd start with a G17 or even a G19. You can get into more categories that way. I hope you enjoy whatevever model you buy. Welcome to GSSF competition. WARNING - IT IS ADDICTING!

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

as for most common you'll see about everything that is legal to shoot. my guess for the most common is the 9mm followed by the .40s. i used a 23 for years with good results but decided it got too hot shooting two classes back to back with it and bought a 22 that gave me better scores than the 23.

4. Turak

Turak

The most common pistol for Amateur Civilian has been without a doubt the G17. For Amateur Competition the G34 seems to be the popular choice.

5. nearsightednate

nearsightednate

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I need to pick up a few toys!

Nate

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Nate....suggestion...buy and use a model a 17 for (4) categories...1)Unlimited 2) Master Stock 3) Competition and 4)Amateur Civilian...you can shoot all (4) with one pistol and for $100.00 a match improve your scores get more trigger time and get used to competing. I've seen people shoot better scores with guns that would typically be not be as competitive due to sight radius...sights ...or options...BUT the key as an Amateur is too shoot often and adapt to one thing. I've seen one of our recent Masters graduate shooting a 61.xx with a sub-compact then shoot an 88.xx with a longer slide...I'm wondering if the intensity to Master the smaller less perceived competitive arm assisted in Mastering the smaller arm??? To make a long story short...Master One!!!!:thumbsup:

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

to follow up on what dennis has said a g29, g30, and g39 would be allowed in every class. may not be the best choice but they'd be allowed. i've shot the G22 better than i did the G35s so i quit shooting the G35 in comp and used the G22 for MS, AmCiv, and Comp, back when i was allowed to shoot AmCiv and Comp. i shoot the g27 at indoor GSSF matches as well as any of the glocks, but i've never got a 500 with it, lots of 498s but no 500s.

8. JonInWA

JonInWA

I personally prefer my G17 usually, followed by my G21. There's an excellent discussion and matrix on this issue in Robin Taylor's book, "The Glock In Competition." The real answer probably lies within you and your own individual preferences-which Glock feels the best, which do you shoot the best, which caliber do you prefer, how many GSSF categories do you want to enter (which really boils down to: How many Glocks do you want to bring-as I recall, the Glock capable of being entered in the most categories is the G30).

That said, I would guess that most shooters in Amateur Stock use a G17, due to a combination of longer sight plane, proven reliability, inexpensive 9mm ammunition, minimal recoil, ease in reloading, and length/controllability of grip.

Best, Jon

9. nearsightednate

nearsightednate

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I'm looking forward to making a fool of myself in competition!

Nate

10. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

You will be admired for the courage in deciding to compete regardless of the result.Remember we ALL Started as inexperienced...I have been trying to get people to just come and they are scared to death...they will not admit to this...but I know because I was and we all still feel nervous in competing...you will miss unbelievable experiences and people if you do not go....this is a Family and one that you can be proud of ...Fool no....A wise person wanting to experience Life and future friends who enjoy your passion yes...:thumbsup:

11. Adam5

Adam5

As long as you have fun doing it, nothing else matters. I've been shooting a Glock since late Sept, and my first (and only) outdoor GSSF match was Conyers. I shot an embarrasing 347. I had a GREAT time though, and look foward to next chance I have to go to a match. I do shoot a monthly indoor GSSF match at my local range and am improving. I just need to work on tightening up my grouping at 25 yards.