Glock 17 which spring for G17 mag w/ +2?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glock-A-Roo, Jun 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Glock-A-Roo

Glock-A-Roo

I've seen various comments to the effect that "using a stock G17 mag w/ stock G17 spring and a factory +2 extension will eventually cause failures", ostensibly because the factory spring won't provide quite enough force for the last couple rounds.

But I have not seen any credible recommendations on what IS the right spring for the G17 w/ +2. If there have been, I've missed it.

As it is, I've got some brand new, non-LEO marked fullcap G17 mags that I put the factory +2 extension on. They feed fine, and when loaded w/ 19 rounds there doesn't seem to be ANY room left for additional spring coils.

Today I spoke with a person in the tech department at Glock in Smyrna. They said that the above mag configuration should be just fine. They said that the latest/greatest fullcap G17 mag springs have 10 or 11 (couldn't remember exactly) coils while some older ones came with 9 coil springs.

Anybody got reliable info on problems with this mag setup? If you did have problems, what fixed it? Thanks in advance.

2. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

New full size mags have the 11-coil spring in them. These were Glock's solution to the problems some people were having when they added a light on the rail. The light stiffened the frame, which is designed to flex during recoil, which in turned accelerated the slide travel. The new mag spring adds enough extra oomph to get the top round up, ready to be chambered, before the slide returns forward.

Anyway, try using the 11-coil spring mags. If you encounter any problems, or just want to hedge your bets, order an extra power Wolff spring.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...&title=SEMI-AUTO+EXTRA+POWER+MAGAZINE+SPRINGS

3. Glock-A-Roo

Glock-A-Roo

Ah, just the kind of info I needed. Thanks, H20-5O.

Sounds like the +2 problems were on older mags w/ lower powered springs.