Which Sling?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by madcitycop, Feb 11, 2010.

1. madcitycop

madcitycop

Ok boys and girls the final step to completing the beast. You all have done me well so far. Which sling should I put on my patrol rifle its a colt 6920 and the requirement is "a sling system suitable for tactical deployment where the weapon may be retained “hands free” yet ready for immediate use." Used a couple different kinds while I was overseas but mostly a wolf clip to my vest and thats not an option now so what do you guys think?? Last one and I promise pics are on the way as things come in!

2. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Ooh. Tough.

I'll tell you what NOT to get. The 3-points get in the way of the controls, and get tangles too easily. Avoid those like herpes.

I have been using a Blackhawk single point with a magpul ASAP sling attachment. It's a dream for shoot house stuff when you have to transition from shoulder to shoulder depending on where you're at in the stack. But for climbing down the snow-covered retaining wall or going hands on, they blow goats. They swing around and punch you right in the cock if you get in a hurry. So - for actual use of the rifle, they're great.

I literally just ordered the magpul MS2 sling, which seems like a good compromise in theory. It's convertible from single point to two-point (think VTAC or Blue Force gear's VCAS two-points) very quickly. Much better control of the rifle when slung, all the advantages of the 2-point and single pooint.

But again, right now this is theory. I'm doing some training next week, and will use the sling for that. Will let ya know what I think once I get a little time with it.

Bet a good single or two-point. But overall, for single points the ASAP is the best attachment option.

3. madcitycop

madcitycop

Yeah I was definitely thinking 2 point and was just looking at some videos on the VTAC and Blue Force. I'm definitely looking for the best option for transition to pistol and hands on.

4. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

I have found the good old traditional 2-point sling to serve quite well. It may not be the best for anything, but it works pretty good for everything.

5. trdvet

trdvet

I like my Magpul.

6. TheDog21

TheDog21

I'm currently using a 3 pt sling from Blackhawk...not bad, but like it was said earlier...kinda gets in the way. I'll be switching to the VTAC sling shortly

7. madcitycop

madcitycop

which one?

8. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I have the Magpul MS2 and like it a lot. I like being able to use it as either a single or two point sling.

9. CW Mock

CW Mock

I have the 2 point Vicker's sling from Blue Force, and its been great. Less straps and flaps to get tangled when "un-assing" the car in a hurry, and throwing it on.

Also, a perk for a left handed rifle shooter ... the Vicker's can be set up to let out enough slack that the rifle can be at your side while sitting in a CVPI, between your thigh and the door. I do this when i know I'm going to a bad call, and its nice to roll up, open the door and stand up with the rifle ready. Quick tug of the adjuster, and its at ready length. Pics if needed. (If you ride shotgun in a 2 man car as a right handed shooter it would work the same)

10. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I'm WAY too fat go get anything larger than a penny between me and the door.

11. trdvet

trdvet

MS2, nice to switch from a one point to a two point.

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've used 3 points for a few years before and tried out the single point to be tacticool, but as soon as I heard of the 2 point and saw some videos, I ordered one and tried it. I think I will never use a 3 or 1 ever again.

The 2 point VTAC design is that good. It's completely opposite of how you would wear a 1 or 3 point sling, but it works wonders for useability, functionality, retention, presentation, flexibility, and versatility.

13. Puppy

Puppy

I mainly use a simple single point, quick detach bungie, I really don't like any of my 2 or 3 point slings all that much.

14. COBRA90GT

COBRA90GT

I like my Viking Tactics VTAC sling. I'm a fan of two point slings, but each type of sling (1, 2, or 3 point) has their own pros and cons.

If you can, try out several slings (brand/model) before you buy.

15. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

Another vote for the VTAC 2 point setup. I hate getting cokpunched by my rifle when doing a transition while moving.