Glock Talk banner

Which slide stop do you prefer, Gens 1-4 or Gen5?

• Gens 1-4

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Gen5

Votes: 10 34.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which slide stop do you prefer, Generations 1-4 or Gen5?

Reactions: Papa glock

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I prefer the older ones, but I also prefer those generations over the Gen 5 altogether. Most of what can be found on the Gen 5 Glock has already used at one point or other so I don't see it as being anything actually new or must have, unless you're left handed or detest finger grooves.

·
I'm not retired
8,488 Posts
What is significant with the Gen 5's? I've never shot a Gen 5 but have held a couple. Never paid no mind to the slide stop lever. I do not like the little tab under the SSL, on the frame. I filed those off eons ago, on all my Gen 4's.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My hands naturally ride high on pistols, and I ride the slide stop on the Gen5. I prefer the Gens1-4 slide stops much better. Personally, I think the Gen4, although not perfect, is my favorite generation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I voted Gen 1-4, but only with a Vickers Tactical slide stop installed.
I really like the grip on the Gen5 but the slide stop lever is just very slightly larger or sticks out farther because I've kept the lever down keeping the slide from locking back on the last round.
This never happened on my Gen3's.

I haven't tried the Vickers lever on my Gen5 but I've read they're not quite the same design as the Gen1-4.

·
Super Moderator
20,284 Posts
If you practice/train with a Gen1 through Gen4 Glock and pick-up a Gen5, you can still use it effectively with your older Glock training.

If you practice/train with a Gen5 Glock, and get used to using the right-side slide stop lever to release the slide, then find yourself having to use a Gen1-Gen4 Glock in a stressful situation, you could waste valuable time or get confused trying to find/use a part that does not exist. Ever seen an old 1911 shooter get flustered when using a newer autoloader that doesn't have a thumb safety? Their thumb flops around and paws at the frame/slide junction, frantically searching for the little moving part that it's used to finding there, and the clock is ticking the whole while.

I have Glocks Gen1 through Gen5, but I probably won't spend any time using the right-side slide stop lever on the Gen5 models. As a rightie, if I'm shooting a pistol left-handed, something really bad has happened to my right hand, so with that in mind, virtually all my left-handed training is one-handed training that can be used with ANY auto (using the left trigger finger or thumb to release the slide, or hooking the rear sight on a nearby object or your shoe to pull/release the slide, if needed).

If I was a lefty, and only owned Gen5 Glocks (and other autos with ambi slide releases), then I'd train to use all the right-side levers.
But for now, I'll stick with (and prefer) the standard left-side slide stop lever, even when shooting lefty.

EDIT: I'm also not a fan of the added width of the dual-lever setup on the Gen5.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I prefer the Ghost Bullet Forward slide stop. I prefer a slide release that can actually be used as one, with my support hand. I put them on every Gen 3 I've ever owned. I've not bought a Gen 5 because they don't make one for the Gen 5's, that's how much I like them.

The OEM Glock or the Vickers Tactical extended Gen 5 slide releases are a poor substitute.

IMHO and YMMV

·
troy ounce gold
1,703 Posts
The 1 that comes with my preferred Gen (which is NOT Gen 5).

Reactions: BDM71 and indivi

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
I don't value the ambi-release, and anything that protrudes (adding a bit of width and snag points) that isn't necessary is of no value to me. I strongly prefer one-sided controls that can be changed to the opposite side. So Gen 1-4 for me.

In watching these surveys, it does seem that Glock added a feature that are consistently shown to NOT be the preference of Glock owners.

The only reason I can think of to explain this is if they had an eye on police departments or military groups and wanting guns to fit lefties and righties without any modifications and having maximal interchangeability when deployed to the field (anyone can pick up any gun, and they are identical, no modifications needed). Other than that, it appears they added a feature many simply don't value that might have been better offered as an upgrade part.

It is a very small thing (not a big deal), but if your latest offering is LESS PREFERRED than prior offerings, a company should certainly take notice! Although this survey is un-scientific, it has been repeated a few times with the same conclusion. The majority don't seem to prefer it.

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
Your new survey seems to show more fans of the ambi-style stop, but it is still the minority. Old survey from 2017 is cited below. It is always interesting to see these data points and old and new surveys to see what people are liking!

A subtle distinction between the two surveys... the newer slide stop is thicker, so perhaps some liking the Gen5 on this survey like them for reasons OTHER THAN the fact they are ambi. The data doesn't reveal that potential nuance. The survey below specifically asks about the ambi-stop feature (it doesn't note or ask about size/thickness/protective ridge of the ambi-stop, which is a difference that wasn't noted in the old survey, and may be important to some, but overlooked in this old survey).

Source: GlockTalk:
Gen5 Feature Opinion Survey

·
Gunslinger
2,115 Posts
I don't value the ambi-release, and anything that protrudes (adding a bit of width and snag points) that isn't necessary is of no value to me. I strongly prefer one-sided controls that can be changed to the opposite side. So Gen 1-4 for me.

In watching these surveys, it does seem that Glock added a feature that are consistently shown to NOT be the preference of Glock owners.

The only reason I can think of to explain this is if they had an eye on police departments or military groups and wanting guns to fit lefties and righties without any modifications and having maximal interchangeability when deployed to the field (anyone can pick up any gun, and they are identical, no modifications needed). Other than that, it appears they added a feature many simply don't value that might have been better offered as an upgrade part.

It is a very small thing (not a big deal), but if your latest offering is LESS PREFERRED than prior offerings, a company should certainly take notice! Although this survey is un-scientific, it has been repeated a few times with the same conclusion. The majority don't seem to prefer it.
I think what people fail to understand is that Glock is first and foremost, in the business of securing contracts to supply fighting pistols to militaries and police forces around the world. Civilian gun owners in the USA, and to a lesser extent around the world, are a secondary market that simply adds to their market base.

The Gen 5 Glock pistol was not the result of poor sales by the Gen 3 or Gen 4 models. It was the result of a request by the FBI for a large number of pistols with a very specific set of modifications that was going to require Glock to make some tooling changes in their manufacturing plant in order to produce. Obviously, it was a large enough contract that they certainly didn’t want to lose it, and they likely figured they could use the contract with the FBI as a marketing tool to sell the new configuration to other buyers as well.

Shortly before I retired from law enforcement, my agency had a Glock rep out on our range, showing off the then-new Glock “M” models. They explained to us that this was the pistol selected by the FBI, and that if ordered, ours would be practically the same, but would be marked as “Gen 5” guns. Our agency had issued SIG Sauer P220 .45 Auto’s for the previous 20 years, and repeated attempts to get our administrators to listen to the idea of Glock, or 9mm had been met with not only a no, but a HELL NO.

It seems that the selection of those particularly spec’ed pistols by the FBI played a role in convincing our bosses to change their minds, and I am sure the same thing happened with a lot of other agencies as well. We adopted the Gen 5 Glock 17.

The bottom line is that new generations of Glock pistols don’t come about because private owners ask for certain features. They come about because the military of some nation, or some law enforcement agency with a big name comes along and orders tens of thousands (or more) of Glock pistols with some modifications that the company sees as an opportunity to market as a “new” gun. When some agency like the LAPD, or the NYPD decides to order all new Glock’s, and asks for a different grip texture, a different magazine release, the return of finger grooves, and a unique style of slide serrations... that’ll be your Gen 6. And, everyone will praise the greatness of them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.