close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

which single stage press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sig357fan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. sig357fan

sig357fan

like the title says, which single stage press and why?

to be used for rifle ammo (308, 303, 8mm).

also where to buy.

sig357fan

2. Lothar

Lothar Noob

RCBS Rock Chucker... why? Because it'll never break. Keep it clean and lubed and it will last your lifetime and you can pass it down to your grandkids.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Everybody makes a good single stage, I don't think you'll go wrong no matter what you get.

IGF

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

I agree

5. dudel

dudel

Not sure I'd like to use an RCBS Partner press or the small Lee press for rifle ammo. It can be done; but why? There's just not the same leverage as you get with a full size press.

For rifle ammo, nothing better than a Coax press. A Rockchucker is a very close second and costs half. Both will outlast several owners if properly cared for. Lyman, Hornady, Redding and Lee all make perfectly good full size single stage presses.

One thing I would stay away from would be some of the antique presses you find on eBay. Might find a good buy; may also buy a dud.

Don

6. D. Manley

D. Manley

IMO, best for the bucks, Lee Classic Cast...best period, Forster Co-Axial.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Doesn't matter what you buy... your butler's gonna do the loading for you anyway... isn't he? :whistling:

Jack

8. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

I started out with a progressive press (Dillon 550B) and I'm not a mechanical type person whatsoever. Because you can manually index, I think you have the best of two worlds (i.e. you control the four different stations). The other day I loaded up 500 .223 rounds in just a couple of hours. I would hate to duplicate or even come close to that amount with a single stage. Many contend that starting out, a single press is the way to go.....but you can see, I'm not a proponent of that thought process. If you get the single press, I can guarantee you'll be wanting a progressive in "no time at all". I don't mean to shatter your world with these comments.....but give some thought to what I have said. Good Luck either way. :wavey:

9. fredj338

fredj338

Nothing wrong w/ starting on a ss, especially if you load for several rifle rounds. For my hunting rigs, I seldom load more than 20rds at a time, a waste of money & setup for a progressive. I own two 550B & still laod quite a bit on my RCBS AmmoMaster. It's just easier for 20rds of this or 20rds of that. You can also use heavier ss presses for things you would not do on a progressive of any kind, like case forming, bullet sizing, bullet swaging, depriming only, etc. They are so inexpensive, everyine should have a ss press on their bench.:supergrin:
    All the manuf make a heavy duty ss press. They all work well. The Lee ClassicCast is probably the bet bang for your buck. Just don't buy the light duty/cheap presses from any of the manuf, just not tough enough for all the things you may do. The FOrster is probably the Porche of ss presses but I do like my AmmoMaster for the really big rounds. It was designed for 50BMG so will handle about anything you can think fo doing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  10. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I started on a Rockchucker and went to a... well, I never left the Rockchucker. Great single stage press. I hear fantastic things about the Co-Ax though...

11. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

Fred ....I think you made my point.......you have "2" progressive presses and "blue to boot". :supergrin:

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

True enough, but I was simply stating all the manufacturers make a good single stage press.. Some of them have more than one, and you have to find which one will do what you want. The cheap Lee Classic Cast will do just as well as a Rockchucker.

IGF

13. fredj338

fredj338

Not really. I have loaded for years on one 550B & the AmmoMaster. Bought my dad a 550B to load nothing but 45colt ammo for me, I was shooting about 2K rds a month in CAS. Then he passed away 3yrs ago & I go the press back. I was going to sell it, but hey, one for large & one for small primers!:supergrin: I still use the heck out of my ss. It gets all the rifle hunting ammo done; 280,7mmDakota, 338-06, 338x74K, 404jeffery. I also us it for case forming, bullet resizing (make cheap plinkers out of 300gr44mags for my 404J), etc. Even C4W is now thinking he "needs" a ss press.:rofl:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010