Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at either Nighthawk or Wilson/Scattergun Tech. The price of the sights from Nighthawk are considerably more than the Wilsons...I am looking at Ghost ring sights no matter which company I go with.

The main difference...the Nighthawk sights are guarded/shrouded front and rear and the NH front sight would be fiber optic...not Tritium. The Scattergun Tech sights are not shrouded and come with a Tritium insert front sight.

Anyone out there have any experiences with either?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Provided that the Scattergun Technologies/Trijicon/Wilson Combat Trak-Lock sights are properly installed, they are almost bulletproof.
While protected front sight posts do look cool, I find that they often contribute to visual confusion. They choice is yours.
Nighthawk offers your choice of either tritium or fiber optic.

·
Federal Member
29,602 Posts
Provided that the Scattergun Technologies/Trijicon/Wilson Combat Trak-Lock sights are properly installed, they are almost bulletproof.
While protected front sight posts do look cool, I find that they often contribute to visual confusion. They choice is yours.
Nighthawk offers your choice of either tritium or fiber optic.
I went with the Trak Lock night sights on my 870.

:thumbsup:

·
The Cooler
770 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. The one thing about the sights from Nighthawk, is that the front sight is silver soldered...instead of pinned, and to my understanding, is much more durable.

Also, the Nighthawk sights can come with a fiber optic front sight or Tritium...with Wilson its only Tritium, and I was leaning towards the fiber optic.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. The one thing about the sights from Nighthawk, is that the front sight is silver soldered...instead of pinned, and to my understanding, is much more durable.

Also, the Nighthawk sights can come with a fiber optic front sight or Tritium...with Wilson its only Tritium, and I was leaning towards the fiber optic.
Nothing wrong with the Nighthawk, then. Sounds like what you really want.

When you find something well-built, and works for you, you won't care about the price difference in 25 years when that 870 is still running strong.

·
Federal Member
29,602 Posts
I must also agree...that is one fine looking 870, love the wood furniture...I have the same furniture, but made from polymer, it looks better made from wood...very nice!

This is my 870 as it is today.

:cool:

·
Registered
15,179 Posts
I personally despise the Remington factory rifle sights, thats what is on my issued 870P. The have a short sight radius and a tiny notch that is hard to pick up quickly, especially in low light. I personally shoot slugs with a bead sight faster and just as accurate as the Remington rifle sights out to 50+ yards. At 100 yards the Remington sights are more accurate, but slow to line up.

I like the Wilson sights and would have them on my duty gun if it were up to me, but its no go as they require permanent installation.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
...The one thing about the sights from Nighthawk, is that the front sight is silver soldered...instead of pinned, and to my understanding, is much more durable...
Anybody can use a torch and/or pliars to remove your current front sight, and anybody who knows how to silver solder can attach the Trak-Lok sight with silver solder.

There is discolouration associated with the heat, so you may want to have the barrel re-parkerized. If you want to have the barrel re-parkerized, the gunsmith will remove the tritium vial from the sight before he does the job and re-install the vial into the sight as the very last step, only after all other work is done.

The only reason the alternate (drill, epoxy, and pin) method is suggested is because a lot of customers prefer to Do It Themselves, and to avoid the extra cost.

·
NRA Life Member
13,390 Posts
You can't install the Trac-loc sights with silver solder. They are aluminum and will melt at temps required to make silver solder flow. The melting point of aluminum is 1,221 degrees and silver solder needs 1,355 degrees to flow. Soft solder flows at around 700-800 iirc. So soft solder--maybe. But not the recommended method.

The Wilson front sight standard installation is to epoxy it to the barrel and drill a retention pin through the original bead base on a Remington shotgun.

The rear sight is attached via a pair of screws drilled and tapped into the receiver.

If you look at a Wilson front sight you will see why it doesn't require a pair of protection wings. Its stout as hell and it will bend you barrel before the sight gets bent.

Wilson will install these sights on your shotgun for a very reasonable (read small) charge. I think if you buy the sights from them their cost to install is like $40. They will advise the gun might need refinishing but when I got mine back there were two small and barely noticable rub marks on the barrel on either side of the front sight from their jig and a light application of cold blue made the marks disappear.

The Wilson sights have been around for 20 years and are simplicity and rugged as hell.

·
Registered
14,739 Posts
For HD use, night sights would be best. Fiber optic doesn't show up well in the dark.

I like LPA, but Wilson's are great sights.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
You can't install the Trac-loc sights with silver solder. They are aluminum and will melt at temps required to make silver solder flow...
Hmm...:upeyes: I wonder why you can find iron oxide on a neglected Trak-Lok sight? Let's do a quick search, shall we?
The TRAK-LOCK® II Tactical Sight is the #1 choice of Law Enforcement worldwide! The TRAK-LOCK® II gives you high speed sight acquisition and improved accuracy. This rugged sight set is fully CNC machined from bar stock steel and features a tritium insert in the front sight for low light use. Both elevation and windage are quickly and easily adjusted with a single hex head screw. Easy to install, complete instructions included.
  • High Speed Sight Acquisition and Improved Accuracy
  • Fully CNC Machined from Bar Stock Steel
  • Elevation and Windage are Quickly and Easily Adjusted with a Single Hex Head Screw
  • US Patent #5210953
Fits most 12 Gauge Remington 870, 1100 and 1187 models.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Trak-Lo...-Gauge-Tritium-Front/productinfo/SGTL2-TF-12/

·
NRA Life Member
13,390 Posts
Hmm...:upeyes: I wonder why you can find iron oxide on a neglected Trak-Lok sight? Let's do a quick search, shall we?
You still can't silver solder it. If you do you'll destroy the tritium vial.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts