Which should I do LEOSA carry in NY

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CBennett, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Keep SR9c and get 2 more Mags carry that with 7 rounds

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Switch over to a newer single stack

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. Top Glock10mm

Top Glock10mm Previously Jisbell40

I’d go get it purely out of spite if nothing else

2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I retired prior to LEOSA being enacted into law, so I can't claim any prescience or great planning for the future. However, discussions such as this provide me with yet another reason to enjoy the 1911 as my weapon of choice. Whether 7,8, or 9 rounds it does not run afoul of the increasingly egregious and constantly changing patchwork of interstate magazine capacity laws (YET).

LEOSA has been amended once to clarify some qualification issues and to also negate ammunition restrictions. One can only hope that it is modified once again in the near future to nullify magazine capacity restrictions.

3. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

When in Rome...………..hey carry what they carry in NYC a Glock-19, why not?

Top Glock10mm likes this.
  4. Orive 8

Orive 8

I live in PA and am covered under the Retired Officer LEOSA regs. Yes, the LEOSA regs only stipulate "Pistol" and/or "Revolver", but in some states - PA being one, the state has decided to include their "2 Cents" into the equation.

I have been qualifying in PA now for a while (I also used to fly out to WA to shoot my qual with my old agency when I flew out for vacation) and MPOETC has changed things a few times.

Where I currently shoot my qualification, the Instructor informed me that currently, if you qualify with a 9mm Glock, you can carry any 9mm Glock.

I have shot my last 3 yearly quals with my Glock 19. When I travel out of state I carry my Glock 26 with 10 round mags or my Glock 19 with 10 round mags. A few years back I travel to Mass, going through NY - I had my 26 with 10 round mags and downloaded to 7 rds when travelling through NY, at that time the court had not updated the Safe Act 7 mag limit round B.S.

5. CBennett

CBennett

Believe me i looked at the Shield and XD in .45APC
    the non single stack glocks dont seem to fit my hands right

6. CBennett

CBennett

When I travel there thats what ive been carrying actually a 5 shot CH85 snubby. That said is why I did the poll...apparently im covered currently but wont be when I start retired LEOSA carrying...I mean I could be if I qualified with the Snubby....but then thats the ONLY one i could carry....and id just like a better option..thus the poll..

7. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Tell the Tyrants in NY to kiss your ass and move. The Crips, Bloods, Mexican Gangs and Aryan Gangs won’t adhere to mag capacity restrictions.

8. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

LEOSA is not complicated. It says what it says, it's a very black and white law. It's people who overthink things that make it confusing.

Sam Spade likes this.
  9. CBennett

CBennett

I did long ago...I live in PA but since all my family and friends are still in NY I travel back a lot...thats what the whole post is about...going from PA back to NY yet staying in compliance with NY stupid laws.

Will Beararms likes this.
  10. CBennett

CBennett

Yes but also each little LE "community" has their own ways of administering it and how and or what they stand behind you on...for instance what ive read...MANY PD and im talking BIG PD's Small PD's and all in between..will only cover you for the gun you qualify with.. aka if you carry a Glock 17 on duty thats all they will say you can be covered for off duty and under LEOSA...actually this seems to be very prevalent....My department seems to be one of those that dont stipulate while on active duty(aka not retired) and qualified..they dont state you can ONLY carry that off duty..they just let you carry under LEOSA and dont say what you can or cant carry...

Same deal here when retired...only a few people do the retired LEOSA course...and every one (ive talked to 2 of the 3 that do it/run it) and they both said that what you come/bring to qualify on is what you are covered to carry...thats it...and im not that test Guinea pig type thats gonna go to jail/get arrested just to let them know they are wrong ;)

11. CBennett

CBennett

Oh and I do get what you are saying LEOSA does state type and that should cover ANY handgun pistol or revilver if thats what u qualify with..I was just stating what 2 of the 3 local guys said....and I dont know why they are like that..maybe the 3rd guy is different or maybe I can look around and find one that qualifies you/me and doesnt state you MUST carry only that gun..

12. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Maryland has some draconian gun laws, however, the LEOSA regulations are as seanmac45 said, here.
    (Note: The goobermint here, was PISSED OFF, when LEOSA passed, and the state HAD to honor LEOSA!! These morons don't like anyone carrying a firearm except ACTIVE LEO!)
    :)

One of my very best friends is a retired Deputy U.S. Marshal.
    He goes for qualification(s) every 6 months, on a rotating basis.
    (Qualifications just happen to be with our county's Sheriff's Dept., and the range is our Sportsman's Club range, which we are both Life Member.)
    One qualification for revolver.
    One qualification for semi-auto.
    In this way, he can carry whatever he wants to.

He first qualified with my G19 Gen3, and carried his Sig p230. He then bought a G19 Gen3, then a Shield 9mm, and eventually a G42 and G43.
    Now, he qualifies with a G17 Gen 4, for the larger gripframe (taller).

For revolver qualification, he uses a S&W mdl 19-4 or mdl 15.
    He carries a S&W mdl 36 or 2-1/2" mdl 66.

My suggestion for a carry pistol would be the Shield in either 9mm or .40; or .45 acp.
    The pistol virtually disappears when carried either IWB or OWB.

ETA: Can't figure out/understand the text with 'strike-through'. ????

13. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

Yes, but cops tend to read too much into things. The LEOSA discussions on the PD range were headache inducing.

The department can mandate that you only qualify/carry a Glock 17. But if you go out of state and carry a Sig, you're not breaking the law, just their rules. You're not going to jail. Granted department policy can read like law at times, but it's not. No they may not back you if you get into a shooting on vacation with a Sig instead of their Glock, but at that point you're acting as any other "civilian" anyway. It's not illegal to carry a different gun than what you qualify with. Only against some departments draconian interpretation of an otherwise simple law.

And unless it's printed on whatever LEOSA card your agency gives you, how is an outside agency supposed to know what you qualified with?

Intolerant, isp2605 and fastbolt like this.
  14. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan

Here in Florida it's "qual with a revolver carry any revolver. Qual with an auto carry any auto". The Florida card only says "Semi Automatic" or "Revolver". Going to NY (for family events ONLY), even though the 7 round limit was thrown out, Id still only carry a revolver or an auto with a 7 round or less mag cap. Some local officers (with all due respect) might not "have gotten the word" and try to jack you up. It was nice that prior to retirement I could carry anything I wanted in NY - usually my issued firearm. Local or State Officers couldn't touch a firearm that is "Property of the U.S. Government".

15. fastbolt

fastbolt

That little agency can think whatever it wishes to think regarding the type, or specific, handgun you use for qualification. Their range, their rules.

Once you have the LEOSA qual document (in whatever form that may be), combined with your ID card showing you're honorably retired LE - (and permitted to carry a concealed firearm, in whatever form that may take according to your state's laws and statutes) - do you really think the other agencies in the other states you visit are going to care what that one agency thinks?

My former agency used to have a guy running the FTU who wanted to treat LEOSA quals the same as off-duty quals, which at my agency meant specifically listing off-duty weapons by make, model, serial number and caliber (like duty weapons).

The next guy taking over the unit reviewed LEOSA and then also made some calls to other agencies, and decided to go the route of listing whether the retiree qualified with either a revolver or a pistol, or both, and didn't list any other specifics of the weapons used.

I'm waiting to see if the next head of the unit recommends changing it to a retiree having simply qualified with a handgun.

Now, here in CA retired peace officers who were formerly PORAC members during their careers have the option of applying to become retired associate members of PORAC. This allows them to pay a small annual fee (over the regular membership fee) so they can receive LDF coverage.

This coverage was explained to me to mean that it not only pays your legal fees for any criminal or civil actions that may arise out of use of the LEOSA weapon, but it also covers retirees for legal costs to defend against some nimrod not understanding LEOSA and charging a visiting retiree who is actually legally armed and carrying a concelaed firearm. (Presuming, of course, the retiree IS actually currently qualified under LEOSA and is carrying the requisite documents.)

Okay, so 'nimrod' wasn't the language used in the coverage (nor meathead, knucklehead, etc), but you get the point. ;) )

OP, if you have that sort of option and opportunity, I'd think it's not bad idea to take advantage of it, as well.

16. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

I keep one CCW Pistol that is Marxist State Compliant to wit: Walther PPS M2 9mm for the rare occasions when I go into Occupied America. As I am not LEOSA, I wouldn’t even think of carrying any firearm into NY. or NY State. No slam against New Yorkers. It’s their prerogative to be serfs as long as they keep to themselves and don’t try to poison Free America.

17. Velvetfoot

Velvetfoot

No need to slam all NY'ers.

clancy, Intolerant and fastbolt like this.
  18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Granted, but lots of folks like to denigrate states like NY, CA, NJ, HI, MD, CT and others, looking at them as if the whole populations are some sort of yes/no, grey/white situation.

Then, of course, if their state suddenly does something which they find unwelcome (or embarrassing) ... it has nothing to do with them. ;)

19. CBennett

CBennett

I dont know yet if it will be printed on any card or not ..dont officially retire till tomorrow lol

byf43 likes this.
  20. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Good luck and ENJOY!!!!!!!

fastbolt likes this.