close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which semi auto pistol to get

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by rigger7, Feb 3, 2010.

1. rigger7

rigger7

i've been trying to make upmy mind as to what pistol
    to get,a Glock 19 or a Beretta 92 FS.
    I'm thinking the Beretta because that is what I'm issued but I'm really not sure.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. raven11

raven11

are you going to CCW?

3. HK Dan

HK Dan

For civillian defensive use, there isn't any comparison. You're talking about a gun made for defensive use and concealability versus a heavy horse pistol with a silly safety. (And I LIKE the Beretta).

For range/plinking use, the Beretta can be more accurate. I say "can" because the M9s aren't known for their accuracy, but the civillian M92s I have owned have been very good.

HK Dan

4. raven11

raven11

where did you "hear" this at? my M9 shot accurately enough for me to earn a marksmanship ribbon

5. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Yep, the Beretta is an excellent gun. Better than the Glock IMO. It is accurate and very well made. But, they are fairly bulky and if you do want to conceal them there are better choices on the market. As a combat/duty gun they are excellent.

6. rigger7

rigger7

didn't plan on CCW with the beretta

7. raven11

raven11

go with the Beretta , its a great shooter

i'm partial to a DA/SA trigger with a aluminum frame

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'm guessing that means you shot it in the USAF or USMC. Unfortunately, the military sets the bar even lower than the police, when it comes to marksmanship. You could shoot a perfect score every time on military qualifications and still not be at the level that is very competitive at a local weekend pistol match with civilians. I've never qualified below expert with the M9, on both police and Army ranges, but I'm still not a great shooter and it's still not a great 9mm.

In addition, the Glock 19 is just as accurate, but most people never learn to shoot a Glock like a Glock, so they never find out what it can do. The Beretta is very acccurate in single action slow fire mode, but the DA/SA trigger makes it terrible for fast shooting, such as defensive shooting.

In addition, the Beretta is more prone to failure, based on both my experience and the state department training team next door that has more trouble with their Berettas than their Glocks or even their S&W Sigmas.

9. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

I think snoopy has it right. If you want to CCW it really is going to steer u toward a g19.

You have to be willing to spend some time with the trigger change from the 92 with DA/SA to the 19 with Safe Action. No more de-cocking while moving and no more hammer to ride while reholstering. So with the 19 the holster choice is very important.

Either way though those are 2 of the top 10 maybe top 5 9mm of all time. Whichever one you choose will be a great choice on your part.

10. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

11. raven11

raven11

you caught me , USAF

one question ,why not the Army or Navy?

12. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

Just some thoughts on previous comments...

- there is NO difference (that I can tell) between the M9 I shot in the Army and the 92fs I have shot in LE and as a civilian.

- The 92fs/M9 is a GREAT gun. So is the g19. IMNSHO :)

13. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

This:supergrin:

But if you can't, either one would be a great gun... I love the 19 and I love the 92... If it was my choice, I would pick the 92fs. I've never owned one and have always wanted to.

14. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Yep, same gun.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The Army gives a badge, rather than a ribbon and the Navy rarely qualifies with the pistol.

One of the best shoooters on my FOB, with the Germany Army weapons, anyhow, is a USAF LTC/doctor. However, he's a shooter in civilian life (and the Germans set the bar MUCH higher than we do).

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So, if I understand you, your opinion that the 92FS is great and your advice to buy one is based mainly on the fact that you have never owned one.:upeyes:

17. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

Overall I like the Beretta more. Either one would be a good choice, though.

18. j-glock22

j-glock22

go for the 19...

19. curriek

curriek

I've owned both and think that the G19 is the best all around 9mm. Good capacity and you can conceal it pretty well. The 92FS is a great gun as well. The SA shots are quick and the recoil is light because of the weight of the gun. Pretty big and heavy, but since you aren't going to use it as a CCW, then it would be a good choice as well. As you can tell I like both, but I think if it came down to it I would rather have a G19. Probably b/c I am more familiar with that platform, but either way I don't think you can go wrong.

20. rjm

rjm

I have had more problems with a personally owned G19 than a personally owned Beretta 92fs.

I have tried and tried to like glocks, but just have never been able past their trigger and grip angle. If I was thinking about a polymer gun today around the price of a glock, I would look at the springfield XD or M&P, but that is just me.

I prefer metal guns, so I would try to steer you to towards the Beretta (or CZ).