Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making my list and checking it twice for how I plan to kit up the G19 Gen5 MOS I’m planning to set up next month. I’m going to go with the Trijicon Type 2 RMR as the SRO hasn’t been out long enough for me. What I’m struggling with is what MOA size dot to get. I keep coming back to the 3.25 for what I want to use it for. Anyone have pros or cons to this dot size on a G19?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
No input or experience other than I got one installed couple weeks ago. 3.25. Dot gets bigger as you make it brighter. Smaller as it gets dimmer. I’m picking it up pretty quickly with dry fire and ran through a class the other day with it and did pretty good with it, especially never being an optic guy (rifle or pistol)

768D3DF0-0A59-460B-B615-797A729A7F45.jpeg

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BB you answer another question I had rattling around in my head!

I’m used to running dots on carbines and subguns and have that one setting I always go to. A dot on a pistol is new to me and yes I think it’s silly as I can run irons perfectly fine, I figure I need a “play gun” and might as well kit one up to train on. Plus I can use it in “unlimited” for GSSF

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I had the hardest time finding the dot while under the clock with stock sights. Then I added the suppressor sights. World of difference.

FWIW, I’ve never had any real professional training with a red dot, so my method may not be the best.

Reactions: SARDG

·
Adirondacker with a Glock
2,819 Posts
I just put a Vortex Venom on my G34, and chose the smaller option (3 moa iirc) It is plenty. I thing 6 MOA would be too big for me.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Same question here.......have been researching red dots and settled on RMR......then the question is dot size.

I have experience with rifle red dot, but none at all with pistols. Most of what I have found online is recommendation for the 3.25.

Also, what BB said about using steel sights to find the dot has echoes true. Several articles I have come across mentioned that with early adoption of red dots on pistols, people were ditching their iron sights, but quickly realized that under stress, finding the dot was often difficult, a problem remedied by addition of suppressor height steel sights for cowitness.

After a good bit of research and reading I have settled on an RMR package and having my slide cut by L&M precision......can get it all done in one place including install of suppressor sights. But still question dot size to get so will be watching this thread closely before sending slide off.

I am also undecided as whether to go with trijicon steel sights , or simple black. Both are offered by L&M. Have to say......I like the sight picture BB posted, so am leaning towards the trijicon.

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
What is your age, and how long are you going to be having the same eyesight as today?
Are you shooting for fast combat style accuracy (center of mass) at short distance, or slow going for 1 in groups at 100 yards? Do you normally like tiny pistol target sights, or combat sights.

Remember that the RDS on a pistol is mounted farther away from your face than on a rifle.

I chose the 6.5 MOA for pistols. Have 1-4 on rifles.

·
Registered
687 Posts
GG,
ms gamboolgal and I went with the Trijicon RMR's with 6.5 dots on our EDC G-26's.
We have aging eyes and need trifocals so the bigger dot helps us.

ETA - We had and kept our XS Big Dots on our G-26's that we added the RMR's too.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My eyesight is not good as I get older. I went with a 45 mos with type 2 with 6.5 moa dot for home defense pistol. I can see the dot fine with without my glasses on. If I was young and eyesight was good I think I would choose the 3.25 but the 6.5 works well for me at this point in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sneet
16,173 Posts
I have the larger dot on my RMR. I'm not trying to be a sniper. Just want to get COM. Plus, my 60 year old eyes pick up the bigger dot, better. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Having a few Glocks set up with red dots, I thought the bigger dot was better, initially, and went with one of the dual illumination RMR's on my 19.4 MOS. It was the RM05G with the 9 moa green dot. I loved the color and the idea of not having to change batteries, but, as I got better with presentation and being able to focus on my target and the dot being there every single time, the size of the dot drove me crazy. Eventually I set up guns with a Shield RMS with a 4 moa dot and a Vortex Venom with a 3 moa dot. I am every bit as quick finding those dots as I was with my RMR and the 9 moa dot and I'm more accurate even shooting quickly in a steel challenge or IDPA type setting than I was with the 9 moa dot. I also found myself carrying the guns with the Shield and Venom on them and I quit carrying the one with the RMR, which is why I spent the money to set it up in the first place. I then sold the RM05G and bought the type 2 RMR (RM06) with the 3.25 moa red dot. It was exactly what I was looking for and now that is my favorite carry/duty gun.

My point is this, I see a lot of people automatically assuming the bigger dots are better because you'll be able to pick it up quicker and it gives you a larger spot on your target to hit. That was absolutely not true for me and, after carrying and using them for a few years, if you can pick up a larger dot, you can pick up a smaller dot. There is no difference. Picking up the dot (large or small) is all in focusing on the target and your presentation. You will be more accurate with the smaller dot. So, I'm a fan of 3-4 moa dots on handguns.
45 MOS 02.jpg
19 MOS 01.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
I run the RMR 6.5 MOA on my G19 and the Holosun 2 MOA on my G17. For me, it doesn't make a difference unless I’m trying some super tite shot playing around. (I wear prescription glasses while shooting RDS or the dots are a huge starburst)
The optic it’s self made more of a difference for me. Bad as I hate to say it, I prefer the Holosun.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still have 20/10 vision so I’m good there and I’m able to use my Ameriglo Hack sights for Combat point shooting plus shooting distance...all of this is good infor to digest and consider before dropping the coin on one

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
The vision thing is only part of it. I was having trouble keeping my front sight in focus and my scores were really falling off within the last few years. I now wear multifocal contacts that allow me to see my front sight pretty clearly and still see my target from a distance, so, I'm still good with iron sights. The biggest thing for me, especially being in law enforcement and carrying a defensive pistol everywhere I go either on duty or off, is being able to stay target focused. I am looking at the target the whole time instead of my focus going from target to front sight, target to front sight, target to front sight, etc. Again, a red dot isn't going to magically make someone an instant crack shot. In fact, if you have bad habits (trigger press, grip issues, etc) it will magnify those. You still have to do the fundamentals right or you'll never hit an intended target with anything.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts