close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Red-Dot?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by CCV, Aug 11, 2002.

1. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

I am considering the addition of a Red-Dot sight to my G17 or G34 to compete in the Unlimited-Master Category. Which Red-Dot seems to be the best for this competition? Where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Currently the favorite is the Tasco PDP5CMP. The Aimpoint and C-more both have followings. The Tasco may be hard to find right now with Tasco going through a change in ownership. You will definitely want a Carver mount no matter which of these scopes you choose. :)

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Tasco's PDP5CMP is by far the number one choice, and the only mount I would even consider is the new Carver Competition Mount. It will be on the market in about 2 weeks but it is worth the wait. I tested the prototype and it was good but the final product with the refinements from the prototype is the BEST mount you can find.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Aimpoint or Cmore with a 7moa dot. While many like the tascos, I cant stand em, too big, too heavy, too much stuff hanging off the tube that clutters your vision.

matt

5. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I chose the PDP5 a long time ago and it seemed to work for me. A few others followed.
    It is heavy which is what I like when I mount it as far forward as I can get it. It is a big field of view which helps when you are shooting the plates esp. It helps on those 2 second runs.
    As well as the different size dots for the different stages. I may not have used all 4 in a match but I did use at least 2.

This scope brought the bacon home a few times for me. ;)

Before the PDP5 I used a C-More. It is a fine scope. Very strong and sturdy. You are just stuck with 1 size dot, a problem I don't need to have when shooting GSSF and the PDP5.

6. DaleRhea

DaleRhea

I’ve used them all. The C-More does not break and as Matt said there is nothing to clutter your vision when moving from target to target (plates). Also the C-More sets very low on the gun. It’s my favorite.

Dale

7. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

What is the comparative costs of the C-more and the PDP5? And do the letters "CMP" at the end of the model indicate something special?

I certainly do like the appearance of the Optima 2000 but I understand it is fragile and doesn't stand up well. How about the Doktor sight that looks very much like the Optima?

Dan in NC

8. Custom Glock Racing

Optimas were $100-200
    Cmore about 300
    Aimpoint about 300
    PDP5 about 120
    OKO about 200
    Doctor 275

9. ammoboy2

ammoboy2 Millennium Member

I have a related Red Dot question. Does any one have experience with a Tasco Propoint PDP4 10. I got it used with 17L. Since I received no manual and Tasco is nonresponsive, could anyone tell me about this sight system? It seems to work well, just crank it to larger numerical settings for bright conditions. Left/Right and elevation adjustments are pretty much self explaintory. Is there any fundmental problem with the sight?

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Ammoboy,

LoveGlocks owns and uses a PDP4. E-mail him and he can tell you all about it. PDP5's are presently not available due to Tasco's bankruptcy. I have a PDP5CMP and it works, just as my Tasco PDP2 and PDP5SPL work. I have a C-More and it works. I had an Optima and it did not work well at all.

Glockmeister used to have the best prices on C-Mores. Check out www.glockmeister.com

11. ammoboy2

ammoboy2 Millennium Member

DannyR

Thanks for the info. I will contact LoveGlocks.

12. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Update - TASBKRD30 Tasco 5moa on closeout ... don't buy... they are junk!

13. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Danny, Dillon has C-More Railway (8moa) for $209 plus shipping... don't know how good compared to Glockmeister but $209 is good price!

www.dillonprecision.com

14. sportshooter

sportshooter .com or .info Millennium Member

I just bought a new tube at what seems like a great price: the Leupold-Gilmore LG-35. 8 MOA dot, very sturdy tube. It seems that L-G has just discontinued this particular model -- I picked it up at CDNN Investments (www.cdnninvestments.com) for $149. It supposedly retailed for somewhere around $275.

15. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Just got my Tasco BKRD30... the finish is not the highest quality... dot is clear and optical coating is clear... but it's no PDP6... only advantage of this one is that it's a 5moa dot. The PDP6 (10moa) for $80 at CDNN is a much better scope. The fixed screw was angled low ... I had to bend it a little;P

Regards,
    Frank

16. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Update - Don't buy the Tasco 5moa (model BKRD30) red dots... save yourself some frustration...

The Nowling/Shuey Omni Site INTRIGUES me(!) but no one seems to have experience with it and it's not prevalent in competition (yet). This red dot is head-up display like the C-More but comes with four dot sizes like the PDP5! Aluminum body, 33mm lens, switch adj. for 1moa, 4moa, 6moa, and 10moa.

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about this red dot? It's plenty expensive though... retail is over $300

17. Hello all I am currently trying a BSA Shadow 50mm. I think it will work great for steel plates only I am worried about it for accuracy needed for the GSSF match. I would like some help picking up a new type also. Has any one tryed the Nickon multi-dot?

18. Custom Glock Racing

THe nowlin/shuey thing is HUGE. Depending on the mount you could easily have a 2+ inch dot to bore distance.

19. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Thanks Custom Glock Racing!

I really appreciate the feedback... I guess the 'old rule' always holds... if the GM's aren't using a particular piece of equipment... it's probably been reviewed and dismissed...

Regards,
    Frank

20. Ooooppppsss! Yep I am using a Carver weaver style mount for the BSA red dot. It's like having a pony Keg on top.
    :) ;f