Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some creative input here. I have decided to go for a heavier caliber for defense and it is either the 23 Gen4 or the 30 Gen4. What are your thoughts? Thanks

· Registered
3,942 Posts
I'd love to help, but I like both. Realistically though, I'd go with the 30. Larger caliber, softer shooter, very accurate.

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
I'm rocking with a Glock 30 gen 3. After I sold all my Sig Sauer P220 pistols, I bought my one and only (up to this point) .45acp pistol, the Glock 30. It is accurate and so comfortable to shoot. I love 9mm but the .45acp caliber has a place in my range bag.

Reactions: Nubs0311

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input. To answer your question, either one. I try to go to the range at every two weeks, if not more, and dry fire as much as possible. The 23 is because I have a holster for the 19/23 and the .40 recoil is still controllable for me. However, I do love the .45 and have been yearning for some G30 variant. I'll probably go with the 30 Gen4. Thanks, again.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
Of the two the G30.

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Ignore the caliber snobbery. :tongueout: The big difference between the G23 and G30 is the grip. Besides the obvious difference (size), the "hump" is located in a different location on each gun. The G30 has the "sub compact" profile, even though with the commonly found factory extended 10 round magazine, the overall size compares with the G23. The "hump" on the G23 is lower in the frame in the more traditional "compact" profile. So..., this means both will feel quite a bit different in the hand. Therefore, I'd pick the one that feels and points best for you.

· Banned
12,952 Posts
Thanks for the input. To answer your question, either one. I try to go to the range at every two weeks, if not more, and dry fire as much as possible. The 23 is because I have a holster for the 19/23 and the .40 recoil is still controllable for me. However, I do love the .45 and have been yearning for some G30 variant. I'll probably go with the 30 Gen4. Thanks, again.
The 30 is built tough. Putting a Wolff non captive 19 pound recoil spring set in it will allow you to shoot 45 Super if that interests you.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,031 Posts
Ignore the caliber snobbery. :tongueout: The big difference between the G23 and G30 is the grip. Besides the obvious difference (size), the "hump" is located in a different location on each gun. The G30 has the "sub compact" profile, even though with the commonly found factory extended 10 round magazine, the overall size compares with the G23. The "hump" on the G23 is lower in the frame in the more traditional "compact" profile. So..., this means both will feel quite a bit different in the hand. Therefore, I'd pick the one that feels and points best for you.
So far the best answer for a better result, considering you will spend time with the piece, if its for carry consider all the options of platforms vs ease of carry for now and later years.

· M62/76
14,816 Posts
23 for me. Carried one for years (have carried a 19 for the past 4). When you look at the modern SD ammo being offered there really isn't a lot of difference between what caliber you choose between 9, 40, 45 etc etc so I wouldn't get hung up on that too much.

To me, the 30 feels like a brick, which is t to say that the 23 is small but to me it doesn't feel as bulky as the 30.

Reactions: Nubs0311
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.