close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which one of these flashlights?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HOTHEAD, Dec 30, 2009.

1. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

You seem to be just getting into higher-end flashlights. Get over the "either/or" mentality because you're going to be at "and" very soon anyway :supergrin:

3. NashvilleGlock

NashvilleGlock EMT-Paramedic CLM

I just got a Streamlight Strion C4LED for Christmas and I'll tell you what, I love it. Run time is awesome, rechargeable so no more battery bs and it's the brightest flashlight I've ever owned.

I've had so many <50.00 flashlights and finally sprung for something a little higher end, glad I did.. Get something you have a charger for and not something you don't wanna use because the batteries might wear down.

4. The Hawk

The Hawk

I agree with HerrGlock. You can not have too many flashlights.
    I have realized how nice it is to have a few quality flashlights.
    Keep the G2 (modify it if you want to), get the Fenix and never look back.
    Last month the wife and I were at Cracker Barrel having dinner and the electric went out. It was just an employee pulling the wrong switch but it sure was comforting knowing that I had a couple flashlights (one in pant pocket, one in jacket) I could depend on.

5. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

Just ordered the PD30, and in reading NashvilleGlock's post I am now researching rechargeable lights. The wife is not going to be happy about this:embarassed:

6. Spence

Spence

Im just getting into the REAL light realm myself. 235 seems like a ton of lumens. Get what you really want and give the other to your wife. Im am also looking at those Strions and Stingers.

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I-a-tolla you so :tongueout:

8. BEER

BEER bad example

i don't know about the g2led but i know the original g2 was plenty bright enough for anything a person needs to do. are you looking to upgrade for a practical reason or are you just wanting the aftermarket head because that's what everybody else is doing? have you actually played around with the stock g2led yet?

i honestly don't understand this insane craze everybody has for taking already bright flashlights and trying to turn them into pocket tanning booths. i'm starting to think most flashlight addicts are partime lighthouse workers or something. lol

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

A lot of times for me it's to get the longer run time. Stock battery life of 1 hour or 30 minutes and the upgrade will run 2.5 or 3 hours on a battery. That it's also roughly a bazillion lumens is just a side note.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

11. lwt210

lwt210

I have several Surefires and several Fenix lights.

The PD30 by Fenix is what I am currently carrying at work (LE). I have the PD30+ and it is a good light. I have dropped it a couple of times and it didn't phase it.

Very bright with a good, tight hotspot. I was considering getting a Malkoff drop in module for my Surefire 6P but decided that the lower output settings and the strobe mode of the PD30+ made more sense for me.

I only use the strobe directing traffic with a wand and buddy that thing gets attention. Much more so than the Streamlight SL20 or the SUrefire Commander I used to use on the job.

All my Fenix lights have been solid performers. More and more of my coworkers are going to them. Several on our SWAT team are into the Fenix line now and are pleased with the performance they are getting.

12. kcevans

kcevans

I've had a Surefire E2E for years, I just recently replaced it with an Elzetta light that is great. The brightness and quaility are on par with any other light on the market.

13. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  14. Retseh

Retseh

Also wondered the same thing - never paid more than $10 for a flashlight and they all served their desired purpose just fine.

As for needing longer battery life, just buy some extra batteries :supergrin:

15. B&J Armory

B&J Armory Glock Genius.

I got a Pelican 7060 a few months back and I love it! Brighter than shhh!

16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I got a 3500 lumen HID spotlight from samsclub auctions for $35 last year. It is hand's down the brightest flashlight I own :cool:

17. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

They make HID flashlights!!!...Damn you man
    My car and the plow set up on my truck are both HID, if I can get that out of a flashlight Im sold.

18. lwt210

lwt210

I'll attempt to shed some light on why I have laid out more than ten dollars for flashlights.

I have used high end high lumen flashlights to

1. Keep from getting ran over by drivers on cell phones, applying makeup, texting, etc.

2. Illuminate rooms containing armed, dangerous subjects that have no bones about taking on a cop.

3. Find lost elderly Alzheimer patients at night in the woods when it is 20 degrees.

4. Clear countless buildings after break ins.

5. Swim thorugh flooded streets to get to open heart surgery patients who's homes were flooding. No power makes a neighborhood particularly black. It's nice to reach for the light that has been submerged for several minutes and seeing it fire right up.

6. Locate foot pursuit suspects in back yards.

....and the list goes on and on. A ten dollar plastic Walmart special just isn't going to offer the same performance.

Way back in the mid 90s when I was in the PD academy, we had night time firing qualifications and were to use our issued Maglight D cell flashlights. One cadet had already bought himself a Magcharger. They turned off the lights and the targets turned towards us and the "FIRE" command was issued.

We turned on our lights and could barely see 25 yards in front of us. The Magcharger cadet turned his on and the difference was impressive to say the least. Right then and there I decided to never be without a good light.

I can take my Fenix PD30+, which is about the size of a magic marker, and light up entire rooms, backyards, cars.....whatever. Sixty bucks worth of sunshine that pays for itself over and over again.

You really haven't lived until you have confronted an armed subject that won't follow verbal commands. And the advantage of taking away his/her eyesight for a brief second is priceless.

Hope this helps to enlighten.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

2500 lumens

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-HID0109-HID-Spotlight/dp/B001U04MEY
    Product Features

* Features 12 Volt 3Ah SLA rechargeable battery and a 35 Watt high intensity discharge bulb
    * Consists of 3 LED¿s at the top for area light, a metal roll bar for durability and a 2-way dimmer for extended runtime
    * Includes CEC AC charger (UL Listed), polycarbonate unbreakable lens
    * Offers 35 minutes constant runtime at full power
    * Features a carry lanyard

Price: $69.99

20. Triji

Triji

The Fenix TK11 is a friggn great light as well!!