Which oil do I need to buy?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by BikerGoddess, Sep 8, 2004.

1. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

I've finally used up all the cooking/vegetable oil in my place and need to buy some more. With all the saturated fat and heating temp things, I'm totally confused as to which one will work best for me.

Most of the time, I'll be baking with it, but I will have some 'cold' usage occasionally.

Looking for the 'healthiest' one, excluding olive oil, which has too strong a taste for me for most applications.

Thanks,
    Laura

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

I use LIGHT olive oil for all my cooking. No taste as you put it.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Canola oil is what you are looking for.

Note: as soon as you open the bottle and air hits the oil it starts to go rancid!

Olive oil has the least amount of what causes this.

You can open 5-10 caps of vitamin E and squeeze them in the bottle and shake. (size of capsule and bottle)

This seems to stop oil from going rancid.

Rancid oil has one highest amounts of free radicals (not good for you).

4. General Sherman

General Sherman

Here is what I found.

Olive Oil: Virgin is most flavorful and is what I use for making dressings and where the olive flavor is desired. Light is less flavorful and cheaper.

Peanut Oil: Best for high heat applications like wok frying and for frying in general. It has the distinctive flavor of the peanut.

Corn Oil: Used in Southwest and Mexican style cooking. Good all round oil. I use it to grease pans for baking. The smell of it cooking reminds me of the streets of Central America where it is used extensively.

Canola Oil: Made from rapeseed whatever that is. Useless to me. Seems to be too healthful to taste good. Good for catching the kitchen on fire due to low flashpoint.

"Vegetable" Oil: Useless. What is it anyway? At least it is not lard.

Lard: Best for clogging the arteries and giving flavor to baked goods and French fries. Seeing the amount used in cooking french fries at a local (pill hill) hospital cafeteria, I figure they must get a supplement from the cardiac physicians group there. You cannot believe the cartons and cartons of frozen french fries I saw delivered to the hospital cafeteria when I worked as a volunteer there.

5. noway

noway

oils I use in vary degrees

seasme oil

walnut oil

peanut oil

spanish olive oil

I mainly use olive and seasme seed oil 90% of the time.

6. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

Grapeseed oil is another alternative. I use it in any application where I do not want any oil's flavor/greasy taste - which is quite often. Grapeseed oil is good for the health conscious, has basically no flavor, has a high flashpoint, and is about six bucks per quart.

7. Dandapani

Dandapani

I can't stand using canola. Everytime I try and use it, it reminds me of FISH! Yuck. Extra light olive oil is a do all oil IMNSHO.

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Toasted sesame oil is really good drizzled on salad :)

For cooking, I use olive oil.

When deep-frying a turkey or chicken, we use peanut oil.

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Extra virgin olive oil for dressing and bread dip, pure/light olive oil for cooking. After experimenting for some years I gave up on the others.

10. nickg

nickg

i pretty much use extra virgin olive oil for most of my cooking. but i do use vegetable or canola oil if i don't want that particular flavor that EVOO gives.

i've never tried grapeseed oil though i'm always tempted to buy it at the store. supposedly it's very light in taste and doesn't mask any other flavors of what you are cookin' up.

11. BikerGoddess

Went with grapeseed and light olive oil. Haven't made anything, so I have no clue how they'll work out...

I don't think I'd ever heard of grapeseed. It was in the 'organic' section, rather than with the other oils.

Laura

12. Remander

Remander

I buy a big jug of Bertolli extra virgin olive oil at Sam's (mucho cheap per ounce compared to grocery store prices) and use it to fill a clear glass bottle with a pourer spout (couple of bucks at a kitchen store).

That stays by the stove, looks good, and is convenient/clean for a quick pour into a skillet for saute' or to mix in salad dressing, etc.

For baking, where I don't want the heavy flavor of olive oil, I tend to use Canola.

General Sherman makes some good points.

13. USPMAN

USPMAN

Safflower oil is what you are looking for. Avacado oil is nice, but hard to find. Pistaccio oil is, well, I don't know, it's too expensive.

14. Guest

Try dicing chicken breasts into 1/2 to 1/4 inch cubes, then stir frying them at low temp in sesame oil, then the last two or three minutes crank up the heat as hot as it'll go. Add your preferred spices and seasonings just before you crank up the heat.

Add to Rotini pasta and alfredo sauce.

15. BikerGoddess

I've heard that safflower oil actually breaks down into hazardous molecules when heated. I probably should have picked up on the fact that it's not good for cooking when it indicates it should be kept in the refrigerator.

Now, I just need to find someone to cook something for me with the stuff I did get...

Laura

16. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

99% of the time I use EVOO, I use for frying my chicken cutlets, sausage etc. Sometimes when I deep fry french fries I may use olive oil, but usually use Canola or peanut oil. I used peanut oil for deep frying my turkey and that was good. But my first choice and probably always will be olive oil, I enjoy the flavor and have had no complaints from guest.

17. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Only two oils exist in my house--olive oil and canola oil.

Canola is probably going to be your best alternative in terms of low saturated fat.

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I guess 10W-30 is a no-no. :)

19. BikerGoddess

I have some extra HD oil downstairs...and that stuff that warms when you blow on it, but somehow I don't think I'll be using them in the kitchen...at least for cooking...

Laura

20. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Not used in my kitchen ;)