close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which of you open carry activists pulled this?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by frank4570, Jan 29, 2013.

1. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Timing very bad to do something like this right now. He's lucky someone with a concealed weapon didn't draw on him in store.

2. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

A case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

It's VA, people who carry are used to open carry. It's a non issue except to chicken little types.

4. ustate

ustate NRA Member

A guy near me open carried an AR into a JCPenny a couple weeks ago. It wasn't loaded and I guess nobody freaked out or called the police. Some girl in line behind him took a few pictures with her phone and those went viral. It was from those pics that the police first heard it even happened.

5. N4LP

N4LP

Kroger did the exact right thing. They're goal is to make money, not to protect your right to open carry an AR-15 in their store.

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

No. Kroger, or in this case a manager at Kroger, made a business decision. Whether or not it was "the exact right thing" remains to be seen.

It would be interesting to see the income for that store for the last two months and the next two months and compare them to last year's.

7. ray9898

ray9898

Complete idiot and I support Kroger 100%. You cause trouble on my property because of your lack of common sense and you will not be allowed to return.

I am sure he made a few friends for us gun owners with his antics.

8. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Well, I would have asked the nearest cashier if that guy just got fired from here.

9. Reswob

Reswob

I am so ****ing sick and tired of people *****ing about OC in CA. Unloaded OC is THE ONLY WAY most CA residents can legally carry a firearms.

Situation 1) they didn't OC, they couldn't carry any guns.
    Situation 2) they OC'd, some sheep *****ed about it, and now they can't carry guns.

At least in Situation 1 they could protect themselves for a little while.

10. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Having the right to do something, and having the common sense and self control to NOT do something are two attributes one should have.

The guy was an idiot.

ML

11. PAGunner

PAGunner

This one is in the, just cause it is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea category and I can see the legislature considering taking action against OCing after a situation like that. Very poor form.

12. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Situation 3 - They find some way to establish residency in a CA county that WILL issue a permit.

Situation 4 (and I don't know, or care, if this works) - they find a way to get a non resident permit that CA honors.

And, as others have mentioned, calling people who choose not to carry a gun "sheep" is a GREAT way to get them on your side. :upeyes:

13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

14. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

True, I have been in the City Of Brotherly Doom for too long:crying:

15. racerford

racerford

Does Mexico count, or only if Canada does it?

There have already been para-military incursions from NGEs from Mexico.

That sounds like Israel. So far no suicide bombers, but plenty of murders and kidknappings. Plenty of death being imported across that border, it is just a bit slower and less direct than suicide bombers.

edit to stay on topic: This was not a good idea to open carry an AR15 into the Kroger. I don't think concealed carry would have been much better.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  16. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Well, since none of y'all have any local knowledge of the event, let me fill in the gaping holes, squash the rumors, explain Kroger's official stance.

This had nothing to do with handgun open carry activism, per se. I'll get to that later.

This Kroger is not frequented that often by UVA students. It is more of a blue collar store, generally speaking. If his intent was to scare students, the Barracks Road Kroger store a couple miles away is closer to campus. More students shop there. The more affluent in C'Ville shop there, too.

He approached the store first without the rifle. It is reported he went to see if the store had signs prohibiting firearms. Obviously he was not familiar with either the store or Kroger policy.

Not finding a prohibitive sign he returned to his car, took out the rifle and walked back to and into the store. Witnesses reported they saw him walking around the entrance. No one reported he took a cart inside, starting shopping. He just wandered around the front.

People called 911, Charlottesville PD responded. They detained the man until they confirmed he was not a prohibited person, that he owned the rifle legally (no idea how) and that he was not carrying the rifle concealed.

No where in any news report did it mention he had a handgun also.

This next part gave me a bit of a chill.

A note found in the man's pocket spelled out his intent to express his 2nd Amendment rights. Why did he have a note in his pocket explaining his actions? My first thought was he was prepared for suicide by cop, but lot his nerve.

ETA - A VCDL member suggested he wanted to establish premeditation.

Police did not arrest him, so his name is unknown as is the exact wording on the note.

I have shopped at that store. I've OCed there. I've talked to management about product selection while shopping. I've talked to UVA faculty shopping there. I've never had a problem.

I do not know what CPD is doing about following this guy.

There are several things wrong with what he did, where he did it and how.

And then there's the note...

Now, The Fed, this is for you.
    http://www.nbc29.com/story/20755619/kroger-gun-stunt-sparks-2nd-amendment-debate

17. frank4570

frank4570

I am in Charlottesville right now. Walking in to a grocery store with a rifle will definitely freak people out and get the police called.walking in to a gas station with a Glock, nobody will notice.

18. WarCry

WarCry

Because of the public outcry over the open-carry 'gatherings' (i.e. demonstrations), that's no longer an option.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

That wasn't what I was responding to. Other poster said the guy was lucky no one drew on him. For people carrying, it tends to be a non issue until an aggressive move is made.

Was not talking about the chicken littles who called 911 in that part of it.

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

Hmmm This is interesting. We have someone who is familiar with the very store and carried openly there before, apparently without issue. I wonder why some people do not seem to have issues and others do. I would like to read some ideas as to why.