Which Netbook?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Apr 15, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've had my 2nd netbook for about two years and compared to my Asus (or was it Acer??) this Eee PC is great!! It's just now conking out. The battery is shot and also whenever I move it, it shuts down.

Anyway, I like inexpensive. I don't need the best and highest tech...although I do see something called a "chromebook" now and they look interesting.

But what deals are out there now for netbooks?

I see my Eee PC is currently only $270 at Wal-Mart...maybe I'll just get another one of these.

Tigerdirect/Newegg had them in the $300 range.

What else is there?

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

The Asus ones are the easiest to upgrade the memory. Many others requires taking everything apart. I look for the ones with an Atheros wifi card and not a Broadcom wifi card. Broadcom does now have open source drivers but I'm not sure how well they work. My first netbook was an MSI. I added memory and changed the wifi card to an Intel one. The Asus has the best keyboard and mouse pad. The Acer / Gateway ones always end up having wrong keys hit and there is even software available to prevent it. They are also much more difficult to add memory.

Toshiba makes some decent netbooks. Their keyboards are well designed. The cases seem high quality. Acer / Gateway seem on the cheap end of things but they might make some high end ones.

The others might include HP and Dell. MSI has gone to AMD processors in their netbooks. It's hard to go wrong with an Asus Eee netbook.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

3. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

I thought net books were dead. Can't find them at Walmart or OfficeMax here.

4. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

They are making some dual core ones with upgraded video now. Best Buy has plenty of the new ones and I think Staples has some. Sony makes some high end ones.

5. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

6. Reswob

Reswob

You consider a computer that only lasts 2 years "great" and are considering another one?!

7. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Macbook air is demolishing the market. Spend more---less often and enjoy the ride. They just smoke everything else.

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yes.

Only computer I had that lasted longer was my toshiba satellite. Other than that they all last around 2 years before the battery is dead, the electrical/power system starts breaking, the keys pop off, etc. Some of it is from abuse. Other stuff is not. I actually USE my computers. I don't set them on a table and just open and close them. I throw them in my bag/car and take them on the road. Plus I'm always online researching, shopping, or doing work.

I'd rather pay $200 every few years than pay a few grand for a toughbook or something similar.

Any other ideas in the $200-$300 price range?

Thanks

-Emt1581

9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Not sure why I checked....I KNEW whatever was "demolishing the market" had to go for around $1K...plus it had the name MAC attached to it. Only other things that would have been a dead giveaway would have been having an "i" starting it off...

Kinda like whatever has Mc attached to it is cheap...

-Emt1581

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

11. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I haven't researched netbooks in a while, but I seem to recall the Lenovo netbook specs being a good bang for your buck.

Maybe check out techbargains.com as well.

As for the Sylvania netbook...not a fan of the monitor, but might be able to stick Linux on it to make it less crappy.

12. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

CE was designed for palm pilot type devices, not for a laptop.

If you're going to spend $270 for a netbook why not spend $280 for an actual notebook? I'd maybe look at getting an extended warranty for it as well.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0386509

My wife's netbook is dying and we're trying to decide whether to go with a new laptop or a Kindle Fire. She thinks she can do everything she wants with the Kindle but I may end up getting her the laptop anyway.

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I know I might be in the minority here but I actually prefer a netbook. It's not a cost issue at all. The netbook is lighter, smaller, decent screen and you get used to the keyboard really quickly....at least I did.

One of the main reason I really like netbooks is the weight distribution. Because they are so small and light I can count the time on one hand that I've dropped mine on the floor because I adjusted my legs, got up too fast, etc...and the thing tipped and fell.

Anyway....yeah....I like netbooks.

Thanks

-Emt1581

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

If all of the above is true, G29 hit the nail on the head: 11" Macbook Air. Its a smokin little machine with SSD, great display, backlit keyboard, multitouch trackpad...oh yeah, same size keyboard as the full macbook pro.

Best user experience I've ever had with a cumputah. And once you go multitouch/gestures, everything else seems to blow.

Spend $1000, it'll smoke everything else you're looking at and you won't be buying a new one in 2 years.....in fact, you might still be using it in 6 years or more.

Posting from it now. I have a 2011 15" Macbook Pro that just sits idle now. This has become my primary machine.

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I watch videos, listen to music (through videos), and surf the net....what will a $1000 netbook do that a $200-$300 one will not?

Realize you are talking to someone that has never owned an i(anything).... hell I only gave an MP3 player a try for a few months... it's been in my night stand ever since. Plus I have the free flip phone that Verizon gives away...no smartphone or anything fancy.

-Emt1581