Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sheriffs a near
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting one of those mini-laptops like the Asus EEEMC or Acer Aspire One. And I think Dell has one out now.

Anyone have one of these or able to recommend which to get?

And I may do a lot of windows stuff on it so I'm hesitant to get Linux with it (although would be neat if I could install it later I guess).

Also, I think I read you can get an 80GB HD as opposed to one of the 4GB solid state drives. Part of me is leaning toward the regular HD cause I'm afraid of the repeated writes on the SSD not to mention I might want more than a 4GB HD, but then again who knows since regular HD's can have their own issues.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have an eeePC 4g, and I do like it. I use it as a "satellite" laptop while my big laptop stays deployed in my room. It's great for quick document typing, IM chatting and web browsing. The biggest downside of the original 4g is the screen size. 800x480 is a cramped resolution for web browsing. If you get an eee, get the one with the 9-inch screen.

Don't worry about the whole "SSD vs HDD" read write thing. The solid states will last you longer than the laptop will, unless you try to use your subnotebook as an enterprise mail server. Plus, solid state drives are close to shock-proof. Shock-proof is good for a light, tiny lappy that will see lots of travel.

These are the three models I like the most:

HP 2133 mini-note: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-2133-mini-note.aspx
-more expensive for a subbie, but you can customize it a LOT; great screen and keyboard but weaker VIA processor and weird mouse buttons.

eeePC 901:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-eee-pc-901.aspx?page=1
-Improved eeePC with 9" screen and new Intel Atom processor, good battery life. 12 Gb solid state storage for XP version. Keyboard is still cramped though.

MSI Wind:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/msi-wind.aspx?page=1
-I like the looks of this one. 10" screen, big keyboard, newer Intel processor, good battery, and rumored to be cheaper than the eee 901. The more I read about this one, the more I wants it.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I went a different route, picked up an off-lease Dell Latitude X1, XPPro, 1.2gb ram, with external dvd/cdrw. Has 12.1" widescreen, 80gb HD, bluetooth, wireless b/g.

Have to keep an eye on the Dell off lease site, though, these aren't there that often. On fleabay some are going for buy now $799, auctions around $500. But if you can catch one through dell they are cheaper, and factory refurbished. I paid $430.

They more often have some X300's, pretty similar except display isn't widescreen format.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
The MSI Wind looks interesting and the price point per features looks better than the ASUS EEEPC 901.

However, I don't think the Wind has a solid-state hard drive.

·
Sheriffs a near
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
d3athp3nguin: Did you get one with Linux? How is it? Easy to pick up? The more I think about it the only thing I might need windows related is Remote Desktop and I found a thing online so Linux users can use it.

Plus, the less space used by the OS will be nice.

lovette: Hmm, interesting. Will check it out.

·
Registered
27,983 Posts
d3athp3nguin: Did you get one with Linux? How is it? Easy to pick up? The more I think about it the only thing I might need windows related is Remote Desktop and I found a thing online so Linux users can use it.

Plus, the less space used by the OS will be nice.

lovette: Hmm, interesting. Will check it out.
It all depends on what version of Linux they put on them. A lot of them use Xandros, which I'm not particularly fond of, but its not that hard to use. Some use gOS, which is more or less Ubuntu w/ the enlightenment GUI. But you could put whatever you want on it.

·
Crusty Member
10,814 Posts
The MSI Wind looks interesting and the price point per features looks better than the ASUS EEEPC 901.

However, I don't think the Wind has a solid-state hard drive.
According to newegg, the wind has an 80GB hard drive. That's a lot more space than the EeePC gives you, but it's a spinning disk that will crash one day.

As a super-portable internet terminal, I like the Eee. I'd like it better if I could touch type on it without constantly hitting the wrong keys. i.e. keyboard is just a bit too cramped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts