close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which media to use?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jaker, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Jaker

Jaker

I cant find any info on the different types of media for different results or applications. Im just starting to learn the reloading process. any help would be great.

2. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I use this stuff.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I use ground corn cob, and am more than happy with the results. Some use walnut, some use kitty litter.... etc. Many add "nu finish" (a car polishing product) into the media for better shine. I've still got some "brass polish" I bought when I got my media that works fine, but when I run out of that will try the nu finish.

Unlike many of the OTHER aspects of reloading... the cost of media is pretty cheap to experiment with. By one and see how you like it. Buy something different the next time if you don't.

4. Jon_R

Jon_R

I have one bowl for crushed walnut and one bowl for corn cob media. I get them from Petsmart by the big old bag. It is cheap, no shipping, and allows me to swap frequently. I use Dillon polish right now but might change to something else when I need more.

In general I use Walnut for Rifle and Corn Cob for pistol. The size of my Petsmart corncob can hang up in the bottle neck rifle cartridges (.223) so I use Walnut.

I run it about 3 hours in the tumbler per batch. Gets it clean enough for me. Could run it longer and get it like new but it is not that important to me.

5. BK63

BK63

Walnut from Petsmart. I found that the Walnut does not have all the dust that corn cob does. When I used corn cob I had to find different methods to wipe all the cases off after tumbling. With the walnut I take them out of the tumbler and I'm done.

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I used to use the petmart walnut but now use 14-20 grit corn cob media from Grainger Supply. I receive a business discount from my place of employment and it comes out to less than $25 out the door for a 40 lb bag!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2MVR4?Pid=search

I just order it over the phone and pay with a credit card. When it arrives, waited 2 days, I go pick it up. Picking it "will call" applies for the free shipping.

7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I use regular corn cob media and a little (very little) Nu-Finish car polish to clean my brass, works well.

8. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Walnut media with some (very small amount) of mineral spirits to clean the brass. The walnut will clean the brass but leave it with a dull appearance.

After cleaning, tumble again using corncob media with a small amount of polish. They will come out shininy and looking brand new...make sure you use a polish that is free of ammonia (brasso is no good)...it will cause your brass to get brittle.

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Do you not use a media separator? I put my cleaned cases in there and rotate for a few minutes... i just don't see any dust on mine. I don't use dryer sheets either.

I've heard this said about corn cob from multiple people, but it's not an issue for me.

10. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

How many times do you guys re-use your media?

11. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

A load of media won't suddenly stop working, it just starts working slower and slower. You can increase effective life by using a polish/treatment like the citrus-y stuff that Midway, Dillon etc sell, and by tearing up a paper tower into each batch of brass. Using this method I can get about 20 uses from a tumbler-full of media before it gets nasty looking and I toss it. (corn cob, btw)

BTW that Lyman stuff doesn't work for crap compared with even untreated corn cob.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I loaded something like 10,000 rounds before changing mine, and that might have even been unnecessary as my results were still decent. My tumbler says it holds 1000 9mm, but I probably tumbled 20-30 times?

Don't worry about counting how many times you use it... see how long it takes the FIRST time to get them shiny, and when it starts taking much longer (or not working at all)... then switch.

13. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

I use 50/50 mix of corncob and walnut 12/20 grit with nu-finish and a dryer sheet cut up. Works great. Add a capful of mineral spirits every 5-6 uses to rejuvenate.

14. JWS755

JWS755

Im using walnut that I get at petsmart too, and the Franklin Brass polish from midway. I can get about 10-15 loads, depending on how dingy the brass was to start.. When the media gets really dusty and makes me sneeze, thats when I toss it.. You will see it doesnt polish too well by then.

15. dudel

dudel

Some will recommend the Walmart Lizzard bedding. I won't.

Always looking for ways to save a buck or two, I bought a bag of Lizard bedding (ground up corn cob) at Walmart yesterday. Used it with some new (to me) 45ACP small primer cases. The dust was down; but the primer pockets had media stuck in them. The stuff is too coarse to do a good job. I threw in a .223 case for grins. The media filled the case and it to 5 minutes to pick media out of the case. I won't be too surprised if if jams up in 9mm cases.

The finer media indended for reloading, works best IMHO. It costs a little bit more; but well worth it. The shine I get from FA media (usually on sale at Midway), is much, much better than the lizard bedding. It's fine enough that it will clean the primer pockets (if you deprime first) and does a reasonable job on the inside of the case. While it fills 223 cases, it pours right out.

I've got a bag of lizard bedding to toss out. Lesson learned.

Don

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  16. BK63

BK63

The corn cob stuff I used was Lyman. The casings are covered in dust that just sticks to them. The Walnut doesn't seem to have any dust.

17. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

I buy from Grainger. Can't beat the price and it is the right grit size. Your local sand blasting shop can probably sell you some walnut and corncob if you aren't near a graingers. Feed stores usually carry corncob too but the grit may be too large. I do not use the pet store or walmart corn cob due to the large grit size but their walnut is okay. I mix Nu-Finish and Mineral Spirits 50/50.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  18. n2extrm

n2extrm

+1 I add a little of the Lyman reguvinator wvwr once in a while. I have only changed it a few times over the last 5 years. I bought a plug in wall timmer set it for a 2-3 hour run and let it do it's thing.

19. 21 shooter

21 shooter

I use walnut for anything really grungy, then switch over to corncob. If it is average condition brass I just use the corncob media. I prefer the 12/20 or 14/20 grade media. Over the years I have found that this works great. I have used various kinds of polishes over the years to make the brass shine, including some car cleaner/wax that I had and was not going use on a vehicle. It produced an excellent shine and slick cases.

20. YogiBearFan

YogiBearFan

Jon_R said it best...

Swing by PetSmart for media. LizardLitter brand is what I use. I also use Flitz polish in with my media. Stuff comes out looking like pieces of gold, but, I tend to just let stuff tumble over night and seperate in the morning.