close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Linux to learn on

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RWBlue, Feb 23, 2005.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

By the looks of the I love Linux thread, it looks like we have a few Guru’s here.

I hope this doesn’t cause a fight. Then again I might learn something if the different people bash each others linux choice.

I am not a Linux virgin, but I am also not a linux guru. I need to learn and/or relearn Linux. I have tried Mandrake (a long time ago), Redhat 9 and SUSE 9.

The primary platform, I will be using it mostly for technical work related items (sniffing, probing, hacking), with a little light office paperwork (text documents, publishing pretty documents, surfing the web and doing email).

I will probably end up with several secondary platforms running snort, maybe running a honeypot or performing forensics.

I will have access to a variety of hardware, some of it is very old, some very new and my primary play location will be a VMware virtual manchine.

Thanks

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

i'd recommend slackware based on these two statements.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

4. modgun

modgun CLM

Im curious about this same question also.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Since you've tried these three fine platforms and are still looking, what have you found lacking with them?

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I personally prefer Debian, and the Knoppix LiveCD is a very nice way to get it.

I have used most every distro out there, and though Slack is good and SuSE can be nice, I always come back to Unstable Sid and Sarge.

Good luck, and Have FUN!!

7. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

It was a couple years ago and the most important aspect to learning Linux was not active. ME, I was not active in learning Linux. Other items became more important and I slacked off.

In addition I think I operating system fall short in different areas.

This is what I have been told by friends and gleaned on my own. Correct me if I am wrong.
    1.Windows, very user friendly, not secure out of the box, even after care still vulnerable to viruses and spyware, lots of buy ware software, not a lot of freeware.

2.Redhat = Redmond hat = not really freeware anymore, if you want update service you need to pay. Probably the most popular Linux in a business environment. In addition maybe had it’s source code corrupted years ago, I never heard if they reviewed and corrected it.

3.Mandrake = a derivative of Redhat. When I tried it, I never could get it to function properly on the system I was using. It could have been me, it cold have been the old version I was using.

4.SUSE = Very nice fairly use friendly, need to pay to use update service, cut out some security tools out of their build process.

8. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

they sell red hat (all you really get is phone support and less current software albeit very good phone support). Fedora Core is the free distobution by Red Hat. it's 100% free no strings attached. you can update it all you want to. the stupid red hat network thing sucks, but you can use yum to upgrade (or apt-get) just like any other distrobution.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

I would agree with Slack based on these two statments as well.