close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which light??? Procyon,WX150,or TLR-1 C4

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by pens-66, Jan 1, 2010.

1. pens-66

pens-66

Hi guys... I am looking to purchase a new light for my G19. I have a Glock model light but don't like how the end of the light is adjustable to tighten the beam. It always comes loose and doesn't hold. I am looking for a tight,bright beam. What I am looking at is the Procyon,WX150 or the TLR-1 C4. Does any one have any pictures of these lights mounted and even better a picture of the beam or throw of the light...any help would be appreciated. :wavey:

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Of those listed, my first choice would be the Streamlight TLR-1. I've handled them at my local LE dealer and really like them.

3. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I really like my TLR-1 (on G23).

4. crazypilot

crazypilot ERAU Alumni '05

Out of the choices, the TRL-1 wins. My friend does not like the Procyon.

5. sw1911

sw1911

wx150. Fits perfect on the g19.

6. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I started with a SureFire X200A in 2005. In 2006, I added a SureFire X200B. In 2008, I received a LaserMax UNI-GREEN rail mounted laser as a gift, and found that the SureFires were too long-bodied to achieve lock-up beneath the laser. So, I ordered an XTI Procyon. The Procyon, being 1/4" shorter than the SureFires, locks up nicely beneath the green laser; and it gives the SureFires a real run for their money--at $100.00 less!

Please find attached a pic of my G17 with LaserMax UNI-GREEN and XTI Procyon mounted. Inset is the same gun fitted with a SureFire X200A and G18, 33-round magazine.

You are describing a spot beam. The SureFire X200A was a true spot beam (see attached pic), so much so that it could double as a targeting designator on a shotgun! The range is excellent, but it's not the best for indoor use.

Also attached is a pic comparing the excellent SureFire X200B flood beam with the Procyon's flood beam. As you can see, they light a whole room. I'd say we've got apples and apples there...

The SureFire X300 replaces the X200 A&B, and attempts to combine the performance of the two. You can, however, still get the X200B...

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=TACTICAL+LIGHTS:Weapon+Lights

It looks like the WX150 will replace the Procyon...

I've handled the TLR-1 C4, going so far as to take it into a fully darkened Men's Room at my gun shop. Wow! It's easily in the same camp as the other two--and a great bang for the buck! The screw-down rail lock is either a selling point for or against, depending on the shooter's needs. I will say that the SureFire and Procyon appear to be more hardened, for serious field work.

Note: All of our accessories get live-fire tested before they become permanent additions to our equipment.

--Ray

7. dontshakepandas

dontshakepandas

I got the TLR-1 C4 as a Christmas present to myself and was asking myself the same question. The WX150 was a little out of my price range, but in the end that wouldn't have mattered much to me. After a lot of thought, I decided that I did not like or want the strobe function of the procyon and wx150. That made the decision easy for me.

I think I made the right decision. I really like the TLR-1. The screw on mount is really easy to use. Some people didn't like that you had to have a tool to attach or remove it, but you can get it tight enough with your hands if you really need to. You can also use a coin, but I always have my multi-tool with me anyways so it isn't an issue for me.

It is brighter than I thought it would be, since it was rated quite a bit lower than my Fenix PD20 that I carry. I would say that the brightness in the two is pretty much even, and the Fenix was rated at 180 lumens.

Had the TLR-1 on my CZ P-01 for 600 rounds yesterday, and it never budged, and still functioned perfectly, although it was filthy.

For the price, I say you can't beat the TLR-1 unless the strobe feature is really important to you.

8. Tac 5.8

Tac 5.8 Bean counter

Stick with Streamlight TLR-1 C4 LED and you can go no wrong!!

BTW: I have just recently purchased a Surefire X300 and to be honest I think both Surefire X200A/B and X300 are pretty much the same as far as functionality wise.

9. RayB

RayB Retired Member

WTF, are you kidding? :dunno:

Look at the pics I've attached! These are real-life pics! What, do you work for MSNBC? The spin of the day? :upeyes:

The X200A and X200B share nothing in lighting performance! I've shown this! :steamed:

Kindly, don't cloud a useful forum with BS! :faint:

--Ray

10. Tac 5.8

Tac 5.8 Bean counter

Sorry dude I don't mean to offend you in anyway. And I don't mean light performance since I never compare them sides by side if you know what I mean.

11. pens-66

pens-66

I think I will probably try the TLR-1 C4. The Surefire is definately out of my price range right now. I'd like to see a pic like RayB posted of the light being used in a dark room if anyone has one...thanks:wavey:

12. dontshakepandas

dontshakepandas

I'll try to remember to take one later if nobody has posted one by then. Can't do it now since it isn't dark yet....

13. pens-66

pens-66

That would be appreciated...thanks

14. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I too, would love to have a quality pic for comparative reference!

The TLR-1s I've examined are impressive offerings at a sharp price point--the new C4 especially so!

The feedback on these lights has been excellent, and tends to support my mention of the hardening of the three products--SureFire, Insight and Streamlight. We try to be objective here.

While SureFire is the top shelf stuff, in terms of hardening, performance and switch options, there are alternatives that give it a real run for its money, performance-wise--at over $100.00 less!

That I don't own a TLR-1 C4 is more a matter of happenstance, than anything else. For home defense and beside duty, the TLR-1 C4 is plenty. For the battlefield--SureFire all the way! The Procyon and WX150 lie somewhere in between. All are excellent products.

--Ray

15. dontshakepandas

dontshakepandas

Sorry for the picture being so late, but I just walked in the door. Also sorry that it isn't a better quality picture, all I have to take photos is my iPhone. The picture makes the room look a bit dimmer than in real life, but it is fairly accurate. I used the largest room in my home, with high ceilings, so of course it lights up smaller rooms even better.

[​IMG]

16. pens-66

pens-66

Thank you.. Looks like it gives a nice bright spot beam and still gives enough flood to see the entire room as well. I think the TLR-1 C4 maybe the waqy to go.

RayB..thanks for your input as well. If I were an LEO and really needed to depend on a light for everday use the Surefire would probably be the better choice knowing they have been proven during combat. I think for my use as a bedside gun and for range and some ccw shoots the TLR-1 should serve me well. Once I get on I will put it to use and hopefully have more input as well. :wavey:

17. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

TLR-1 C4.

Nuff said.

:supergrin:

18. Flipz

Flipz

I love my Insight WX150. Its a fantastic light!

19. Scott in Houston

Scott in Houston

WX150 by far for me... mainly because mounted and removing is sooo easy. No tool required. You just pull down on two levers on either side of the mount (similar to field stripping the Glock itself), and pull off. It's awesome and the light quality is just as good if not slightly better than the streamlight.
    lastly, I really like the strobe function as an option if you ever decided to use it.

20. Flipz

Flipz

The light output and quality of the WX150 is better then the TLR. I would say the TLR is closer to the Procyon. But even then, the Procyon is built a little bit tougher.

Im not nocking the TLR's, they're great lights for the money. But the Insights are superior.

A plus is that the Insights are a bit shorter in length so they dont stick out past the barrel as much as the others (Streamlight's, Surefire's).

If I were to rank them:

1. Surefire (top of the line but also very expensive)
    2. Insight (fantastic quality equal to Surefire for less money)
    3. Streamlight (great quality economy light, perfect for a low budget)