close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which laptop to get?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by iweb, Feb 25, 2006.

1. iweb

iweb

Thinking of getting a new laptop to replace my desktop so any input on which brand is better and where to buy it? I spent hrs looking at HP and Dell websites and even looked on Ebay and holy crap how do you chose which one? I know I want 15.4 or 16" screen and wireless stuff.

2. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

HP's are actually very good laptops. I have a zv6000 I bought from Circuit City about 7 months ago and it still works great. The only problem I have is that they put crappy hard drives in their laptops (mine was an 80 gig 4200rpm with 2 MB of cache). I upgraded to an 80 gig 7200rpm with 8 MB cache and 1 Gig of ram (up from their 512). The upgrades weren't a necessity, but sure improved gaming performance. So I guess what I am trying to say is go to Circuit City or Best Buy and look around. I paid $949 for mine but I am sure they hae better ones in that price range now. But, in the end, it all comes down to what you like/want.

Wes

3. CheesyD

CheesyD Nyet to Marxism

I bought an Acer TravelMate 8104 about a month ago and love it. Beautiful screen(15.4" SXGA), Pentium M 760 CPU, 1GB DDR2 533 RAM, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X700 video 128MB, 4 USB ports, and built-in wireless. I did download the free Intel PROset/Wireless software from the Intel site to use instead of the Acer wireless software... works much better connecting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115320

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

+1 on Thinkpads. Having used many different laptops, this is the only one I would seriously consider. Also, despite what you see on their website, you can customize them much further. I have T41p which is listed only at 1024x768, yet I have 1400x1050 display which even drives my monitor at home at 1900x1200 DVI.

Also, Thinkpad keyboards are fantastic. After using a Dell Lattitude my hands would hurt for hours (I have CTS). I can type on a Thinkpad without any side effects at all.

Don't just look at laptops online. Go bug your friends, use some.

6. mattyk6

mattyk6

I just recently spec'd out a Dell Inspiron 600, 1.73 Pentium, 1.0 GB of RAM, 80 GB HD, DVD-RW/+RW for about $1050. This is what I will be getting soon.

7. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

After all the problems I've had regarding my dell 9100 I'd have to take the high end notebooks made by dell off the list. I dont know about any others tho.

8. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

All preference really, I happen to think Sony and IBM make the best laptops, but they're also the most expensive. If possible try and get hands-on as much as possible until you find one you like, or vice-versa find a good price and specs on the net and try and find one to get hands-on.

It's a really good idea to purchase whatever extended warranty the manufacturer offers with laptops, they're much more likely to break compared to a desktop computer and cost a fortune to fix. -dok