close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

which IM is okay to download?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hotlunch, Jun 21, 2006.

1. hotlunch

hotlunch

Which messenger is reletively ok to install? I'd like to do Yahoo but it always seems to load wayyyyyy too much junk onto my system. Anyone got any suggestions for an IM that is universal and isn't a parasite to my pc? The Windows messenger that came with my pc sucks I must admit.

2. pyblood

pyblood

3. Specks

Specks

GAIM

Create your yahoo account and use it through gaim.

Gaim supports AIM/ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber and a few others for Windows and Linux.

I've used Trillian in the past, its pretty good as well, but last I checked it wasn't available for Linux.

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

What junk specifically does it load onto your system? I use its VoIP all the time for international conversations, and it is fantastic, head and shoulders above Skype for stability.

I don't think you can use Trilian or Gaim to voicetalk to someone on YIM 7.5.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Do NOT use Yahoo or AIM, both suck. AIM plays these annoying video ads on your PC while online w/ it. I just don't like yahoo.

MSN Messenger isn't much better.

Your best bet, is to create an account on the provider you want(be it yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, whatever), and Use Trillian or GAIM, as suggested above.

I use Trillian Basic, and love it. I don't know what Trillian Pro would offer over the basic version, but if they did away with the basic version, I would buy it. GAIM is ok, I use it under Linux, and it works fine, but I prefer Trillian.

Edit: Just noticed you use Windows Messenger. If you already have friends on Windows Messenger(Its the same as MSN Messenger), I'd strongly suggest Trillian/GAIM. It will allow you to keep your current contacts, and as you gain contacts with other services, simply add new screen names w/ those services.

IGF

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If my previous eperience is correct, when just trying to download Yahoo IM, I got a Yahoo IM, Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Games, Yahoo search engine, all on my desktop, then it kept wanting to install Yahoo Toolbar in Internet Explorer(which I rarely use, but thats beside the point)

I have no real use for VOIP, I guess thats why Trillian/Gaim work fine for me.

7. Dandapani

Dandapani

+1, I use GAIM on my Linux box to access both AIM and YIM for work related discussions with my development team in India.

8. malkore

malkore

Google Talk is nice, but make sure you tell google nto to archive your chat logs on their servers. That doesn't sit nicely with me.

9. neeko

neeko

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Curious, it never happened to me. I just select what I want to install, and that's it. I also do not use Internet Explorer, so it wouldn't even be a concern, but no, it did not install anything there either. I use the latest version (7.5). I update regularly.

I use it at home, I use it as work, I use it for a living, I use it everywhere. :shocked: ;)

So, while I have nothing against Trillian/Gaim otherwise, the lack of a good VoIP implementation was a deal breaker for me.

11. hotlunch

hotlunch

See, I am wary because I've had this very same problem with Yahoo before. I chose the "custom" installation and set it up that way sans added garbage but when all was said and done all that garbage was on my pc, icons and all. I think even if you choose to not install that stuff it still gets downloaded to your pc. Dubious of them.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Trillian does have an audio chat button, but I'm not sure how it works, or if it only works with other people using Trillian Software. The icon comes up no matter what service provider you're using, so my guess is, it works with other Trillian users. Like I mentioned though, I dont use voice chat, so I couldn't tell you how it works.

hotlunch, what did you end up deciding to do?

IGF

13. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

I run Trillian but it's a very old version that looks and works just like the old ICQ program from back in like 10 years ago.

+1 for GAIM though. I have used it for extended periods of time when running PCLinuxOS and have had good luck with it.

14. Kanos

Kanos Why yes.

I use trillian, as well. It works well, very well.

15. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Same here.

16. RoyG

RoyG NSDQ

+1 on Trillian

17. hotlunch

hotlunch

hotlunch, what did you end up deciding to do?

IGF [/B][/QUOTE]

Still deciding. I'm not a big "chatter" but my buds keep asking me to use one. Mostly these are AOL people (they're friends so I won't call them idiots, but...) and they like all that cutsey cutsey IM stuff. I know it does come in handy in trading files though.

Yahoo seems the most prevalent for what I want but I also hate how parasitical it is. I tried Yahelite ages ago but it was really light. Not alot of options.

Now I'm confused between GAIM and Trillian. Ah, one choice is too many, a thousand are never enough!

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

They do essentially the same thing. No need to stress about it, you'll probably be happy w/ either one. If your friends are using AOL, then all you need is something that supports the AOL AIM client. Trillian and GAIM both do, and are fairly straight forward to set up. Like you, most of my friends are on AOL, and thats how I talk to them. Those audio ads are insanely annoying AOLs AIM, and I'd have to tell them to download Yahoo if that was our only option..lol

Good luck
    IGF

19. Nyper

Nyper

+1 for GAIM. I won't use anything else. It is bad for transferring files, but if people can't email it to me, I probably don't need it.

20. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

I use GAIM as well, for both professional and personal communication.

I run it on both my windows and linux boxes.

Another nice thing w/ GAIM is that if you install the Meanwhile plugin, you can access a Lotus Sametime network. Many large businesses use Sametime as an inhouse messaging client, and with this plugin, I can bind AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Sametime, SIP, etc all into one client.