close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which hunting rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by emt1581, Jun 26, 2004.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'd like to buy myself a good hunting rifle.

I was thinking of something in .308 bolt action with a black synthetic stock and a decent scope.

Is one company more durable and respected than another?

Also, is the .308 the best suited caliber for hunting? Not looking to drop an elephant, but I'm curious what limits if any a .308 has. Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

A .308 is a great hunting round. Not the biggest, but it is not the smallest either. What are you looking to hunt and at what range?

I like the Remington 700's, but a lot of guys like browning A-Bolts a lot too. Supposedly, Savage makes a good rifle for a good price.

3. firminw

firminw

Best kept secret in rifledom. They come in synthetic, I think. If not they make one in a Boyd's JRS laminate stock. Howa used to, and maybe still, makes the Weatherby Vanguard rifle. As for the 308 it is one of the best all around calibers extant. You can hunt everything from "Dawgs and Hawgs" to Elk and Moose. Of course there may be better rounds for both extremes but with 308 you are suitably equipped for most hunting on this or any other continent. With most loadings you are right at 30-06 power and energy. On the heavier stuff you are somewhere in between 300 Savage and ought six. If you cant tell I'm a big fan of 308,( I have 3), it's just about as close to an all arounder as your gonna find. If you reload it's easy on powder and darned workable. If you buy one Go with God and good huntin'.

4. jtshombre

jtshombre

Just my 2 cents, but I have used a Remington 700 ADL in .270 since the mid 70's, and have killed deer, antelope, and it's even got one moose to it's credit, and if I did my part, it did it's. I've had lots of one shot kills with it, and it's never let me down. Flatest shooting rifle round I've ever used, although my 7 MM magnum did a pretty convincing job last Nov.,

Get a good one, that you're comfortable with tho, you'll be carrying it alot, and you need one that you can shoot with confidence, nothing worse than seeing dirt fly and seeing a tail sticking up in the air as it makes track to the next county cuz you missed, I know, it makes you wanna cry sometimes! ;P

GOod luck with you selection whatever it is, take care

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I saw a few .308's at Wallyworld the other day. Not to expensive, but I'm guessing after I do my homework I'll find that they are the cheapest.

Thanks for all the replies by the way. :) It's much appreciated when someone shares their .02.

I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. Something that comes with a larger cap. mag (5+ shots) and maybe even a scope. What magnification power and scope brand should I be looking for? Feel free to share any other useful info. Thanks again!

-Emt1581

6. firminw

firminw

Man I've been gettin' jumped on all over this site for sharin' my opinion but here goes. A good 3 x 9 is hard to beat. On 2 of my 308's I have low powered varibles, 1.5 x 5 , and on my HK 91 I have a 3 x 9. I'm no pseudo SpecOps type so I dont need something to shoot the hairs off a spizeldink. The 308 in most hands, as are most guns, are only really useful to say 350 yds. Please keep your shots to sane distance and leave the long or questionable ones to the braggarts and liars. Stick to 40mm objective and you wont have height hassles when mounting or looking through it. The 50's dont offer that much more light and they usually mess up your cheek weld when trying to aim. Quality doesn't have to mean high price, a good top o' the line Simmons or Bushnell are darned hard to beat. Leupold is now offering a lower priced line but they aren't any better than the ones I already listed. There are several on-line sellers one of which is SWFC, I think, that offers several brands a reasonable prices. I hope this helps and good huntin'

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks for the info. Any particular brand I should look for in terms of a scope? I know next to nothing about scopes, so the more you can share the better.

I've never actually shot out of a scope before. When I was capt. of the rifle team a few years ago, we shot with open sights at 1/2 dollar sized targets 50' away.

I was always told that scopes actually screw up accuracy by my coach because even the slightest movement (pulse, heartbeat, stomach churning) would give the aim a little bounce when looking through the scope.

Thanks again and keep the info coming if you please :)

-Emt1581

8. Dieseler

Dieseler Temet nosce

I've been looking for a .308 hunting rifle as well and for all my reading I think I've decided to go with a Savage 10FP.

My other choices were Remington 700 or a Browning Abolt, but for the 10FP really appeals to me considering what you get for the price. Tough call really cause I've loved every Browning I've ever shot!

You mentioned WallyWorld, you'd be amazed the rifles they can order that are not stocked in the store! Browning, Savage, Winchestor, Ruger ect ect. Their website has a .pdf catalog that you can download with all the models and prices.

If scopes actually messed up accuracy, I doubt police and military snipers would be using them ;a

9. IDC

IDC

im a big fan of the Rem.700 action but many like the Win.70 type. 308 is a great round and if you hand load .30 cal can be had in many weights. depending on what you plan on doing with it would help a bit in choice. in woods most shots are 75 yrds max a mod. 7 is very nice and availible in 308 bit of a kick because of lite weight where in open area a 700 PSS in 308 can reach out and let them know you care as can a 40X but im not bringing that unless im going to lie down and look though a scope

10. mbecker

mbecker

Look at the Tikka. Just bought my 14 year old son a Tikka in a .270; it shoots and feels as good as my Browning A-Bolt. I would buy one for myself if I needed another rifle.

11. Dieseler

Dieseler Temet nosce

To the best of my knowledge the Win Mod70 is not available in .308. Closest would be a 30-06 which is still a very nice hunting round!

12. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

Get a Remington 700 in .30-06 and you will be all set for anything on the continent except maybe the larger bears. It is an extremely versatile cartridge and it easy to reload if thats your thing. It also gets you about 200 fps more for any given load than .308.

The Remington 700 is the Gold Standard of modern bolt guns. It is a rock solid design, and both of mine shoot sub-MOA out out of the box.

The Remington 700 ADL Synthetic, in your choice of chamberings, can be had at Wal-Mart for under $400.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700adsyn.htm

For glass, I am a Leupold man. Lately I've been favoring the 2-7x33, but the 3-9x40 is fine as well. I've tried other Glass, and some works fine, but Leupold is my choice. It is durable and consistently returns to zero if you need to make adjustments. It also carries an unconditional lifetime warranty, although I've never known anyone who needed to return one.

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm not trying to change the subject, but since I'm asking about hunting rifles...why is it that everyone seems to emphasize the power needed to kill a bear?

I have never killed a bear so I personally have no clue what it would take, but from what I've read on GT, the bear is the Humvee of the animal kingdom.

I've heard from a buddy of mine that shooting a 12 gauge at a bear will just piss it off. I've also read on here that a great defense against a bear is the same 12 gauge.

I've read that my G20 could bring down a bear (with the DoubleTap loads), and even saw a pic of a guy somewhere sitting in front of a bear holding his G20 in front of him. However, most on here say a 10mm would just enrage it.

Before I go out and buy a .50 BMG, will someone please explain what kevlar a bear has and where I can get some like it? ;e

Is this animal really that invincible? Thanks.

-Emt1581

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

you can kill bears with a 10mm, been there done, that, got the rug on the wall.

the 308 and 30-06 can and will kill a bear dead as yesterdays lunch, but other rounds like the 300 wm and 338 will do it faster. and when a bear is pissed and trying to munch on you, fast is what you want. That said, the best hunter I know, has killed every game animal in AK with a 308, and all game animals in the lower 48 other than cougar with a 308. most animals 10-15 times, including 3 buffalo..... Its what I use unless I'm going for bear, then I take the 375 out.

15. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i like my remington 700ltr in .308 for my hunting purposes, infact, that was the sole purpose i bought it for and it is solid.

16. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

No question the LTR is a great rifle. What kind of velocities do you get out of the 20" barrell when compared to a standard 22" or 24" tube?

My major complaint with the LTR is that they only offer it in short-action cailbers.

I think I am going to save up for an M24 chambered in .300 Win Mag...

17. CodeBlue23

CodeBlue23

As for hunting scopes a 3-9 is all you should need. I have a Leupold 3-9x50mm on my Rem 700 ADL .30-06 and I really like this setup. I would recommend a 50mm objective if you plan on doing any hunting at dusk and dawn, as this allows more light intake.

As far as brands, if you want a good quality scope, go ahead and buy a Leupold,(VX-II or VX-III), Swarovski, or Zeiss scope. (Yes, I'm sure there are other nice ones, but these are the most common and certainly the most popular with the deer hunters.

As for caliber, .308, .270, .30-06 are all in the same ballpark, it really doesn't matter which one you choose. If you are looking MAG, don't overlook the new Winchester WSM (Winchester Short Magnum) loads, as they offer superior balistics to their Magnum predecessors, shorter action on the bolt, and supposedly less recoil. The only drawback is they are slightly more expensive. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but does anybody else have any experience with the WSM?

Oh yeah one last thing, the .30-06 was the first caliber used by one person to kill every species of big game in North America.

18. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

CodeBlue, what kind of ring and base setup do you have on your ADL Aynthetic with the 50mm Leupold?

I have the same rifle with a VX-II 3-9x40 on it, and I had a hard time finding a mounting setup that would allow the objectice to clear the rear sight and give me good eye relief. I currently have Weaver sea-through rings with integral bases, and they jusr barely give me the clearance I need...

19. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

im not sure, ive never chronoed it?
    ive just gone by ballistic chart information for a specific load out of a 20" tube. i mean, even if im not getting a full 2700fps out of a 150gr. load it will still drop that deer no problem and that is what matters to me...

theoretically a 20" tube is supposed to be the minimum length to get an efficient burn with the .308 cartridge.
    when hunting, i really like the compact size of the gun especially when still hunting in the thickets.

remington also offers their 700P full length model in 7mm rem mag.

20. lomfs24

lomfs24

Let's start with the "bear" question since it is a little OT. Most people, when they say "bear" are speaking of a Grizzly or Alaskan Brown bear. I live in bear country and have yet to see one in the wild so I can't comment on the type of kevlar they sport. The problem with bear is that they have an extremely thick sloped skull. If you shoot a bear between the eyes with anything short of a .50 it will make him mad. On the other hand, back when it was legal to do so there was a guy not too far from here that routinely shot grizzlies with a .22 Long rifle. Most people, when confronted by a bear are loaded with adreneline(sp?), lose all common sense and start winging lead. Then when shots are not well placed the bear gets enraged and the myth and not-so-urban legends begin. Black bear however are not really much larger than a deer. A good sized on in this area being 6.5 to 7 in length. They also will sustain a good shot to the head but are much less invinsible when shot in the torso. I hope that helps.

About rifles. I am not a huge fan of the .308. It is a good all around cartridge but I personally think there are other better all arounders too. 25-06, 30-06, 270 7mm mag to name a few common ones. I think most any rifle that is between the 25 to 30 caliber would make a decent all around rifle. Each have their strength and weakness. The .308 weakness, IMHO, is that it has a pretty sharp drop compared to some of the others I have mentioned. The .308 strong point is also the drop. It is extremely predictable. If you are familiar with your rifle you can easily do damage out to 500 yards. These are, of course, my own opinion and are not to be taken as gossipel. They are how I judge and would purchase a rifle if it was to be an all arounder. I personally shoot a 300 Win Mag for elk, simply for range. 17 Rem, 2-250, 223 and soon the newer Ruger 204 for deer. If I had to pick one gun to shoot for all seasons it would probably be a 25-06 or 30-06.
    There have been some nice rife types mentioned in this thread. However, if I had to get a workhorse rifle that would spend countless days or weeks in the field with me and would take some bumps and bruises it would definatly be a Savage.