Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My CC permit expired last week and I asked my wife to come to the sheriffs and while I renewed my CC permit she applied for her own permit. I asked her to do that so when I need to enter some place where a weapon is not allowed, I could hand off my gun to her. I have only been "legally" carrying a gun for five years. My first legal hand gun purchase was a Glock 23 .40 caliber that I found a bit too big to comfortably carry concealed. I then bought a Glock 27 and found it stung my hands too much, taking the fun out of practice. I settled on Glock 29 10mm. I learned how to handle this weapon very well. I'm 6 foot and 180 pounds. The G29 with very hot ammo tends to push me back but does not sting my hands and I can maintain control and get fast follow up shoots on target. I installed a private shooting range on my own property and practiced. Over the past five years I have became a fairly good shot and carry my G29 any time I leave the house. Sometimes I forget it's on me and carry it within my house. See my Avatar....

After we returned from the sheriff's office my wife surprised by asking me to teach her how to shoot. My wife is a small boned 77 year old lady with tiny fingers and arthritis in one hip. I do not think that any of my Glocks would be fun for her to fire. Maybe she cold handle the G23 but it would fill her purse. I'm thinking about buying her a small caliber, high velocity weapon that would be effective but fun for her to shoot. I'm not locked into Glocks. Can someone recommend a self defense hand gun for a sweet little old lady?

Thanks.

·
Bird Catcher
2,762 Posts
Glock 42. I bought one and my wife promptly stole it. She and I both shoot it well, it’s been very reliable and easy to conceal. It’s just big enough to where the recoil is very manageable unlike some very small, hard to shoot 380s.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Hands down, G42. Just don't be offended if she is dotting your i's made with that G29, with her G42 in just a few months. Maybe the easiest handgun to shoot well I have ever owned.

·
Registered
983 Posts
My Wife is a small 60 year old cancer survivor with arthritis. We shot a lot of guns and she prefers a Glock 42 and the Sig Sauer P238 as carry guns. Close rtunner up is the Sig P290 in .380.

YMMV.

VooDoo

·
NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
726 Posts
My CC permit expired last week and I asked my wife to come to the sheriffs and while I renewed my CC permit she applied for her own permit. I asked her to do that so when I need to enter some place where a weapon is not allowed, I could hand off my gun to her. I have only been "legally" carrying a gun for five years. My first legal hand gun purchase was a Glock 23 .40 caliber that I found a bit too big to comfortably carry concealed. I then bought a Glock 27 and found it stung my hands too much, taking the fun out of practice. I settled on Glock 29 10mm. I learned how to handle this weapon very well. I'm 6 foot and 180 pounds. The G29 with very hot ammo tends to push me back but does not sting my hands and I can maintain control and get fast follow up shoots on target. I installed a private shooting range on my own property and practiced. Over the past five years I have became a fairly good shot and carry my G29 any time I leave the house. Sometimes I forget it's on me and carry it within my house. See my Avatar....

After we returned from the sheriff's office my wife surprised by asking me to teach her how to shoot. My wife is a small boned 77 year old lady with tiny fingers and arthritis in one hip. I do not think that any of my Glocks would be fun for her to fire. Maybe she cold handle the G23 but it would fill her purse. I'm thinking about buying her a small caliber, high velocity weapon that would be effective but fun for her to shoot. I'm not locked into Glocks. Can someone recommend a self defense hand gun for a sweet little old lady?

Thanks.
This sounds familiar. My mom wanted a gun to shoot. She's in her early 80s with arthritis in her hands. I'm such a Glockaholic that I suggested the G42. I didn't realize it but she really couldn't work the slide. With that said I would recommend a revolver. Ruger makes the LCR (I believe that's what it is called) I think that would be good for her. Good shooting

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
OP, take your wife to the gun shop and see if she
can pull the slide back on the different pistols.

A revolver may be better for her.

One woman we trained had arthritis so bad that the only
gun we found she could shoot was a SA 22lr revolver,
she got a Ruger Single Six, she only had six shots, she
could not load the gun because her hands were so drawn up.

I really felt bad for her, hope she never needed to use that gun,
it is better than nothing.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Let your wife pick the gun she wants. Just because it works for you; doesn't mean it will work for her. If it doesn't work for her, she won't train with it, won't carry it. SWMBO prefers revolvers (she has several), and shoots them well at 7 yards. She doesn't like racking slides, and malfunction drills are much easier on a revolver. A J frame will carry easily most anywhere.

If she's not going to the range at least once a month, let her get the gun with the simplest operation. If she's going to get seriously into guns, there will be time and room for multiple guns later on.

The easiest slide I've found to rack is a Remington RM380. I have women friends that can't rack an LCP or a Glock; but they can rack a RM380. When I take a new shooter out, I take a selection of guns. It's easy to see which ones they gravitate to.

·
Registered
32,890 Posts
This sounds familiar. My mom wanted a gun to shoot. She's in her early 80s with arthritis in her hands. I'm such a Glockaholic that I suggested the G42. I didn't realize it but she really couldn't work the slide. With that said I would recommend a revolver. Ruger makes the LCR (I believe that's what it is called) I think that would be good for her. Good shooting
The slide issue is something to think about. I've seen it with some older/medical issues people. But also with them the DA of a revolver is almost impossible. But they can cock a hammer with their palm. In my opinion a DA/SA revolver with the push button cylinder release and enough weight to absorb recoil, but not too much weight to be heavy, is a possibility. That describes the Ruger SP-101 or maybe a short barrel GP-100, whicever is more comfortable to handle, cock, hold out, aim, dry fire, and like :)

Ruger push button release is easier than the standard S&W slide cylinder release.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Take her to your favorite shop and, let her decide. After she "kicks the tires" on some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Unless she has been shooting semi auto pistol for a long time , at her age and size I would get her a steel frame revolver with a hammer , like a S&W 36 or 60 . The weight of the steel frame will soak up some of the recoil . The hammer will allow her to have a lighter trigger pull .

Really , what you and I think is best for her may not be what she thinks . Take her to the gun store and let her decided , but it doesn't hurt to have a list for her to look at . If possible find a range that rents that model and let her shoot it first before buying .

·
Registered
110 Posts
On the topic of recoil and revolvers...And if recoil is an issue, there are some nice LITE loads for .38s and the new CCI Big4 ShotShell is also an easy to shoot load and does seem to be "discouraging" (based on spread pattern) at 10 to 15 feet.

·
Know-It-All
2,382 Posts
When she finally agreed to get a handgun that was more effective than the old .32 S&W revolver that she had for years I took her to the local range along with a range bag full of my smallest pistols. Didn't like any of them and ended up getting the same model Sig P238 that the (female) instructor was using. Moral to the story is that you probably don't own the gun she's going to want once she gets to try some out.

Reactions: dudel

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
In todays day and age you just go to the range and rent some guns.
Many years ago we didnt have this option.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Bought my wife a S&W Shield for Christmas one year,she loves it and wouldn't even consider parting with it.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Bought my wife a S&W Shield for Christmas one year,she loves it and wouldn't even consider parting with it.
Shields are not the easiest guns to rack the slide and for a 77 year old I would never recommend it! A Walther PPS M2, yes.
I will add that the Shield is the hardest slide to rack out of any handgun I own, and I own many!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts