close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which gun should I buy?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glockster_221, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

Hi guys. I want a handgun for several purposes: home defense and target shooting. This will be my first gun, so I wanted something that will cover more than one category. I can't CCW in my state, so I want a full size gun (especially since I have bear claws).

I've shot multiple platforms on many calibers, and I really want to start with a 9mm, I just love the round overall. Here are some criteria that the gun should meet:

1. Full size 9mm
    2. Amazing accuracy for the price (to be specified)
    3. Glass-smooth trigger
    4. Should be attractive (I like how Sigs and HKs look)
    5. Under $1000 after tax (the gun itself, not any accessories such as a ammo, kit, and a safe that I will buy with it).

I've shot a Sig 226, loved it. I've shot a Glock 17, loved it (doesn't do it anymore for me in the aesthetics department though). I've really been interested in shooting an XDM and HK USP in 9. Shot a couple 1911s, I love 'em (but I want a 9mm first and I do NOT want a 1911 in 9mm).

Let me have it!

2. chris in va

chris in va

I'm partial to all-steel and really enjoy shooting my CZ 75B. The ergonomics are amazing for people with larger hands such as myself, feels like it was custom made.

Trigger out of the box is not that great, but a good gunsmith can smooth it out nicely.

Can't go wrong with that Sig 226 you mentioned. Good used ones can be had for about 40% less than the current crop and you won't notice any difference.

Here's a surprise...my Kahr K9. Small and thin, but for some reason they nailed the ergos just right with this thing and it's one of my favorite shooters. Kahr also makes a T9 with a longer grip and slide. Trigger is very smooth.

3. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

The CZ-75 is an awesome choice. Get a competent gunsmith to work on the trigger (maybe make it SA, with parts from CZ custom), and change the sights to target sights.

The .22LR Kadet conversion for the 75's is by far the best .22 conversion out there. It is expensive, but worth it.

4. F-Trooper05

F-Trooper05

H&K P7, without question. Yes, I know it's not technically a full size, but it gives new meaning to the word "accuracy." It has a cult following for a reason.

Anyways, if your stuck deciding between a P226 and a USP, here's a pretty good video comparing the two side by side... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5aO58_fwGk

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Full sized Walther P99. I prefer the quick action (QA) model. They make compact versions too.

6. snewsoG22

snewsoG22 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

Glass trigger? Glock 17? :rofl::rofl:

Not to hate, I have a 17, but it does not have a glass trigger. I would recommend a Beretta M9/92fs. Just a simple American classic. Also, the CZ's are nice too...but Glock with a glass trigger made me laugh a little:tongueout: :cheers:

Capt

8. samuse

samuse

How is a Sig, XD or an H&K more attractive than a Glock? CZ's, IMO are a hideous gun with their inside out slide and huge trigger guard and grip with the muzzle end of the slidemilled down like a Hi-Power, they look like a flat chested chick with a huge butt.

As far as the accuracy goes, any of the pistols mentioned are going to be more accurate than you can likely shoot.

Glass-like trigger? Not hard with the CZ, but not something I'd try to do with any of the others.

I like the H&Ks, but what can they really do that a Glock won't? That's why I don't have one.

I hate a D/A S/A mix-up, so Sig has never done it for me.

I tried a CZ, but the ergos killed it for me. I regularly shoot (and like) a Glock 21, but I couldn't reach the thumb safety on the CZ. Ruled out condition 1. A 75B doesn't have a decocker, so you have to lower the hammer on a live round to utilize the D/A. I was going through some drills trying to use the D/A first pull. My hands were sweaty and the hammer slipped through my fingers, gun was tucked against my chest, but safely pointed downrange. I immediately took that P.O.S. and traded it in on a Glock 19. Best $200 I ever lost:rofl:

I have some XDs and still have one, but S.A. is stingy with their parts and the reset of the XD trigger is kinda vague and spongy, even on the M. I can feel the higher bore axis (some people don't notice) and it slows down my splits and one handed shooting.

That's just how I wound up with the lowly Glock 17.

9. tx787

tx787

If you're in CA and not a LEO you can't get an XDm so take that off the list. Same with the HK P30 and Gen4 Glock 17.

The G17 actually has a great trigger but I'd say get a Sig P226, they are really excellent guns. TGS has one that's all stainless and CA approved, I think that would satisfy all 5 of your requirements.

If you're trigger obsessed you need to test the SRT option to see if that's something you want, some people think it's a lot better, some people think it's a lot worse.

10. loki993

loki993

With your criteria roll some dice or flip a coin. Aside from the trigger thing just about any 9mm fits.

Do you want new or used? Does it matter? If you go used you can get lots that fit your criteria and wont have to spend anywhere near 1k.

I have a West German p226 and I love it. Only complaint I could have about it is that the grip is a bit beefy for my hands, nothing a short trigger wont fix though.

TGS has p225 and p228 trade ins right now at some good prices. Not full size but not tiny either.

HK USP9s are nice and accurate from what I hear, but I haven't heard good things about the trigger.

All that stuff is very subjective though.

Personally I really like the look of the Jericho 941s and they have been going for crazy low prices lately. Not full size though.

Another one nobody has surprisingly mentioned it the BHP. It hits just about all your criteria. Single action trigger pull too. One of the best looking guns ever made :dunno: maybe along with the HK P7 and 1911 of course.

Oh and trust me you DO want a 9mm 1911, lol. I know I do.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  11. youngvr4

youngvr4

12. tx787

tx787

Guys the OP is in CA, can't get anything off roster unless he's a LEO which we currently assume he isn't.

13. Ruggles

Ruggles

Hard to go wrong with the Beretta 92 in a all around 9mm handgun. It can even serve as a CCW in a pinch.

CZ75 would be just as strong an option.

14. loki993

loki993

I sure do like that. Gotta get me one of those someday. Id like one of the single action ones. Don't know what my deal with single action is lately.

I shot a regular M9 style one a while back and it was definitely a sweet shooter.

15. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

First gun? Get a .22.

Also consider long guns. Not only hand guns.

16. hoven88

hoven88 Wannabe

HK USP in 9mm with LEM trigger, feels like glass to me...
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. panzer1

panzer1 NRA MEMBER

I would say the cz75b or 75bd also but the trigger is fine on mine.Just shoot it some like 300-500 rounds & the trigger will fell just fine mine does.

18. brausso

brausso

Guns kill people. Don't buy one!

Just kidding. I love sigs. The p226 is a great choice and fits all the criteria you're looking for

19. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

I've always thought the P7 was too small and TOO UGLY. Sorry, I know there are alot of P7 lovers out there, but I really don't like how they look. If I don't like how they look, I'm not going to buy one, no matter how accurate they are.

Thanks for the awesome video link!

Haha! I know what you mean, the G17 by no means has a glass trigger, and that's not what I was implying! If you want glass trigger, shoot a Springfield TRP!

I think the closest thing to a glass trigger on the guns you guys mentioned is the Sig 226. I just wish it had a lot less take up and shorter reset. I guess I can hire a gun smith to take care of that.

I still want to shoot the USP and XD though. The USP is really sexy and feels great in my hand, but I've heard some negatives about the trigger. I guess I'll have to shoot one.