Which gun for silhouette shooting\carry?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jeanjvr, Jun 30, 2007.

1. jeanjvr

jeanjvr

Hi all,

Because of our country's gun law I can only own two pistols;
    one for sport and the other for self defense or sport.

I already own a browning target .22LR that I shoot silhouette with and I like it very much.

I also own a Taurus PT 58 in 380acp. I want to sell my Taurus and buy another pistol that I can shoot silhouette with and still carry. I have wanted to "upgrade" to at least 9mmP for a while now anyway.

Also, stating that the new pistol's main purpose would be sport shooting would theoretically ease the firearm licensing process.(Yes - it's that sad)

So my questions would be:

1. What pistol would you recommend? I've been thinking about a Glock 17 or 22.

2. What caliber? Obviously 9mmP would be the most affordable to shoot.

Thanks

jvr

Edit: Damn,posted in wrong forum. Thought I was in the general sports section.

2. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

JVR,

Welcome to "GSSF" at Glocktalk.

In my opinion, your best choice for "self defense" would be the G22 in .40 or a G21 in ,45 ACP but understanding your country's laws and availability of ammo at a fair price, the G17 chambered in 9MM would be your best choice. If you are planning to carry the weapon regulary, I would suggest the Intermediate frame size and go with a G19, mounted with a good set of night sights.

As for your silhouette gun, any target grade .22 LR would be a great choice.

Please keep in mind, if you would prefer a handgun to be used for hunting, the Glock 21, Glock 37 or Glock 20 would be excellent choices. The .45, .45GAP and 10MM rounds are sufficient for most game except elephants, of course :sad: . If you chose to mount a tube scope or red dot, our CARVER Mounting system will allow you to accomplish that task without any modifications to your gun when using the Hunter model.

If we can assist you from the GSSF forum, just let us know.

Regards,
    Bobby Carver

3. jeanjvr

jeanjvr

BCarver,

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, no game may be taken with semi-auto weapons. I think there are some exceptions such as hunting warthog and problem animals. I've read about guys hunting warthog in sugar cane fields with .45acp in our local shooting mag Magnum Magazine.

I've read of the mounting system in the same mag. It was an American gun writer, I think Paul Scarlata?, that fitted a red dot sight to his Glock 22. He regularly reviews handguns for our local mag.

http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/Hunters4u.ivnu

I want to actually carry the gun and shoot silhouette with it. I have held Glocks in the gunstore, but never actually fired one; we can't rent guns. I know they are excellent service guns, but would their trigger pull and standard \night sights be suitable for silhouette targets out to about 50m?

Unfortunately RSA is not a gun friendly place, so I'll have to choose a gun very carefully.It's an expensive and time consuming process.

4. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Having shot silhouettes in the past, I would recommend a .90" front sight and use a .150" diameter rear notch for maximum sight exposure. I was not aware of the limitations you may have in your country. Understanding the decisions you are faced with, you may find that the Glock, with a fine tuned trigger will allow you to shoot silhouettes at 50M. If you are not comfortable with the double action trigger, you may want to consider a 1911 style handgun. If so, I would recommend Kimber, Springfield Armory or Smith & Wesson. They all build good accurate guns out of the box and their single stage trigger would be more forgiving. In fact, with some drop in parts like the Koenig sear and hammer, you could get a trigger that's less than 2 lbs (US).

If you have any other questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
    Bobby

5. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Several years ago there was a conversion unit that turned a 1911 pistol into a powerful single-shot.

At different times it was called the "Pachmayr Dominator" or the "Springfield Armory Single Shot" or "S.A.S.S." unit.

It was made in several cartridges, including 7.62x51mm NATO/.308 Winchester.

I think they have been have been out of production for a number of years, but perhaps you could search around the Internet and find a suitable one at a reasonable price somewhere.