close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which GPS?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Puppy, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Puppy

Puppy

I'm in the market for a GPS system, I don't know anything about them but I did like the one that I had on my phone mostly because it "talked" to me (told me directions & stuff, not because it was lonely or anything).

Suggestions? advice?

2. Murph33

Murph33

I have a Garmin Nuvi and like it a lot. You can turn the volume of the voice on/off and up/down to your liking. As with most GPS systems the map is easy to read.

3. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Check out www.gpsreview.net they are the Glocktalk of GPS units.

Do you have a smartphone? Downloading some software for that might be your best/cheapest option. Otherwise there are a number of good standalone units out there.

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

I have the Garmin 255w, give 175 bucks for the thing. It does all I need it to do:thumbsup:

5. AAshooter

AAshooter

What are you using it for? Are you looking for a GPS unit for your car? Hunting? Hiking?

6. Puppy

Puppy

Well I'd like to be able to use it in my truck but I'd also like to be able to mount it to my motorcycle &/or to take camping and stuff too, so portable would be nice.

I don't really need a lot of features other than the voice thing & maybe the ability to update the maps occasionally, oh and I really don't want to have to pay a monthly/yearly "subscription fee" in order to use it either.

7. woodasptim

woodasptim

Garmin Nuvi - make sure it has the voice recognition feature. I figured it would suck, but the one that I wanted anyway had it. Now, I couldn't live without it. It works beautifully.

8. mackasenbach

mackasenbach

Nothing but good to say about Garmin. Got one of the first Nuvi's
    Cool tech. Upgradeable configureable has an english accent if you want
    Saved me arse a couple of times
    Cant get Magellan to call me back Must be my demeanor

9. Slacker

Slacker Millennium Member

Check out the Garmin Zumo line. They are made for motorcycles. The major difference is the water proofing. If you don't ride in the rain then the Nuvi would do just fine. The second difference is the price, the Zumo is about twice as much as a Nuvi.

10. community

community Member

I like my Tom Tom 124. works for me.

11. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Garmin Nuvi 255 has all you need and gives spoken street name directions. My wife and I paid $180.00 apiece for them when they came out over a year ago. Now you can get them for $120.00 The only difference between the 255W and the 255 is screeen size, 3.5 as opposed to 4.2" wide. I don't have a problem with the 3.5" screen but some do. Garmin NuMaps Guarantee gives you one free download of their latest maps within 60 days of the date of purchase. They update the maps about 4 times a year so although your unit will come with the latest maps future updates will cost. It's around 60 dollars for a one time update and $110 for a lifetime subscription. They're not waterproof so using it camping or on a motorcycle could be problematic. They do have about a 4 hour battery life so they can be used outside the vehicle. My wife travels a lot for work and hers has been invaluable. I'm headed to FL Friday and plan to use it exclusively to guide me.

12. crazyrec12

crazyrec12 cornbread

Had them all ...go with anything Garmin...much better system

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  13. Viper16

Viper16

I have a Nuvi and love it. Stay away from Magellen...they freeze alot. I also tried to update my magellen and it bricked the whole unit.

Garmin all the way!

14. southernshooter

southernshooter

Another tom tom user. No problems with it.

15. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Garmin Nuvi for the total win. Easy to use, update and GREAT customer service. I love mine! :thumbsup:

Do NOT buy a Motorla Motovav. Do not, do not, do NOT. I got one just to play with it and its a pain in the butt.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  16. The Hawk

The Hawk

Garmin Nuvi user here. It has been one of the best things I have ever had.
    Many times it has made a trip much easier just by finding a fuel station, restaurant, etc. not to mention keeping me from getting lost many times.

17. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

Man, another GPS choosing thread. Most people will say Nuvi because they are good and easier to find accessories for, mounts,etc.

I have about 6 GPS's I have acquired in Pawn shops, etc. Cant turn down a good deal. Nuvi's are good except they do not give you many customization choices but for the beginner that is a good thing.

I currently use my tomtom because it has a cool voice prompt feature for address input: "what city please?" Seattle! "what street please?" pike place!.

It has been very good so far plus has bluetooth for the phone and music playback. I got that one for a song at a pawn shop. Oh yeah, also has lane guidance which is cool.

18. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

9mm vs. 45ACP

GLOCK vs. XD

:rofl:

Sorry, no help, but I doubt you can find one that doesn't do what is intended.

19. ocala

ocala

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=382

This is a discontinued model you could get for much less than a Zumo! A little bigger, but waterproof for your bike and has alot of cool features. Uses new type of maps (for future updateability) and you can install custom POI's.

Other than that pick the Garmin you want based on features. I think a refurb unit on the bay with a factory warranty and a map update included is the way to go. I have several, everything from use in a plane, boat, car or walking.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with Garmin. Good Luck!

20. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Any Nuvi "W" model will serve you well.